The Student Room Group

a level and as level math by correspondance?

Hi all, i have noticed that 6 modules are required for the A level maths. However, 9 modules exist and i am wondering if i take all nine do i get an a-level AND an as-level?

modules are c1-c4, m1,m2,s1,s2,d1

This is via the nec (national extension college), edexcel.

Thanks............
if you're doing stats maths then you do the ones with s in front plus all cores. and if you do mechanics maths then the ones with m in front and all cores. I'm pretty sure thats it
Reply 2
Original post by hello654321
if you're doing stats maths then you do the ones with s in front plus all cores. and if you do mechanics maths then the ones with m in front and all cores. I'm pretty sure thats it

have you read my question? i want to know if i do all the modules am i awarded both an a-level AND an as-level.

thanks anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by zeshan_swuk
Hi all, i have noticed that 6 modules are required for the A level maths. However, 9 modules exist and i am wondering if i take all nine do i get an a-level AND an as-level?

Thanks............

No, you don't do 9 modules for an AS and A level in maths.

To gain an AS qualification you do C1, C2 and either one of S1/D1/M1

To gain a full A level, you do the above plus C3, C4 and one of either but not the same as one you did for your AS: S2/M2/D2/S1/M1/D1

E.g. Last year for my AS i did, C1, C2 and M1

This year i'm doing C3, C4 and S1

You only need to do 6 modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks............

No you wouldn't get an AS in further maths by taking those 9. However, if you self study Further Maths 1 together with an allowed combination of 8 of those units you would get a further maths AS on top of your A level.
Self study of further maths 1 just using the text book should not be too hard, it is of similar difficulty to C2, maybe slightly harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by gdunne42
No you wouldn't get an AS in further maths by taking those 9. However, if you self study Further Maths 1 together with an allowed combination of 8 of those units you would get a further maths AS on top of your A level.
Self study of further maths 1 just using the text book should not be too hard, it is of similar difficulty to C2, maybe slightly harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You maybe correct im not sure. i rang edexcel to find out they said

"
that you complete all nine modules and you will only get the A-Level in maths - but they will take the best grades from the optional ones and use that to process the award score.for the optional modules part

"

can you recommend a book? and also explain your reasoning at all?
(edited 7 years ago)

"
that you complete all nine modules and you will only get the A-Level in maths - but they will take the best grades from the optional ones and use that to process the award score.for the optional modules part

"

I am correct and Edexcel have confirmed what I said, that if you take those 9 you will only get an A level in maths.
The specification makes clear what combinations of units lead to qualifications, it's on the Edexcel web site, it would be good for you to look through it. There are many allowed combinations of 6 units for maths A level. They all include C1-4 plus two applications units. If you take more units than you need they will use the best combination to award your grade. An AS in further maths can be awarded if you complete FP1 plus any two other units not used in maths.
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2008.html
Have you checked with NEC that they will supply you with the study material for more than 6 units? I have known people study with them in the past and they have had to specify which units they wanted when they ordered and paid for the course.
A good book for FP1 would be:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519239/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1476871311&sr=8-3&keywords=Further+maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

"

"

bhfn is right
For AS I did C1,C2 and S1 for A2 I'm doing C3,C4 and D1
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by gdunne42
I am correct and Edexcel have confirmed what I said, that if you take those 9 you will only get an A level in maths.
The specification makes clear what combinations of units lead to qualifications, it's on the Edexcel web site, it would be good for you to look through it. There are many allowed combinations of 6 units for maths A level. They all include C1-4 plus two applications units. If you take more units than you need they will use the best combination to award your grade. An AS in further maths can be awarded if you complete FP1 plus any two other units not used in maths.
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2008.html
Have you checked with NEC that they will supply you with the study material for more than 6 units? I have known people study with them in the past and they have had to specify which units they wanted when they ordered and paid for the course.
A good book for FP1 would be:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519239/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1476871311&sr=8-3&keywords=Further+maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks so much for your detailed response i have noticed you are correct from looking at the spec. as you suggested. btw the nec wants an additional £70 (currently) to provide the rest of the units.
(edited 7 years ago)
thanks so much for your detailed response i have noticed you are correct from looking at the spec. as you suggested. btw the nec wants an additional £70 (currently) to provide the rest of the units.

Good luck with your study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
have you read my question? i want to know if i do all the modules am i awarded both an a-level AND an as-level.

thanks anyway.

whoops sorry I'm bad at reading

Quick Reply

Latest