The Student Room Group

52 Weeks: 52 Books. 2016 Reading Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minimarshmallow
You might struggle...*

Can you remember some of the ones you've read? You can give yourself an estimate.

Um.. I think so? :dontknow:

Will try to do that, then. :woo:
So Far I've read:

Spoiler

Original post by Pens&Papers
I've read 1 book - 'Before I go to sleep.' :h: It was very good, especially the ending which I never reach !!

I love that book! :smile: I went to a literary festival last week and met SJ Watson.
:badger::banana:
Original post by Krollo
Finally finished it. I thought it was quite good, really, rather funny in parts but ultimately I prefer most of his earlier works. This one just seemed too much of a rant in some bits, though as ever the history he brings in is invariably interesting.

15. The Master and Margarita (Bulgakov)
16. The Road to Little Dribbling (Bryson)
17. The Threepenny Opera (Brecht)

Currently reading:
Coalition (David Laws) -rather good book for someone of my political persuasion
Dynamics and Relativity (David Tong)
A Very Short Introduction to Particle Physics (Frank Close)

Intend to start on rereading If This Is A Man, and reading Phaedo, soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

18. Coalition (David Laws). A very informative book on those five years that so addle my party to this day, for better or for worse. Any bias was naturally welcomed.

19. Dynamics and Relativity (David Tong). I skimmed over a few bits of this, which I shall revisit in a bit, but it's a very good presentation. Nice and 'physicsy' in the right parts.

20. Phaedo (Plato). Didn't get most of this the first time I read it, and still don't get much out of it now. It's certainly interesting for the sake of the story, and the philosophy is engaging in parts, but for most of it it seems either entirely specious or just a bit boring. Much preferred Cicero's treatment of much the same issues.

21. If This Is A Man (Levi). Heavy stuff, perhaps heavier the second time around. I once made a vague pact with myself that I would make an effort to read this book each year or so to remind myself what odious little sh**s humans can be when we're in the mood; it really did affect me on a basic level the first time I read it and I felt the same emotions this time. I feel this springs not just from the truly awful matters under discussion, but from the writing style Levi adopts: calm and concise, to the extent that the reader is left to draw their own inferences.

22. The Truce (Levi). As Levi wanders home, his next memoir becomes a discussion of all manner of things: the various odd people he meets, situations he finds himself in, and places he encounters. His style is again precisely on point. It elicits something a little different; wonder, hope, even laughter in one memorable chapter, while constantly leaving me feeling a little 'off' somehow.

23. On Liberty (Mill). Possibly more than most philosophers I've read, and certainly more so than Plato, reading Mill gives me repeated mental responses of 'You're dead on there, John.' His views are quite breathtakingly modern, and express a view of true liberalism that I wish was more widespread. Fostering freedom of opinion and individuality is, I agree, essential; while I remain to be convinced that smaller government is necessaeily better on the whole there is much to admire.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 323
I've been putting use to my spare time lately. Over the past two weeks I have read:

Kingfountain series by Jeff Wheeler. 9/10. Only the first two of the trilogy have been released. I am longingly awaiting the release of the third and final book.

The dark ability - D.K Holmberg. 6 books long with the seventh coming later this month. For the series as a whole 9/10 would happily recommend. I have added his other books to my to read list.

The evermen saga - James Maxwell. 4 books long and well written in my honest opinion. However I am unsure why but I feel that they were not as good as they could have been. 8/10. In order to not spoil I won't explain explicitly what I mean but the author manages to combine two aspects of the fantasy genre very well where in general others would keep them separate.

Currently reading:
Throne of glass - Sarah J Maas
In search of Schrödinger's cat - John Gribbin (I don't read scientific books as fast as fiction)

To read (hopefully):
More books by Sarah J Maas.
More books by D.K Holmberg.
More books by Robin Hobb.
End of Jeff Wheeler's kingfountain series
And I recently had the authors Brandon Sanderson and Tom Reynolds recommended to me after I befriended someone I came across who happened to have a very similar interest in books to me.
Original post by JM_1998

I'm currently reading Fahrenheit 451, and for all of the wonderful writing, Bradbury sure was the original technophobe. After that I'm thinking some poetry or a memoir. :biggrin:

Aaaaand here we are again:

20. Cat on A Hot Tin Roof - 4/5

Spoiler

21. How To Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran - 1/5

Spoiler

22. Macbeth by Shakespeare - 5/5

Spoiler

23. The Sport of Kings by C.E Morgan - 4/5

Spoiler

24. Shrill: Notes From A Loud Woman by Lindy West - 5/5

Spoiler

About halfway to my goal, hoping to get to about 34 books before Uni starts and I'm drowning in my reading lists for classes haha
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JM_1998

24. Shrill: Notes From A Loud Woman by Lindy West - 5/5

Spoiler

About halfway to my goal, hoping to get to about 34 books before Uni starts and I'm drowning in my reading lists for classes haha

I've had this on my wishlist for a while now, I might move it up.

That link isn't going to your review of it though, I'd like to read it so could you sort that?

Would you be okay if I added you as a friend on Goodreads if I haven't done so already?
Original post by minimarshmallow
I've had this on my wishlist for a while now, I might move it up.

That link isn't going to your review of it though, I'd like to read it so could you sort that?

Would you be okay if I added you as a friend on Goodreads if I haven't done so already?

Thank you for pointing that out! :biggrin: - I've fixed it now (I think haha)
I had done the same with my Sport of Kings Rev. and added a link to the book by mistake lol
And yeah of course you can add me :smile: - I love having new people on my GR so I can discover more and more books :u:
Original post by JM_1998

I realise I updated two days ago but I've read two amazing books in those two days so yes please read these guys - they're brilliant:

25. Kissing The Witch by Emma Donoghue - 4/5

Spoiler

26. Beast by Paul Kingsnorth - 5/5

Spoiler

Two in two days with full reviews is pretty alright in my book :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
I started kinda late but for the rest of the year, I will be doing one book a week. As I am a fast reader less than that :colondollar:.
I hope manga counts!!

At the moment I have done:
- The Great Gatsby
- Secret (Manga) vol 1 to 3
- Kagerou Daze (Manga) vol 1 & 2
- Blue Exorcist
- Fairy Tail

Books to start/finish:
- 12 Years A slave
- Chasing The North Star
- The Hobbit
- Memoirs of a Geisha
- Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone
- Ghost Hunt
- Durarara (Light Novels and Manga)
- Lord of The Ring: The fellowship of the Ring
- Lord of The Rings: Two Towers
- Lord of The Rings: Return of The King
- Dr Jekyll and Hyde
- The Curious Incident Of the Dog in The Nighttime
- Alice In wonderland and through the Looking Glass
Reply 329
Original post by BunnyMidnight
I started kinda late but for the rest of the year, I will be doing one book a week. As I am a fast reader less than that :colondollar:.
I hope manga counts!!

At the moment I have done:
- The Great Gatsby
- Secret (Manga) vol 1 to 3
- Kagerou Daze (Manga) vol 1 & 2
- Blue Exorcist
- Fairy Tail

Books to start/finish:
- 12 Years A slave
- Chasing The North Star
- The Hobbit
- Memoirs of a Geisha
- Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone
- Ghost Hunt
- Durarara (Light Novels and Manga)
- Lord of The Ring: The fellowship of the Ring
- Lord of The Rings: Two Towers
- Lord of The Rings: Return of The King
- Dr Jekyll and Hyde
- The Curious Incident Of the Dog in The Nighttime
- Alice In wonderland and through the Looking Glass

Good luck with Tolkien. I myself am a fast reader having just just read 14 books in as many days but the LOTR books each took a couple of weeks, and the silmarillion took me a couple of months. Slow reading, but they are such great works of fantasy fiction that reading them actually feels rewarding.

As for my own reading. I am now onto the third book of the Sarah J Maas throne of glass series and am rather enjoying them. A solid 9/10 and looking forward to reading her other books.
I'm up to 56, which is apparently still 5 behind schedule (as I'm aiming for 100) so I need to pick up a little!
Achieved my target of 12 new books the other week!! I constantly re-read books so I've read WAY more than 12:biggrin:

Recent reads:
The Selection 9/10
The Elite 8/10
The One 9/10
The Heir 9/10
The Crown 8/10
Entangled 8/10 (kindle book)
Enchanted 10/10 (kindle book)
The Institute 7/10 (kindle book)

I go on holiday in a few days so I can assure you I will have read 20 new books by then
Reply 332
Original post by AfcFob
Achieved my target of 12 new books the other week!! I constantly re-read books so I've read WAY more than 12:biggrin:

Recent reads:
The Selection 9/10
The Elite 8/10
The One 9/10
The Heir 9/10
The Crown 8/10
Entangled 8/10 (kindle book)
Enchanted 10/10 (kindle book)
The Institute 7/10 (kindle book)

I go on holiday in a few days so I can assure you I will have read 20 new books by then

May I ask for the authors please? It would make it a lot easier to add the books to my to read list.
And as a general request to everyone in this thread, I'd love to know which books you find yourself rereading the most often.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spico
May I ask for the authors please? It would make it a lot easier to add the books to my to read list.
And as a general request to everyone in this thread, I'd love to know which books you find yourself rereading the most often.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG I forgot the authors 😂😬

The Selection, Elite, One, Heir and Crown are all by Keira Cass

Entangled and Enchanted are part of a longer series my Jessica Sorensen ( Part of Shattered Promises)

The Institute is by Kayla Howarth

I've also just finished another kindle book called The Mind Readers by Lori Brighton which was awesome, too
So Far I've read:

Spoiler

Reply 335
I'm not sure what my total is so far. I need to update the completion dates on my goodreads at some point.

I'm in the middle of personal statement and epq season and so won't be reading anything until afterwards, but I'm going to leave a to-read list here.
A court of thorns and roses - Sarah j Maas
Empire of storms - Sarah j Maas
Revenge of seven - pittacus lore
Fate of ten - pittacus lore
United as one - pittacus lore
Clariel - Garth nix
To engineer is human - Henry Petroski.
(edited 7 years ago)
just found this thread now and i think this is a great motivation to read books.
I have a few books which i plan to read, hopefully by the end of this year

Spoiler

I will start off with these 2 for this month.
10 Steps to Awesome Grades - Thomas Frank
The power of Habit - Charles Duhigg
Having a bit of a moral dilemma :p:

Do novellas count as a book?
I'm currently reading a series that has 5 of them, and they're only about 80 pages each.

If the series only had 1 or 2 novellas I would count them individually, but 5 seems excessive! haha

That said, I'm currently 4 books behind schedule :colondollar:
Reply 338
Original post by SerotoninAddict
Having a bit of a moral dilemma :p:

Do novellas count as a book?
I'm currently reading a series that has 5 of them, and they're only about 80 pages each.

If the series only had 1 or 2 novellas I would count them individually, but 5 seems excessive! haha

That said, I'm currently 4 books behind schedule :colondollar:

Take the average number of pages the other books you read tend to have and then count each novella as a fraction of a book based on that. If you usually read 400 page books count five of em as one book.if you usually read 150-200 page books then count one for every two novellas. Moral dilemma solved

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spico
Take the average number of pages the other books you read tend to have and then count each novella as a fraction of a book based on that. If you usually read 400 page books count five of em as one book.if you usually read 150-200 page books then count one for every two novellas. Moral dilemma solved

Posted from TSR Mobile

After much deliberation I've decided that I'm going to have to count them all as one, because all of them combined only comes to 450 pages, which is the size of a normal book I read.

Will just have to up my reading to get back on track :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending