The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford 2016/17 Postgraduate

Scroll to see replies

Got a First and I'm in - yay! I've also been assigned to Kellogg college - does anyone have any info on it?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by cphilosophy1
I can't say that I am withdrawing but now that I have finally gotten the money together I am starting to wonder if it will be worth the money. By the way, getting the money was a struggle for me so I really feel your pain.

It is SO hard. The tuition and college fee suck up the entire student loan and as I really want to do a PhD, I'm overly cautious about getting a loan (£250 repayments a month for the next five years will potentially derail that plan).

I'm so happy you've managed to get the money together. I'm sure it will be worth it. I just wan't sure it was worth a massive bank loan.

I would really love to have gone, but I don't think I can justify it. I've also been offered a scholarship from another institution. Having my tuition paid and being contacted regularly by tutors who really sound enthusiastic about having me there is a no brainer really.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1922
Original post by Samantha.L.M
It is SO hard. The tuition and college fee suck up the entire student loan and as I really want to do a PhD, I'm overly cautious about getting a loan (£250 repayments a month for the next five years will potentially derail that plan).

I'm so happy you've managed to get the money together. I'm sure it will be worth it. I just wan't sure it was worth a massive bank loan.

I would really love to have gone, but I don't think I can justify it. I've also been offered a scholarship from another institution. Having my tuition paid and being contacted regularly by tutors who really sound enthusiastic about having me there is a no brainer really.

Samantha, I totally get your point. I just went to the bank yesterday to take a massive loan (basically tuition fees for three years), and more than that, I'm about to decline a full scholarship at La Sorbonne...

I won't tell you what to do, it was already a horrible dilemma for me too. But I do know how you feel, and I wish you the best.
Original post by NaomiMadeleine
Got a First and I'm in - yay! I've also been assigned to Kellogg college - does anyone have any info on it?

Congratulations!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1924
Is anybody else withdrawing at this point now there is no hope of a scholarship? I really can't pay for everything :frown:

I gave up. I won't do a PhD, that was my last attempt. :s-smilie:
Anybody have trouble turning down an offer from a PPH? Got my offer three weeks ago but was unable to communicate via phone due to traveling, emailed last week and was promised a call this week but haven't been called. At this point, if I decline and wait for another college to offer, is there any chance of still getting in-college accommodation?
Reply 1926
Original post by Tejano
Anybody have trouble turning down an offer from a PPH? Got my offer three weeks ago but was unable to communicate via phone due to traveling, emailed last week and was promised a call this week but haven't been called. At this point, if I decline and wait for another college to offer, is there any chance of still getting in-college accommodation?

I have no idea, so you should contact the right people, but what I can tell you is that now it's already to late to get an accommodation at Balliol (which is my college)... Don't know if it helps a bit.
Original post by Josb
I gave up. I won't do a PhD, that was my last attempt. :s-smilie:

Sorry to hear that. I wish you well with whatever your next move is!
Has anyone received the student contract from their department?
Original post by Francium
Has anyone received the student contract from their department?

What do you mean? I received something that could be loosely called a contract, but I don't think it was ever called that
Original post by sat0ri
What do you mean? I received something that could be loosely called a contract, but I don't think it was ever called that

"Once you have met all the university and college conditions that have been set, your department or faculty will then confirm that you have completed your conditions. You will be asked to sign and return a form confirming your details and intention to enrol at the University of Oxford and the College student contract as a condition of enrolment."

(From my offer letter)
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey everyone, hope you're all well and have received the grades, college and accommodation that you all wanted!

I will be in Kellogg College, 38 NR accommodation, anyone else?

If anyone is studying MSc in Sociology this year, I have set up a thread for us!

Look forward to meeting some of you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anyone applied for accommodation yet? I was just told my Financial Declaration will take several weeks to approve and as a result I probably won't get college accommodation (I can't apply for accommodation until it's approved).

Do any current Oxford students know how easy it is to get non-college accommodation? When is best to start looking? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Francium
"Once you have met all the university and college conditions that have been set, your department or faculty will then confirm that you have completed your conditions. You will be asked to sign and return a form confirming your details and intention to enrol at the University of Oxford and the College student contract as a condition of enrolment."

(From my offer letter)

Yeah I signed something called a "preliminary acceptance form" which was to confirm my intention to enroll. It was due 6/17. However, it was very non-committing as it stated "your right to cancel" was virtually without consequence up to approximately 1 month in advance. My financial decleration form is due August 5th, and I think that is the one that really locks you in.

I'm still looking for funding (specifically by applying to university jobs) so I right now I'm more focused on that aspect. I guess I will have to look closer at that as well.
So in a momentous turn of events, I seem to have been offered a last minute scholarship!! I have spent a full 24 hours in complete shock, just processing the fact that I can actually go to Oxford. Also had to check I wasn't dreaming. Now I'm bouncing around the house in a complete state of elation! Can't wait to see you all in October!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sat0ri
Yeah I signed something called a "preliminary acceptance form" which was to confirm my intention to enroll. It was due 6/17. However, it was very non-committing as it stated "your right to cancel" was virtually without consequence up to approximately 1 month in advance. My financial decleration form is due August 5th, and I think that is the one that really locks you in.

I'm still looking for funding (specifically by applying to university jobs) so I right now I'm more focused on that aspect. I guess I will have to look closer at that as well.

and you sent in the preliminary acceptance after sending the department your grades?
So in a momentous turn of events, I seem to have been offered a last minute scholarship!! I have spent a full 24 hours in complete shock, just processing the fact that I can actually go to Oxford. Also had to check I wasn't dreaming. Now I'm bouncing around the house in a complete state of elation! Can't wait to see you all in October!

This is awesome! So pleased for you! Yay!!!

Massive congratulations!! I'm so so happy for you! See you in October! What an excellent surprise. :smile:
Original post by Elisabella
Has anyone applied for accommodation yet? I was just told my Financial Declaration will take several weeks to approve and as a result I probably won't get college accommodation (I can't apply for accommodation until it's approved).

Do any current Oxford students know how easy it is to get non-college accommodation? When is best to start looking? Thanks :smile:

I applied ages ago, Kellogg college gave specific deadlines that you needed to apply by. For my application, my Financial Declaration form was processed in two days. I found out the following week that I got college accommodation. Not sure if the process is different with each college.

I'm not a Oxford student yet, but from experience, if you're starting in October it would benefit you to start looking for places now.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 1939
Original post by Elisabella

I'm in the same boat here! I have been waiting for at least five weeks now for the Financial Declaration to be approved... And the university accommodation is already full. So I'm getting slightly worried. :< Here is a list of alternative accommodation given on the accommodation office website though.

http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/media/global/wwwadminoxacuk/localsites/accommodation/documents/Alternative_Accommodation.pdf

Also, there is a group on facebook called Oxgradhousing which might be helpful.

But I still wish I would be able to secure college accommodation. The whole thing would be much simpler that way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending