The Student Room Group

Computer science students at a Russel group uni, please reply.

Anyone who got into a Russel group uni for Computer Science, but was accepted with lower grades than your offer please reply. Please tell me your A level results and subjects and your GCSE results.Tell me your offer and the university you applied to. I am thinking of applying.
There was TONS of RG unis in compsci clearing this year, I wouldn't worry about it

e.g Liverpool was AAB and they were asking for BBC for a whole day in clearing before upping it to BBB
Original post by kingLAWZA
There was TONS of RG unis in compsci clearing this year, I wouldn't worry about it

e.g Liverpool was AAB and they were asking for BBC for a whole day in clearing before upping it to BBB

Yeah I meant too Russel group unis like top 15 ish. Thanks.

I got BBB IN BIO, chemistry and maths and was rejected from Warwick and Southampton.
I got ABB and in Kings College now.
Original post by EXOMENDES 101
I got ABB and in Kings College now.

What was your offer and what subjects did you get these grades in?

Thanks!
Original post by Kira Yagami
What was your offer and what subjects did you get these grades in?

Thanks!

So my offer turned from conditional to unconditional on results day. And I studied IT, Media and Sociology. People were shocked hearing I did these subjects and wanted to go into CS. I know - it's not what you would expect. I'm starting to regret not doing Computer Science or Math at A levels.
Reply 6
I would also be interested in knowing, I would love to go to Kings, Queen Mary or City, I have a passion for computers but I dont think I could reach
AAB maybe ABB at most. The thing that worries me is the drop out rates, I saw at Kings it was 25%.
Original post by rjbull
I would also be interested in knowing, I would love to go to Kings, Queen Mary or City, I have a passion for computers but I dont think I could reach
AAB maybe ABB at most. The thing that worries me is the drop out rates, I saw at Kings it was 25%.

I didn't research any drop out rates when I applied. That just makes you more nervous and paranoid when applying. So I came out with ABB and they still let me in - that's probably cuz of my personal statement. It's not always about the grades - even with a Russel group uni. If all they cared was about my grades then I wouldn't have got it. Also my friend, Kings isn't amazing. For me, I wasn't satisfied with the way they taught especially as I am coming from a more creative background and their logic and foundations of computing topics were too much for me to handle. They say that they start from scratch to suit everyone but I didn't get that vibe. Therefore I withdrew from the uni a few days ago and I have found a Creative Computing course at QM next year. Or apprenticeships level 3-4 in digital media and IT... I have to obviously make my decision soon.

I withdrew because this course wasn't interesting me at all. It didn't have a creative flair and I just didn't revise over my topics when I came home every day or even on weekends. I tried and now I realise this was a mistake. It doesn't make me a loser - it just took me some time to see that this course wasn't for me.

Queen Mary - I didn't go to the offer holder day so won't know much about that. Create a thread or find one for CS at QM.

City - they have a 2 week boot camp for programming - if you hate these 2 weeks you know that this course isn't for your. Which was great! I just chose kings cuz it was highest in the league table and a Russel group uni (bad mistake).

Word of advice:
1) research all the modules of the course before you apply to each uni - see if they suit you.
2) I didn't bother looking at the student satisfaction rates but now I know why some people don't exactly like Kings (QM as well). We have a website for Kings students to voice their opinions and a couple of them complained about the content of the course and how it is taught.
3) Make sure this computer science course is something you want to do. I only enjoyed the programming practise and applications module cuz it was led by a wicked lecturer who was young and very wide awake - the slides were explained well. RESEARCH INTO OTHER COMPUTING COURSES.
4) obviously Some courses you like, you may not be able to do cuz they might be very far - are you willing to move out? If so, check out unis outside of London. I didn't move out so I went for Kings but I could have gone elsewhere (I had a personal matter so I didn't move out).
5) Talk to CS students (other than me), teachers at school about CS OR OTHER IT DEGREES, email the course leader for the courses you like, talk to friends and family for advice on uni life. Cuz REMEMBER university is not for everyone. And apprenticeships or degree apprenticeships can make you successful as well.

Really, I wish I could go back in time a year and rewind and make the right decision. I really wish someone had given me the same advice I am giving you 2 years ago. So good luck and I hope this helps! I would hate to see someone else get stuck in the same situation as me
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by EXOMENDES 101
I didn't research any drop out rates when I applied. That just makes you more nervous and paranoid when applying. So I came out with ABB and they still let me in - that's probably cuz of my personal statement. It's not always about the grades - even with a Russel group uni. If all they cared was about my grades then I wouldn't have got it. Also my friend, Kings isn't amazing. For me, I wasn't satisfied with the way they taught especially as I am coming from a more creative background and their logic and foundations of computing topics were too much for me to handle. They say that they start from scratch to suit everyone but I didn't get that vibe. Therefore I withdrew from the uni a few days ago and I have found a Creative Computing course at QM next year. Or apprenticeships level 3-4 in digital media and IT... I have to obviously make my decision soon.

I withdrew because this course wasn't interesting me at all. It didn't have a creative flair and I just didn't revise over my topics when I came home every day or even on weekends. I tried and now I realise this was a mistake. It doesn't make me a loser - it just took me some time to see that this course wasn't for me.

Queen Mary - I didn't go to the offer holder day so won't know much about that. Create a thread or find one for CS at QM.

City - they have a 2 week boot camp for programming - if you hate these 2 weeks you know that this course isn't for your. Which was great! I just chose kings cuz it was highest in the league table and a Russel group uni (bad mistake).

Word of advice:
1) research all the modules of the course before you apply to each uni - see if they suit you.
2) I didn't bother looking at the student satisfaction rates but now I know why some people don't exactly like Kings (QM as well). We have a website for Kings students to voice their opinions and a couple of them complained about the content of the course and how it is taught.
3) Make sure this computer science course is something you want to do. I only enjoyed the programming practise and applications module cuz it was led by a wicked lecturer who was young and very wide awake - the slides were explained well. RESEARCH INTO OTHER COMPUTING COURSES.
4) obviously Some courses you like, you may not be able to do cuz they might be very far - are you willing to move out? If so, check out unis outside of London. I didn't move out so I went for Kings but I could have gone elsewhere (I had a personal matter so I didn't move out).
5) Talk to CS students (other than me), teachers at school about CS OR OTHER IT DEGREES, email the course leader for the courses you like, talk to friends and family for advice on uni life. Cuz REMEMBER university is not for everyone. And apprenticeships or degree apprenticeships can make you successful as well.

Really, I wish I could go back in time a year and rewind and make the right decision. I really wish someone had given me the same advice I am giving you 2 years ago. So good luck and I hope this helps! I would hate to see someone else get stuck in the same situation as me

Thank you so much for the advice I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out, I am taking Maths, History and Geography at the moment, really struggling with maths though... there were no computer science or IT A levels at my school so I was kind of stuck when choosing these.

Would I be at a huge disadvantage at most courses if I was a begginer. I have my own independant game development team I am running but am not a programmer, though it is something I aspire to be, I know a lot about the industry and computers in general just not a programmer.

Thanks, also what was special about your personal statement if you dont mind me asking! :smile:
Original post by rjbull
Thank you so much for the advice I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out, I am taking Maths, History and Geography at the moment, really struggling with maths though... there were no computer science or IT A levels at my school so I was kind of stuck when choosing these.

Would I be at a huge disadvantage at most courses if I was a begginer. I have my own independant game development team I am running but am not a programmer, though it is something I aspire to be, I know a lot about the industry and computers in general just not a programmer.

Thanks, also what was special about your personal statement if you dont mind me asking! :smile:

So that happened to me - IT was the only A level option but it is crap cuz it is nothing like Computer Science. You don't enjoy Math? If you have the skills in Math then I think you will be fine for CS --> is it that you have the knowledge but don't know how to apply it? I had no knowledge and I didn't have any passion for the math side of CS. Well you must be clever to have even done Math at A level - kids at my school who had done A level Math was A-A* students from GCSE.

I was a beginner and I hated it cuz I didn't know much about programming or the math side of CS. But my opinion is evidently going to be very different to others who reply on here. Define 'beginner' - you are passionate about doing this course but you don't really have any experience? I didn't have experience but I wasn't passionate so that didn't help. You have the rest of the academic year to research, build on this passion, do online programming courses, meet up with CS students if you can, in order to know what you're getting yourself into. That's my best advice to you. Is your school making you do UCAS applications now? Take your time - you have until January remember.

Persona statement - to be honest, I ranted on about how I would love to change the world with technology and use it for good e.g. new medical equipment. I also merged this technology passion with my digital media/filmmaking passion -> this probably caught their eye as well, because I want to be creative with the boring old math concepts. Also use examples from previous experience which can persuade the uni that you have the skills and abilities to take on CS. I wrote about my IT A level coursework as that was the only computer experience I had. I also wrote about my dedication to my work however I commit to other things like my hobbies and other interests e.g. I volunteered for charity, for my local library, took filmmaking workshops etc. To show that I want to make a name for myself - remember it's not just about the grades and how clever you are. SELL YOURSELF AND STAND OUT :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending