The Student Room Group

Do they make mocks harder than thee real GCSE exams?

Basically so far this week and for the whole of next week were doing mocks, and I feel like they're harder than the real thing. For example today in Maths we did a Non-Calc paper I think it was a Specimen Paper by Edexcel whatever that means, and I had been revising for it and doing past papers online prior to the exam and it looked much more different than what was online and the questions felt harder, and there was one that was misworded I think. SO far I've found English Lang, Biology, RE easy-ish but skeptical about Maths.
Original post by Popsiclez
Basically so far this week and for the whole of next week were doing mocks, and I feel like they're harder than the real thing. For example today in Maths we did a Non-Calc paper I think it was a Specimen Paper by Edexcel whatever that means, and I had been revising for it and doing past papers online prior to the exam and it looked much more different than what was online and the questions felt harder, and there was one that was misworded I think. SO far I've found English Lang, Biology, RE easy-ish but skeptical about Maths.

Generally speaking, our school just uses the summer exams this year as our mock exams. They note down our raw marks and convert to UMS; your grade shouldn't really vary much. If the exam was difficult, the boundaries will be lower
Reply 2
Specimen are usually quite a lot harder than the actual paper. This has been my experience in Physics and Maths at least, usually because they focus on showing off new types of questions being used or new parts of the syllabus so that teachers and students can get used to them.
Reply 3

I thought the adzaklly the same thing all the revision I did was nothing compare to the paper
Reply 4

It would be very unusual to use an old specimen paper from Edexcel when there are so many real past papers, shadow papers (past papers but with modified questions) and secure official mock papers available plus tools teachers can use to edit papers or compile their own paper from past questions if they want to. How difficult they are is really down to the choice your teachers have made. I know in some local grammar schools they set exceptionally hard mocks because they don't want students to become complacent. In other schools they are more keen to motivate students by ensuring the papers are accessible enough for people to feel optimistic about the real exams. Ask your teacher how they think the papers you have done compare with real exams.

Quick Reply

Latest