The Student Room Group

Oxbridge philosophy help

Somebody i know who wants to apply to Oxbridge and take Philosophy/Theology would like to know whether she needs to drop art if she is serious about obtaining a place at either university.

she takes english lit
philosophy and ethics
art
biology

She has spoken to both universities but they have been pretty vague in their answers. Realistically, if she drops biology at the end of this year and carries on with art will she hinder herself in applying to the university?
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by mg2012
Somebody i know who wants to apply to Oxbridge and take Philosophy/Theology would like to know whether she needs to drop art if she is serious about obtaining a place at either university.

she takes english lit
philosophy and ethics
art
biology

She has spoken to both universities but they have been pretty vague in their answers. Realistically, if she drops biology at the end of this year and carries on with art will she hinder herself in applying to the university?
Thanks

I would encourage your friend to study what she enjoys studying. The tutors probably won't mind her taking Art, especially since her other subjects are fairly rigorous. However, I would recommend the study of maths or something quantitative, as philosophers study logic in their first year of the course. Also being exposed to the kind of precise and logical reasoning that one engages in when studying maths can only be good.
Reply 2
"Dropping" suggests that she's in year 12 and most of the way through the year, so I assume that picking up maths really isn't viable (not that it's a big deal).

If it's between doing art and not doing art, then do it if she enjoys it and can make the standard offer (somewhere around AAA for both?). Art, I gather, is very time consuming and it should be fine for her to do as long as she can cope with the workload.
Reply 3
Original post by mg2012

she takes english lit
philosophy and ethics
art
biology

Thanks

Hmm I don't see why it should hold her back from applying. In my philosophy interview, they asked questions about the value of an original work of art as opposed to a copy. I think she should stick with it if she enjoys it.

Someone I know is studying Theology at Oxford. He had already completed his A-Levels when he decided to apply with grades A*AA, the A* in art.

He even sent in a painting because he didn't have any marked written work to send in!

In conclusion, she'll be fine, just get the grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending