The Student Room Group

doctors salary

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I was just wondering if someone could offer a helpful not confusing but very informative explanation to me of what banding is and how it affects pay (for doctors).

I hear about it on TSR all the time where pay and jobs are concerned but I haven't a clue what banding is. All I know is that it's that "funny thing" people on TSR talk about and that it affects your pay.

All explanations will be appreciated (and the occassional link if possible) :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by digitalis
The whole area is very confusing! An on-call can mean a few things:

1.) A long day/'late': Where you do your normal 8-5 day job, then you go and pick up a new bleep and do late cover from 5-8 for example.

2.) Nights: 8PM to 8AM, say.

3.) Weekends.

As a junior (i.e. anything below a consultant-maybe things like opthalmology or ENT are exceptions to this) you will have to take resident, in house calls. I.e. you can't go home and then get called in. The rules changed a few years ago because of the shift based system that you can't sleep on these on calls. This is because instead of doing the old system, where you would work your normal week then every 2/3/4th day you would stay up the whole night, on call, then continue your day job (meaning you would be up for like 48hrs+) you do shifts now. So you could do a week of lates (12 hour days), week of days (normal 8-5), week of nights etc etc.

Ohh right! Ok thanks! :smile:

And its good that it changed! Imagine working and staying up 48+ hours! :O
Original post by Lord Jon
I was just wondering if someone could offer a helpful not confusing but very informative explanation to me of what banding is and how it affects pay (for doctors).

I hear about it on TSR all the time where pay and jobs are concerned but I haven't a clue what banding is. All I know is that it's that "funny thing" people on TSR talk about and that it affects your pay.

All explanations will be appreciated (and the occassional link if possible) :smile:

Lot of the questions have been answered on the 'doctors salary' thread, read down.

Essentially, you get paid a base rate. Currently 22k for a new FY1. As compensation/?bonus for doing evenings, weekends and nights which are antisocial hours, you get an uplift aka a band.

1A is 50%
1B is 40%

Most hospital jobs are banded. Things where you are supernumerary or don't have on calls (O&G, GP) etc and don't have to do evenings, weekends and nights you don't get banded and just get your base pay.
Reply 44
Original post by Helenia
-

Original post by thegodofgod
-

Original post by digitalis
T-

Hi, do any of you know the age in which you can sit in a GP consultation?

For example if i get a gp work experience placement do i HAVE to do reception work etc? Or am i legally allowed to sit in if the patient gives consent?
Original post by IgorYakov

For example if i get a gp work experience placement do i HAVE to do reception work etc? Or am i legally allowed to sit in if the patient gives consent?

I've not heard of any legal age. But I had some experience with a GP for 2 weeks, and I was allowed to sit in on consultations where the patient consented - I was 17 at the time.

I'd stab a guess at 16 - that's when I did my first GP / hospital work experience placement
Reply 47

It will mostly depend on the practice's policy - some of them won't allow any work experience students to sit in with the GPs, and some will be ok with it. 16 is generally the minimum age.
Reply 48
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by Helenia
More 9-5 specialties like GP, psychiatry etc will not get so much, if anything, extra.

GP registrar (& also when you do it as an ST1 or ST2 on GPVTS) 'supplement' is approximately 45% in GP jobs - so somewhere between 1B & 1A. :yep:

However, FY2s doing GP can potentially be shafted if they are unbanded but expected to do GP Reg style hours which sadly are not 9-5!

It's a different pattern of working really - most Practices have more 'evening' rather than afternoon surgeries & also in the GP posts you do one out of hours session a month.
My current work pattern tends to be:

Spoiler

Also for the people who were wondering about deductions/take home etc. etc. I have posted on this before digging out old payslips:

Me

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1943389&page=93&p=37703322&highlight=#post37703322

Sure. Or don't be too shy - people have posted salaries before I think... they're fairly googleable.

So you have your basic - off the top of my head something like £22K FY1, £27K FY2, £29K ST1/CT1.
Then you have your banding - 1A is 50%, 1B is 40%, 1C is 20% & there are unbanded jobs.
Multiply basic by banding 1.x.
Add on a London weighting if applicable.
Minuses pensions/taxes etc. - here is can get tricky - in FY1 you'll have a financial year where you haven't worked the full year & people may or may not have student loan.

My take home monthly (ok, I'm rounding to 2nd place!) as an FY1 (1B, fringe London, student loan being deducted, pension contributions taken out) was usually £1880.
For FY2 (1A, more inner London, loan + pension still) £2370
ST1 (super inner London, loan + pension still) at 1B £2260 at GP banding £2440

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by Helenia
I'm not completely sure if I count as an SAS doctor. My official title is "junior clinical fellow" and I am basically doing an SHO-level job that is not officially recognised for training. My basic salary is the same as a CT1 in any other specialty (£29,705 this year, I think) and I am 1A banded so I get 50% extra on top of that, plus ~£2K in London weighting. My hours average 48 per week, and currently I don't do any nights but do work every other Saturday.

Sweet as a nut.
Controversial post, but doesnt anyone else think that the salary a doctor gets is pretty low for the amount of work they do? I didnt go into this career for the pay check, but i think its pretty measly given the amount of work put in to it compared to other sectors.
No NIC discounts - however as pension and any salary sacrifice payments are taken prior to NI and tax they reduce your tax and ni liability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by inthevale
Controversial post, but doesnt anyone else think that the salary a doctor gets is pretty low for the amount of work they do? I didnt go into this career for the pay check, but i think its pretty measly given the amount of work put in to it compared to other sectors.

Compared to nursing...?
Original post by Zorg
Compared to nursing...?

Part of the problem and often a source of much wailing and gnashing of teeth on TSR is the lack of ongoing accountability of foundation and core yrainee doctors for decision making, compare to HST / SAS / Cons or Nursing Staff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending