The Student Room Group

AS students: how far are you in your revision?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by -strawberry-
I knowwww but we haven't even finished learning everything yet :frown: AND on top of all the revision and past papers I still have homework to do! ... :'(

ahhh! i completely understand exactly what your going through!! except i dont think i got much hmwk left to do.
as if your not going to be revising for 3 days next week! you need to get revising quite fast!! we dont have much time left, and its scary!! :frown: :frown:
Today is my first day, so far have done about 3 hours of English Lit, just doing powerpoints on key themes, symbols + aspects of narrative for a couple poems and books.

I plan on this first week finishing all notes for all my subjects and just competing the mountain of homework which was set for Easter. Then next week start nailing exam questions and past papers for everything. It's going to be a long 2 weeks aha.
Original post by ummm
Past papers usually don't take the full amount of time though when you do them at home because you're not so worried about checking it thoroughly. :smile:

Hopefully haha, I'll see how I get on :tongue:
On the plus side, I just got 92% on a C1 paper...boom :smile: pretty happy haha :biggrin:

Original post by omgg
ahhh! i completely understand exactly what your going through!! except i dont think i got much hmwk left to do.
as if your not going to be revising for 3 days next week! you need to get revising quite fast!! we dont have much time left, and its scary!! :frown: :frown:

Yeah I know, I think I'm designating tomorrow, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday to just ploughing through all my work :lol: I made a list of every past paper I've been given and every bit of homework and it's actually ridiculous. :frown:
Reply 103
Hopefully haha, I'll see how I get on :tongue:
On the plus side, I just got 92% on a C1 paper...boom :smile: pretty happy haha :biggrin:

Yeah I know, I think I'm designating tomorrow, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday to just ploughing through all my work :lol: I made a list of every past paper I've been given and every bit of homework and it's actually ridiculous. :frown:

soo much to do and so little time...
just hope that you stick to your plan! i made a revision timetable and im soo behind on it :frown: what subjects do you do?
Statistics is possibly the most boring thing I have ever practiced. I literally want to kill myself whilst doing it. Urghh...

[video="youtube;wz91vQbjmBI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz91vQbjmBI[/video]

On the other hand, I love Meow Mix.
Its here and there to be honest. Do sit down for a good hour get the homework done first.. then try to revise but talk my self out of it, yh I know..poor.
But I think after the first modules in January, most of us are lagging. Well I am atleast.:redface:
Original post by omgg
soo much to do and so little time...
just hope that you stick to your plan! i made a revision timetable and im soo behind on it :frown: what subjects do you do?

Haha yeah I know :P biology, chemistry, physics, maths and critical thinking :smile: you?
Reply 107
Haha yeah I know :P biology, chemistry, physics, maths and critical thinking :smile: you?

woah! you need to work hard for those, thier like the hardest A Levels (apart from critical thinking lol).

I do maths, accounting and sociology... regret not choosing 4.

congrats on your C1 results!
Original post by omgg
woah! you need to work hard for those, thier like the hardest A Levels (apart from critical thinking lol).

I do maths, accounting and sociology... regret not choosing 4.

congrats on your C1 results!

lol yeah I know :/ oh okay, why didn't you take 4?
And it wasn't a real exam, just a past paper :tongue: I've never got above a B though so I was really happy :smile:
Reply 109
lol yeah I know :/ oh okay, why didn't you take 4?
And it wasn't a real exam, just a past paper :tongue: I've never got above a B though so I was really happy :smile:

the teacher convinced most of us that its better to do 3 A Levels and get really good grades in them, than do 4 A Levels and get average grades on them...

oh lmao, just hope you do that well in the real exam :smile: did you do C1 in jan?
Original post by omgg
the teacher convinced most of us that its better to do 3 A Levels and get really good grades in them, than do 4 A Levels and get average grades on them...

oh lmao, just hope you do that well in the real exam :smile: did you do C1 in jan?

Oh right, well it makes sense I suppose.
No, I wasn't allowed to take any exams in Jan :/ did you?
Reply 111
Oh right, well it makes sense I suppose.
No, I wasn't allowed to take any exams in Jan :/ did you?

so your doing the whole of your AS in may? :/ how much exams you got?

how come you wernt allowed? and yeah I did C1 in jan
Not very far:

C3: Is going ok
C4: Done evrything up to differentiation
AS Chem mod 2: Enthalpy is going so well! Organic on the other hand...
AS Physics Mod 2: Mechanics be the SHIZ. Need to revise waves ALOT
Music: Holy crap i'm so dead for this exam
S1: :biggrin:
D1: Meeh.
D2: What's that again?
Original post by omgg
so your doing the whole of your AS in may? :/ how much exams you got?

how come you wernt allowed? and yeah I did C1 in jan

How did you do? And cos my schools silly haha :tongue: I have 11 exams :/
Reply 114
How did you do? And cos my schools silly haha :tongue: I have 11 exams :/

didnt do too good, got 64%, it was a C. im retaking tho

OMG! thats a lot of exams! your schools stupid, no offence ;D
Reply 115
Original post by Unsworth
Today is my first day, so far have done about 3 hours of English Lit, just doing powerpoints on key themes, symbols + aspects of narrative for a couple poems and books.

I plan on this first week finishing all notes for all my subjects and just competing the mountain of homework which was set for Easter. Then next week start nailing exam questions and past papers for everything. It's going to be a long 2 weeks aha.

I'm trying to start Literature right now but I'm not sure my revision method is effective for the poetry and prose. How are you revising for it?

As for everything else, I've been making flashcards for sociology and notes for it on my computer. Business notes are already prepared. So it's a matter of reading it over and over again. Lastly, Media, I haven't started that. So maybe that's something I need to get on with.
Original post by Markz123
I'm trying to start Literature right now but I'm not sure my revision method is effective for the poetry and prose. How are you revising for it?

As for everything else, I've been making flashcards for sociology and notes for it on my computer. Business notes are already prepared. So it's a matter of reading it over and over again. Lastly, Media, I haven't started that. So maybe that's something I need to get on with.

Well I'm making 11-13 slide powerpoints on both the 2 books (Great Gatsby + Kite Runner) and 2 of the poems (Ancient Mariner + Fra Lippo Lippi) having a slide going in depth on each key theme and the same for symbols. But as I'm going to do Gatsby for section A I will include more stuff on narrative voice, setting etc for that powerpoint. Then all the important stuff is down on each powerpoint and can simply read through that to help memorise them all for the exam.

English Lit is the subject I kind of will do least revision for as I can't really do essay questions and mark them myself, like I could for say Biology. Personally I don't find flashcards any help really, making notes which I then use to do some exam questions for seems the most effective way of revising for myself.
Original post by Unsworth
Well I'm making 11-13 slide powerpoints on both the 2 books (Great Gatsby + Kite Runner) and 2 of the poems (Ancient Mariner + Fra Lippo Lippi) having a slide going in depth on each key theme and the same for symbols.
But as I'm going to do Gatsby for section A I will include more stuff on narrative voice, setting etc for that powerpoint. Then all the important stuff is down on each powerpoint and can simply read through that to help memorise them all for the exam.

I'm an A2 student, and i've got to say, its great you've started your revision early! I remember cramming a week before the exam :biggrin: trying to get all my notes together .. still got a B though :biggrin:.

I would advise you to pay close attention to the mark scheme when you're revising. You can satisfy A01 by writing as many essays as possible :tongue: hand them into your teacher :biggrin:
If you've got two english teachers (i do), try to give them an equal number of essays lol. One of my teachers had a go at me for never handing him essays :biggrin: suprising to say the least!

A02 is concerned with language analysis. I'm notttttt particularly sure about going into detail on each key theme. To be completely honest with you, I don't think you need to do that at all :confused: symbols are fine...
If you're with AQA, spec B, then you'll find that Section A little a) questions are usually worded as, "How does [author name] tell the story in chapter x / poem x". So talking about 1 underlying key theme, and explaining how thats used to tell the story, is relevant - talking about more than 1 verges on irrelevant/repetition. Themes aren't the only means of telling a story.
So.. obviously revise in a way that suits you!, but maybe look at each chapter in turn and devise a table consisting of each aspect of narrative, and write how they're used to tell the story + key quotes that include a literary technique.. like syntax, juxtaposition, pathetic falacy, ellipsis - anything :wink:

For the poems maybe look at their structure, rhyming pattern, lack of female voice (in Ulysses)...

Good luck! :smile: Revising early can only be a good thing! :biggrin:
Has anyone started past-papers yet? If so, what kind of grades have you been getting?

I've done a few and haven't been doing too well, kinda losing morale haha.
"I'll start tomorrow"

I've been saying that for the last 2 weeks lol. If I know myself, I will continue saying that until 5 days before my first exam, then I'll have a 3 hour panic attack, and then I will start revision :rolleyes:

Also, is anyone sitting any additional GCSE papers? I've been forced into doing Welsh and Music. I don't want to work for either, but I don't want to get a bad mark. I don't want to waste valuable amounts of bother that I need for Biology on the revision for them either :/

Quick Reply

Latest