The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B 12th January 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anna258
hmm well there's not that much time now to go overall. Miss out part 6 as it deffo won't come up and probs take a cheeky look at part 4 :smile:

but they could be sneaky and give us another one... :frown: let's hope they don't!!

I guess they ended up being sneaky and gave us part 3 instead! it was such a confusing exam - i completely do not know how well or how badly i have done
Reply 121
Original post by leha
i honestly thought the questions were a bit of a godsend! i did browning for section A and luckily it was one of the very few *poems i actually enjoy doing, wasnt expecting to see a question about the depiction of women since it came up last summer, but so happy to see as it makes it so so easy to hit ao3!
maybe i just had better suited texts for section B? i thought the question about names was super easy, the great gatsby and the kite runner are just asking for it with their titles!

Aaaah when I read the first section B question, it had me so confused that I didn't bother re-reading and just switched onto the second one (as did most of my class, as I found out, which did seem like a godsend, especially compared to the first one!) But now that you mention book titles, I see that I took 'names' literally and didn't bother to explore it further than the characters' names (or lack of such, i.e. the Mariner or a lot of Browning's stuff).
I was very confident with how I've performed when walking out of the exam, and now you've planted some doubts in me! Still hoping for an A, though.

The Gatsby question was pretty darn sweet and easy, though.
Can anyone remember precisely what the first question in section B was?
Generic conventions and references to characters...anyone else feeling like AQA are out to get us? :P
Does anyone know how much spelling affects your grade because I was on a laptop but didn't have time to proof read and I know I have quite a few typing errors?
Original post by Sarahalwan

Does anyone know how much spelling affects your grade because I was on a laptop but didn't have time to proof read and I know I have quite a few typing errors?

It would hit AO1, which isn't assessed in the first question. However, hopefully they'll make allowances for the fact that you were using a laptop!
Original post by greengables
It would hit AO1, which isn't assessed in the first question. However, hopefully they'll make allowances for the fact that you were using a laptop!

Do you think it will have killed my chances of coming close to an A?

Do you think it will have killed my chances of coming close to an A?

It really depends on how well you did on the other AOs! Although I must say, often the raw/ums conversion for this unit is extremely low (especially in January, it seems), and I have seen the script of someone who got 120 UMS which had the odd spelling mistake on it.
Original post by greengables
It really depends on how well you did on the other AOs! Although I must say, often the raw/ums conversion for this unit is extremely low (especially in January, it seems), and I have seen the script of someone who got 120 UMS which had the odd spelling mistake on it.

Thank you so much :smile: time for politics and chemistry revision now!
Reply 128
Original post by partickler
Saw your notes too late :frown:.

They intimidate me. I didn't revise to THIS extent! How did it go for you?

I found it pretty hard. I did Tennyson for A and part 3 of the Lady of Shalott is the only bit I didn't revise and that came up!
Section B was awful and I stupidly chose the first one, talking about the strengths of monologues, different narrative voices and Nick as an unreliable narrator. Don't even know if that is the right thing to write about.
Original post by Vikasi
Aaaah when I read the first section B question, it had me so confused that I didn't bother re-reading and just switched onto the second one (as did most of my class, as I found out, which did seem like a godsend, especially compared to the first one!) But now that you mention book titles, I see that I took 'names' literally and didn't bother to explore it further than the characters' names (or lack of such, i.e. the Mariner or a lot of Browning's stuff).
I was very confident with how I've performed when walking out of the exam, and now you've planted some doubts in me! Still hoping for an A, though.

The Gatsby question was pretty darn sweet and easy, though.
Can anyone remember precisely what the first question in section B was?

how could we have used book titles?
Reply 130
Original post by thatssoraven
how could we have used book titles?

Did the question focus specifically on character names? Or did it give 'names' in an ambiguous way? I forgot.
I did Tennyson and I thought part 3 LoS was allrriight but some of my points were a little weak. Part Ab I found quite difficult to word without being repetitive but basically said that the characters were more memorable than the visual effects, which were more tools to characterise them.
I strongly disliked part B, I did the forms and conventions question using Gatsby, Hardy poetry and The Kite Runner. I said about Gatsby being a tragedy and him as a tragic hero, the Kite Runner being a bildungsroman novel with some fictive biographical elements and Hardy poetry being romance and elegy. I didn't really know the conventions though so my points weren't that deeply analytical :/ anyone else do similar stuff? Or any other opinions on the questions?
Reply 132
i wish the exams were 3 hours long. i hate that i write slow as ****.
Reply 133
gahh i was so ready for jessie cameron to come up for Rossetti which didnt come!
Who did the english lit/lang spec B resit today??????
Reply 135
Argh Section B was vile! I complete forgot to reference eponymous heroes too! Plus I found it super difficult to link form and structure in with names D: Argh
Reply 136
Original post by thatssoraven
did anyone do Hardy for section a? what did you take 'disappointed love' to mean?

I did! I was pleasantly surprised at the question :smile: I just referred to his poems such as "Afterwards" and "Neutral Tones" and went on to explain other prominent themes running throughout his poems. Although disappointed love was the main theme.
Original post by lauren_a
Argh Section B was vile! I complete forgot to reference eponymous heroes too! Plus I found it super difficult to link form and structure in with names D: Argh

You had to link form and structure to Section B? :eek: I thought that only applied to Section A :redface:
Reply 137
You had to link form and structure to Section B? :eek: I thought that only applied to Section A :redface:

From the way I learned, it's
Ai -AO2 (Narrative, which includes form/structure)
Aii - AO1/3/4

B -AO1/2/3

Now thinking about it, I didn't include any form or structure in my section B answer... Poop.
Reply 138
Original post by S_mush
I did! I was pleasantly surprised at the question :smile: I just referred to his poems such as "Afterwards" and "Neutral Tones" and went on to explain other prominent themes running throughout his poems. Although disappointed love was the main theme.

Idk I thought you did, cos it's AO2. But it shouldn't matter, you've probably done it without thinking.
Reply 139
Did anyone do Carol Ann Duffy The Worlds Wife and do the question on change? Would be helpful to discuss what we did if anyone did :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending