The Student Room Group

rate my bmat essay

You must be honest and open and act with integrity. A doctor must conduct their self in an open and honest manner, delivering information clearly to the patient and not withholding information that should be divulged.Acting with integrity means standing by your moral principles and allowing external factors to influence your morality.

These three aforementioned attributes are essential skills that a good doctor should possess.Honesty and openness allow a doctor to cultivate a relationship with patients.Honesty is paramount to patients as they have a right to be fully aware of their medical condition and actions taking place regarding it.Complete openness allows a doctor to sympathise and empathise with their patients whereas integrity ensures an equal treatment of all patients,regardless of demographic.

A doctor may be justified in lapses in both honesty and openness, but not integrity as it could lead to a difference in the quality of care received by some patients.For instance, if a patient has a disease with psychosomatic symptoms adn delivering bad news would only contribute to harming their health, then the doctor is justified in withholding information ,in line with Hippocrates` "do no harm".This may also apply in instances where doctors have to withhold information to respect a patient`s right to confidentiality.Overall, honesty,openness and integrity are invaluable skills for a doctor to possess to help with their patient relationships,though there may be instances where they can be less than perfectly honest.

i feel like its so bad. only my 2nd essay though. any tips are appreciated
Reply 1
What's the title? It would help to see what the question specifically asks
Reply 2
Original post by shredder-21
You must be honest and open and act with integrity. A doctor must conduct their self in an open and honest manner, delivering information clearly to the patient and not withholding information that should be divulged.Acting with integrity means standing by your moral principles and allowing external factors to influence your morality.

These three aforementioned attributes are essential skills that a good doctor should possess.Honesty and openness allow a doctor to cultivate a relationship with patients.Honesty is paramount to patients as they have a right to be fully aware of their medical condition and actions taking place regarding it.Complete openness allows a doctor to sympathise and empathise with their patients whereas integrity ensures an equal treatment of all patients,regardless of demographic.

A doctor may be justified in lapses in both honesty and openness, but not integrity as it could lead to a difference in the quality of care received by some patients.For instance, if a patient has a disease with psychosomatic symptoms adn delivering bad news would only contribute to harming their health, then the doctor is justified in withholding information ,in line with Hippocrates` "do no harm".This may also apply in instances where doctors have to withhold information to respect a patient`s right to confidentiality.Overall, honesty,openness and integrity are invaluable skills for a doctor to possess to help with their patient relationships,though there may be instances where they can be less than perfectly honest.

i feel like its so bad. only my 2nd essay though. any tips are appreciated

pretty good IMO but im no expert so lol

I feel like the bit in blue needs an example

and the last sentence needs to broken off from the last paragraph as it's the conclusion.
Reply 3
You must be honest and open and act with integrity.UK General Medical Council, Good Medical Practice 2006Explain what is meant by the above statement. Why might honesty, openness and integrity beimportant in a good doctor? Under what circumstances might a good doctor be justified in beingless than perfectly honest or open in the course of their professional practice?

this is the title. and yes it should be separate it is on the paper i wrote it on
Reply 4
You must be honest and open and act with integrity.UK General Medical Council, Good Medical Practice 2006Explain what is meant by the above statement. Why might honesty, openness and integrity beimportant in a good doctor? Under what circumstances might a good doctor be justified in beingless than perfectly honest or open in the course of their professional practice?

this is the title. and yes it should be separate it is on the paper i wrote it on

I don't think you answered this?? I'm not taking the BMAT, but surely they're looking for two sides of the argument - ie a discussion of ethical issues. Model scenarios where 'being less than perfectly honest' in the short run will be in the patient's interest. The way the question is worded suggests they are actively looking for this thinking.
Reply 5

The first part of the question is well answered in my opinion. I think that perhaps an example or expansion upon the points made relating to the second part of the question would make it a bit less nebulous.

Also, a bit more substance would be good for the last part of the question, although your example is nice. May want to talk about the need to respect patient confidentiality with respect to family member or equivalent as your example for not disclosing patient information.

Overall, I would say it is pretty good, although the marking is extremely subjective for the essay section.
Reply 6
Original post by HMarles
The first part of the question is well answered in my opinion. I think that perhaps an example or expansion upon the points made relating to the second part of the question would make it a bit less nebulous.

Also, a bit more substance would be good for the last part of the question, although your example is nice. May want to talk about the need to respect patient confidentiality with respect to family member or equivalent as your example for not disclosing patient information.

Overall, I would say it is pretty good, although the marking is extremely subjective for the essay section.

thank you thats what im worried about. i cant believe they allow something so subjectively marked in a scientific test!
Reply 7
thank you thats what im worried about. i cant believe they allow something so subjectively marked in a scientific test!

I believe the idea is to make sure you synthesise your own ideas by weighing up sides of an argument. After all, as a doctor you will have to make many decisions based upon evidence for or against a specific action.

I still agree however, it is not as representative as sections 1 and 2. But Oxford only value section 3 as 20% so I'm not tooo bothered :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending