The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Hey is anyone sitting their ukcat around the 13 August?

Posted from TSR Mobile
And anyone who sat ukcat last year and got good results would 6-7 weeks of solid ukcat practice be enough to get a high score

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sitting mine on August 13th will be starting to revise this week
Original post by medicapplicant
And anyone who sat ukcat last year and got good results would 6-7 weeks of solid ukcat practice be enough to get a high score

Posted from TSR Mobile

The issue with ukcat is that it's hard to tell. Some people do loads and don't do well. And some people do barely any prep and still do well. It's just down to each person and what happens on the day. That may be too much time. You don't want to run out of resources.
Original post by mliela
The issue with ukcat is that it's hard to tell. Some people do loads and don't do well. And some people do barely any prep and still do well. It's just down to each person and what happens on the day. That may be too much time. You don't want to run out of resources.

so maybe 3-4 weeks of solid practice then ? and does anyone know any online UKCAT resources apart from medify?
thanks
Original post by medicapplicant
so maybe 3-4 weeks of solid practice then ? and does anyone know any online UKCAT resources apart from medify?
thanks

Yeah that should be enough. But like I said nothing guarantees the top scores. Trust me. Medify is the best. And it's super affordable. The ukcat website has a few practice tests to get you started.
Im still so busy with college and want to start my revision but only manage about 2 hours a week atm while college is going on! I was planning not to use the practice tests until i have done a fair amount of practice, what your thoughts on all this? any help would be great :smile:
Does anyone know whether you can type the +/- symbols on the actual UKCAT calculator and not have to use the mouse for those? The calculator given on the website doesn't allow you to do this & you can't do a backspace to delete a misstyped number :frown:
Original post by tomorrowsdoctor
Does anyone know whether you can type the +/- symbols on the actual UKCAT calculator and not have to use the mouse for those? The calculator given on the website doesn't allow you to do this & you can't do a backspace to delete a misstyped number :frown:

I could when I did it, but it seemed to vary between different centres.
Original post by usycool1
I could when I did it, but it seemed to vary between different centres.

Ah ok, could you use the backspace key as well in case you typed a wrong number in?
Original post by tomorrowsdoctor
Ah ok, could you use the backspace key as well in case you typed a wrong number in?

I think so :smile:
Original post by usycool1
I think so :smile:

Ok thanks for letting me know :smile: I hope it's the same for me because I waste so much time miss-typing numbers in and then having to do the whole calculation again :s
hey guys, hope the ukcat prep is going well.

i wanted to ask something regarding verbal reasoning. as i understand, this section now includes both the True/False/Can't Tell questions, and the free statement questions. does anyone have an idea of their frequency and whether its random how many of each you get?

i am currently finding i do fine with the T/F/CT types, but generally am taking considerably longer on the free statements. do you have any tips? it feels whilst some times on topics I am farmiliar with, it is possible to skim through the possible statements and prioritising checking the more likely ones, but that is not possible on a lot of topics which I am not knowledgeable about. it then depends on luck, because if the correct answer is the last statement i check it takes a lot of time.

do you guys have any advice? tyvm in advance.
Hi

I've found with the more detailed statements to look for the key words so like between 1-3 words. That should help with time and accuracy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MedicineMaybe
Hi
How is everyone revising already, I have only done about 2 horus this week, i have had homework, open days and personal statements to do! I'm so busy its crazy, should I ditch all this and start UKCAT now like everyone else seems to be?!

Posted from TSR Mobile[I've found with the more detailed statements to look for the key words so like between 1-3 words. That should help with time and accuracy

How is everyone revising already, I have only done about 2 horus this week, i have had homework, open days and personal statements to do! I'm so busy its crazy, should I ditch all this and start UKCAT now like everyone else seems to be?!QUOTE]
Original post by clairebear101
Hi

How is everyone revising already, I have only done about 2 horus this week, i have had homework, open days and personal statements to do! I'm so busy its crazy, should I ditch all this and start UKCAT now like everyone else seems to be?!

When is your test? You only need to start a few weeks before your test. For now focus on school and having a bit of a summer holiday (when it comes around).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MikyO
Hi Alisa, I took the UKCAT last year and scored in the top 10%, I would recommend starting with the official website, there practice questions and tests a that'll help you prepare. Once you are comfortable then Purchase a book. Goodluck :smile:

hey ,
did u do a course??
ez
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone else find Abstract Reasoning hard to get a grasp of, I always find it hard to decipher the patterns and hence end up guessing the questions?
Reply 158
I really recommend doing it early, because if you wait til September (like I did.....) it means you'll spend more time than you need to preparing and it kinda wastes the summer
just wondering the number of people going and if it's worth it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending