The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1740
Hey does anyone know if QOF is pronounced as 'cough' or Q.O.F ? Thanks x
Original post by shakey1
Hey does anyone know if QOF is pronounced as 'cough' or Q.O.F ? Thanks x

"kwof."
the quuestion says it all its becasue the nhs reforms in the white paper states that they will abolish these in order to create a commision board
no one wanna help :frown:
Reply 1744
Hey, I've got a medicine interview tomorrow morning and I still don't get the NHS reforms.
Here are a few things I need cleared up:

What is it and what are the pros and cons? And then anything else about it that I should know which I can talk about in an interview if the question arises.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1745
Original post by Tahooper
Well basically ol' Davy Cameron wants to outsource the NHS to private enterprises.

Whether that's a pro or a con depends on who you are.

That is a particular interpretation of one part of the bill, hardly a balanced representation of the whole thing 'in a nutshell' as the OP requested!

The bill is very complex and its has been claimed that only two people really understand it (one is Andrews Lansley and the other is mad). The general jist, as far as I can tell is:

- Abolish Primary Care Trusts, Strategic Health Authorities and many existing quangos.

- Replace these with local commissioning bodies, managed by GPs, with a total budget of about £80bn, and some national (England) level organisations.

- All hospitals will become Foundation Trusts (compared to about 50% at the moment) with the freedom to derive up to 49% of their income from private work, providing this is not to the detriment of their NHS patients.

- Foundation Trusts as well as private providers will be able to compete for business from commissioning bodies, but it appears that they will not be able to compete on price (i.e. there will be a fixed tariff), only on quality.

How these changes are interpreted is a much more complex question. I'm going to court unpopularity and suggest you will not get a particularly well informed debate either on here or in society in general.
Original post by Waqar.
Hey, I've got a medicine interview tomorrow morning and I still don't get the NHS reforms.
Here are a few things I need cleared up:

What is it and what are the pros and cons? And then anything else about it that I should know which I can talk about in an interview if the question arises.

Thanks in advance :smile:

You are absolutely lazy. Why should we give you an unfair advantage if you don't even bother to use a search engine/ newspaper? Most of us choose to keep up to date with the current NHS reforms because they will impact our future; the roles of GPs are changing etc.

It's quite hilarious how you know nothing about the "pros and cons" ( but I think the work you're looking for is "risks", to even have a justified opinion on the reforms.
Your lack of knowledge will shine through at an interview and you will only make a fool out of yourself.
Good luck :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Healthcare is a universal right and therefore should be universally provided, a nation that cant see that isnt much of a nation at all!

I have no doubt lansely will provide us with free healthcare, but how much care? Look at the croydon list, a set of procedures that cannot be funded for some because they are too expensive! Soon this will become common practice, a crippled nhs will provide some service witht he private companies providing the rest.

We will then have a two tier system, one for the poor, one for the whealthy!

We must fight this!

Any doctor or medical student, or even someone applying must be against this, or they are cowards! Willing to bend to those seeking profit over compassion.

A Governemt plan is more effecient than any private plan on the planet! Because a private plan must have a profit, futhermore that profit must grow year on year or the shareholders will rebel, and god forbid we save a few lives at the expense of the share holders!

There is no room for profit in healing, no room for a market place, the NHS must seek out to rediscover its compassion not enter into greed!
(edited 12 years ago)
The plans are in essence to decentralise control away from the layers of bureaucracy to the doctors on the ground, to stimulate competition between hospitals with in the NHS and to give patients more choice. Although I have no idea on the technicalities.

The reforms are probably a good idea, if done well. However the medical establishment, namely the monopolistic unions like the BMA, have realised these reforms are going to put extra pressure on doctors so they are trying to block the reforms by shouting at ministers and saying everything will be privatised. Which the government has responded with, quite boldy and it is pretty funny, by flat out ignoring them which might turn out to be a bad idea. Because some people are stupid enough to think organizations like the BMA care about the public interest.
(edited 12 years ago)
A Governemt plan is more effecient than any private plan on the planet!

Brilliant. You are a funny man.
Reply 1750
Original post by Classical Liberal
The plans are in essence to decentralise control away from the layers of bureaucracy to the doctors on the ground, to stimulate competition between hospitals with in the NHS and to give patients more choice. Although I have no idea on the technicalities.

The reforms are probably a good idea, if done well. However the medical establishment, namely the monopolistic unions like the BMA, have realised these reforms are going to put extra pressure on doctors so they are trying to block the reforms by shouting at ministers and saying everything will be privatised. Which the government has responded with, quite boldy and it is pretty funny, by flat out ignoring them which might turn out to be a bad idea. Because some people are stupid enough to think organizations like the BMA care about the public interest.

To be fair, if you read the official BMA statement:

http://www.bma.org.uk/images/nhsreformbriefingbmaopposesbilldec2011_tcm41-210946.pdf

that is not what they are saying. They are opposing the bill mainly because of the way it is being implemented rather than because of any objection in principle. In particular, they are saying that they are not getting enough local power.
Reply 1751
Original post by Julian_valensi
Healthcare is a universal right and therefore should be universally provided, a nation that cant see that isnt much of a nation at all!

I have no doubt lansely will provide us with free healthcare, but how much care? Look at the croydon list, a set of procedures that cannot be funded for some because they are too expensive! Soon this will become common practice, a crippled nhs will provide some service witht he private companies providing the rest.

We will then have a two tier system, one for the poor, one for the whealthy!

You do not need to use bold, it does't strengthen your argument any more than shouting does.

What you are describing is, I agree, not what we should aim for. But this bill will not lead to that, you either do not understand it or are willfully misrepresenting it.

There are certainly risks associated with it, and it's good to debate them. But they are not the ones you describe.

A Governemt plan is more effecient than any private plan on the planet! Because a private plan must have a profit, futhermore that profit must grow year on year or the shareholders will rebel, and god forbid we save a few lives at the expense of the share holders!

There is no intrinsic reason why either must be better, only communists or anarcho-capitalists believe so.

There is no room for profit in healing, no room for a market place, the NHS must seek out to rediscover its compassion not enter into greed!

Sound good in principle, until you start to think about it a bit. Do you object to all private involvement in healthcare? Do you think the NHS should develop and manufacture it's own drugs, write all its own computer software, make its own CT scanners, drill and refine its own oil for the ambulances, chop down trees and pulp its own paper for the photocopier?

As I'm guessing the answer would be 'no' then you have to accept that there is some place for profit making companies in healthcare. (Your GP's surgery is a private company, by the way). The debate is about how much, and where.
Original post by Waqar.
Can someone summarise the NHS refoms in a nutshell?

:facepalm2:

That is literally how I would.
Oh dear, i've been negged for being honest..! :rolleyes: :cool:
Reply 1754
Original post by Simple Symphony
You are absolutely lazy. Why should we give you an unfair advantage if you don't even bother to use a search engine/ newspaper? Most of us choose to keep up to date with the current NHS reforms because they will impact our future; the roles of GPs are changing etc.

It's quite hilarious how you know nothing about the "pros and cons" ( but I think the work you're looking for is "risks", to even have a justified opinion on the reforms.
Your lack of knowledge will shine through at an interview and you will only make a fool out of yourself.
Good luck :rolleyes:

How is it like giving me an unfair advantage when your posting it online for the world to read? I did google it btw but I just wanted a simple condensed version of it. Thanks for your support, you'll be happy to know my interview went great :wink: Good luck everyone!
Reply 1755
i just want to thank EVERYBODY ON HERE! thats replied to my posts, put up with my stupidity and helped me understand bits and bobs!...

im SO HAPPY at the moment, i got my offer from imperial a few days ago and seriously OWE IT TO YOU LOT!...

SO THANK YOU SO MUCH!...AND NEXT YEAR IM DEFO GONNA BE ON THIS FORUM REPAYING THE GRATITUDE!
Original post by Waqar.
How is it like giving me an unfair advantage when your posting it online for the world to read? I did google it btw but I just wanted a simple condensed version of it. Thanks for your support, you'll be happy to know my interview went great :wink: Good luck everyone!

No,you specifically asked us to do your homework for you; you wanted our opinions and the risks associated with the health and social care bill just so you could reiterate OUR views during YOUR interview :smile:
Glad to help :cool:!
Original post by Mbob
To be fair, if you read the official BMA statement:

http://www.bma.org.uk/images/nhsreformbriefingbmaopposesbilldec2011_tcm41-210946.pdf

that is not what they are saying. They are opposing the bill mainly because of the way it is being implemented rather than because of any objection in principle. In particular, they are saying that they are not getting enough local power.

It doesn't matter what they send out in their 'official' letter. My entire point is that you should not trust what the BMA says. Because they are not organised for the public interest. They are an organisation that should serve its members.

What the do very well is pretend to operate in the public interest, and they will have some front men who genuinely believe they are serving the public interest, but in practice they are out for themselves.
Reply 1758
My advice to everyone is to learn the art of blagging in a passionate and cheerful way! Also, make sure you smile and stay relaxed during your interviews. It worked for me.
Original post by H.R
My advice to everyone is to learn the art of blagging in a passionate and cheerful way! Also, make sure you smile and stay relaxed during your interviews. It worked for me.

Don't know why people negged this. This is very good advice. Blag, smile and relax and you'll get an offer.

Latest

Trending

Trending