The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Obsidian
I'm still around - I managed to pick up a second hand copy of 'King Lear' (a good edition too :biggrin:) so that will be part of my half-term reading.
Also re-reading some of F. Scott Fitzgerald's short stories, 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and six other stories', Hardy's 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles', James Joyce's 'Dubliners'. At least, that is the plan :wink:

I have started to tentatively dip into Mary Wollstonecrafts 'The Rights of Woman'.

Anyone else got half-term 'holiday' (I use the term very loosely) planned?

I envy you, I just can't seem to get a long with pre-C20 literature. I can't enjoy it and I kind of hate myself for it. Maybe I'm a hopeless modernist, that's where my enjoyment of literature begins. With Joyce and Woolf but anything before that and I'm at a loss.

I don't have a holiday as I work but I am in the exciting stage where I've finished a book and I don't have another one immediately waiting to be read so when I get home tomorrow I can peruse my shelves and read something exciting. Maybe Norman Mailer or Kurt Vonnegut or perhaps I could give Ulysses yet another go.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Norfolkadam
I envy you, I just can't seem to get a long with pre-C20 literature. I can't enjoy it and I kind of hate myself for it. Maybe I'm a hopeless modernist, that's where my enjoyment of literature begins. With Joyce and Woolf but anything before that and I'm at a loss.

I don't have a holiday as I work but I am in the exciting stage where I've finished a book and I don't have another one immediately waiting to be read so when I get home tomorrow I can peruse my shelves and read something exciting. Maybe Norman Mailer or Kurt Vonnegut or perhaps I could give Ulysses yet another go.

Ever read Richard Yates' 'Revolutionary Road'? I enjoyed it, though it is pretty bleak. It was published in 1960.
Perhaps you just haven't found the books that suit you yet. Do you feel the same way about poetry?
Ever read Richard Yates' 'Revolutionary Road'? I enjoyed it, though it is pretty bleak. It was published in 1960.
Perhaps you just haven't found the books that suit you yet. Do you feel the same way about poetry?

I've seen the movie :colondollar: I think I'd enjoy Richard Yates books but seeing as how there's almost an inifinite amount of stuff to read in a very finite life I'm not going to read the book of something I've already seen the film of.

I feel the same way about most stuff to be honest with the exception of architecture. I prefer modern (and modernist) fiction, poetry, art, design, history. I'm not totally ignorant of older stuff, I love Brughel paintings and Byron and classical music but ... I don't know, I just don't enjoy Victorian literature or classical portraits.

Saying that if you go far enough back I start getting interested again with the Greeks and Romans.
Reply 6623

Anyone else got half-term 'holiday' (I use the term very loosely) planned?

My half-term was this week, and I just finished reading Lord of the Flies by William Golding. It was a good read, I especially liked the way it was written. I've just started reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I'm only a few chapters in but I'm starting to love it already. I think the idea behind the story was an excellent one. I'm not really a big fan of romance, but I really feel for Clare and Henry. Not sure if anyone's read it (tbh it's quite a popular book) but I'd recommend it to everyone.

Also borrowed One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey from my library; was planning to do a lot of reading this week, but that idea was interrupted by my inability to be able to get out of bed these past few days. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Norfolkadam
I've seen the movie :colondollar: I think I'd enjoy Richard Yates books but seeing as how there's almost an inifinite amount of stuff to read in a very finite life I'm not going to read the book of something I've already seen the film of.

I feel the same way about most stuff to be honest with the exception of architecture. I prefer modern (and modernist) fiction, poetry, art, design, history. I'm not totally ignorant of older stuff, I love Brughel paintings and Byron and classical music but ... I don't know, I just don't enjoy Victorian literature or classical portraits.

Saying that if you go far enough back I start getting interested again with the Greeks and Romans.

Ah, fair enough :smile:
Original post by Angury
My half-term was this week, and I just finished reading Lord of the Flies by William Golding. It was a good read, I especially liked the way it was written. I've just started reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I'm only a few chapters in but I'm starting to love it already. I think the idea behind the story was an excellent one. I'm not really a big fan of romance, but I really feel for Clare and Henry. Not sure if anyone's read it (tbh it's quite a popular book) but I'd recommend it to everyone.

Also borrowed One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey from my library; was planning to do a lot of reading this week, but that idea was interrupted by my inability to be able to get out of bed these past few days. :tongue:

I read 'Lord of the Flies' about a year ago. I really liked the ending *closes mouth before anything more on the subject slips out*.
Book + Bed = Match made in Heaven
Reply 6626
I read 'Lord of the Flies' about a year ago. I really liked the ending *closes mouth before anything more on the subject slips out*.
Book + Bed = Match made in Heaven

No no, please continue with what you were going to say about Lord of the Flies. :tongue:
I agree with your equation, it's where I like reading best (and also sitting in Starbucks by myself at half 7 in the morning along with a nice cuppa tea :biggrin:).
Original post by Angury
No no, please continue with what you were going to say about Lord of the Flies. :tongue:
I agree with your equation, it's where I like reading best (and also sitting in Starbucks by myself at half 7 in the morning along with a nice cuppa tea :biggrin:).

Spoiler

Reply 6628

Spoiler

Spoiler

A warm bed, a hot cup of tea and a good book is all I need to make my night. :biggrin:
Reply 6629
Original post by Angury

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Currently reading Light in August by William Faulkner for my English course. Some interesting story ideas and certain sections can be really interesting, but the intermediary bits are fairly boring :/

Reading Ellison's Invisible Man afterwards though, and that looks pretty nifty.
Original post by Aleandcynicism
Currently reading Light in August by William Faulkner for my English course. Some interesting story ideas and certain sections can be really interesting, but the intermediary bits are fairly boring :/

We've had a look at one of his short stories, 'A Rose for Emily'. It made me shiver!
Reply 6632
Original post by Demon_AS

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Finished Tinker Tailor a while ago now, so have started The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. If you didn't already know, it's written by the French journalist Jean-Dominque Bauby, who got Locked-Down Syndrome, meaning his whole body was functionless bar his left-eyelid. After a while, an editor came along and holds up a card with all the letters in the alphabet in order of usage in the French tongue, and he gives one blink for "yes" and two for a "no". He continued like this until he finished this little memoir which I'm reading now. So far, really good :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6634
Original post by Angury

Spoiler

Spoiler

About half-way through King Lear and re-read Tess over the half term :biggrin:
Loved 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles' even more the second time around!
Oh. My. God. Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man is awesome. About two thirds of the way through it now and I love it. Great story and there's so much going on without the story becoming cluttered or unfocused. It may well become one of my favourite books.
Finished Lear last Saturday - my first Shakespeare not read in school :smile: Now debating what to read next :beard:
Just finished Jeanette Winterson's autobiography- Why Be Happy When You Can Be Normal? I haven't read anything of hers in a while and I'd forgotten how awesome she is. I was chuckling away to myself on the train looking like a right nutcase.
Started reading Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko today. Bit early to judge the book, but I like what I've read so far.

Anyone have any opinions on The Book Thief by Markus Zusak? My Mum gave me her copy when I went home recently and she loved it. It looks really interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending