The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
rpotter

No, I'm not sure where this idea comes from, all hawing did was show that according to general relativity time began at the big bang, and thus nothing can have existed before it since there was no before. The chuirch hijacked the idea of a beginning and said it proved a god, it does not, and it does really annoy me when people tell others that science has proved the eixistence of god, in fact science has found no evidence for god.

--------------

here's the thread and article im referring to :http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t180110.html

But then that would mean that god does not answer prayers, because if he did, we would be able to detect it

sometimes he does answer prayers in ways we can see - if the chance of something happeining is very remote and we pray hard and it happens, all is well and good. but if someothing is not in His will, it will not happen - we pray that 'thy will be done' not 'my will be done'. eg if someone is dying of a painful disease, we might pray for them to live but God might think it is best they are with HIm. but did you study ACTS - Adoration is to adore God, to worship him and to fulfil the commandment to love him with all of our heart, mind and soul.
Confession allows us to clear away the things in the relationship between you and God which are displeasing to Him. All of us have sinned. St John writes in his epistle "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (I Jn 1:8,9)

Thanksgiving. Each moment God is blessing us, every minute we can recall the wonderful things that God has done for us, and the gifts that we have been given.

Supplication or Intercession. Finally we come to ask God for our needs and the needs of others. There are many demands on our prayer time - many topics and issues that we could pray for, so we need to choose, and to be specific. (more about topics to pray for)

so it shouldnt just be asking for stuff, then complaining when we dont get it. i find that if i have done something bad and i pray hard because i am sorry, often i will find an inner peace take away the guilt, and the knowledge of what i must do to make it right. and if i have a question or moral dilemma or something bad happens to me i find praying means the answer just pops into my head.
http://www.prayerguide.org.uk/actsmodel.htm

Just becuase a large number of people believe something, doenst make it right. Centuries back most people belived the earth was flat. Religion was created to explain the world, how we came into being etc, but now we are beggining to undrstand that there is no need for supernatural explanations, traditions are not always right. If something is wrong, should we believe it just becuse are anscestors did?

--------------

yes but this belief was not all around the word - The modern flat earth movement was originated by an eccentric English inventor, Samuel Birley Rowbotham (1816-1884), but the Bible states the world is round Bible does not claim about flat earth as you said. Bible says 3 times that earth is round. Read this:
Job 22:14 Thick clouds cover Him, so that He cannot see, And He walks above the circle of heaven.'
Prov 8:27 When He prepared the heavens, I was there, When He drew a circle on the face of the deep,
Isa 40:22 It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.
Aristotle, 4th century BC, thought it was round. so the belief in the flat earth was not universal globally where as the belief in God mostly is. no country has atheism as a main religion

Christian missionaries do not heal the sick in hospitals, why is it that all supposed miracles involve things that could have got better over time, why has none grown a leg back?

People living good lives is not evidence for jesus

--------------
they do not need to perform miracles - think of Air Ambulance volunteers - they help the sick get well, as do volunteers in hospitals in africa and croatia.

Well the world is not just about us, we are but tiny insignificant specs in the universe, not as important as religions make us out to be. Morality has in fact been shown to be of evolutional advantage to humans since it helps preserve communities which are to the benefit of everyone.

Many christians do point to mrality for evidence, however as I have just explained all of those things are of evolutionary advantage, science explains it without resorting to a deity, which doesnt actually answer any questions.

so what if morality is of evolutional advantage? there is no evidence that it is genetically passed down. it must be God given
Reply 41
I don't know if you, shinytoy or rpotter have ever seen the miracles of the bodies of some saints that have remained incorruptible?

A friend of mine went to Lourdres and whilst away visited the tomb of St. Bernadette who witnessed the vision of the Virgin Mary over a period of time.

She died in 1879 and her body remains as it was on the date of her death.

I am providing a link to a website that details this miracle and others of other saints.

http://www.livingmiracles.net/Incorrupt.html

No scientific explanation has ever been offered to refute these miracles.
Reply 42
Im pretty sure that bernadette was embalmed in some way to make her that way. A similar process as was carried out on the body of lenin

--------------

Oh rite the 'fine tuning' of the initial state. Yes it does seem that these are almost perfect to get a universe like ours. However there is the argument that we are only here because of it, were it not like that, we would not be here to comment on the liklehood of it happening. Although that isnt a particularly strong argument, it is looking like cosmology might explain why the initial conditions were like that, it may be that becuse of the laws of the universe they simply had to be like that. The main thing is that we dont yet know. However as I pointed out, just because we dont yet know doesnt mean that there is a god, I could just as well say a teapot did it.

--------------

There is no evidence for miracles, indeed sometimes things happent hat are extremely unlikely, but there is no need for god in this

--------------

shinytoy
yes but this belief was not all around the word - The modern flat earth movement was originated by an eccentric English inventor, Samuel Birley Rowbotham (1816-1884), but the Bible states the world is round Bible does not claim about flat earth as you said. Bible says 3 times that earth is round. Read this:
Job 22:14 Thick clouds cover Him, so that He cannot see, And He walks above the circle of heaven.'
Prov 8:27 When He prepared the heavens, I was there, When He drew a circle on the face of the deep,
Isa 40:22 It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.
Aristotle, 4th century BC, thought it was round. so the belief in the flat earth was not universal globally where as the belief in God mostly is. no country has atheism as a main religion

Oh yes, I know that the whole world didnt think that, but a large number of people did. However the bible only says the world is a circle, not a sphere, indicating that it is flat.

No country has atheism as its main religion, because it is not a religion. However China is an entirely atheist country.

Again I will repeat, because lots of people believe something doesnt make it right. It doesnt really have a bearing on the matter
Reply 43
omg yawn that thing about the saints is scary and weird. in a way, if that really is true, i can understand why people cannot believe in God - to have e something as inexplicable as that happen is terrifying
Reply 44
shinytoy
so what if morality is of evolutional advantage? there is no evidence that it is genetically passed down. it must be God given

There is evidence that it is a genetic trait actually. However even if it hasnt been proved yet, doesnt mean god did it. It does get annoying when people say that science cant entirely explain this yet, thus god did it. That is not evidence for god
Reply 45
interestingly, rpotter how do you explain stigmata?
http://www.livingmiracles.net/Stigmata.html
Reply 46
shinytoy
omg yawn that thing about the saints is scary and weird. in a way, if that really is true, i can understand why people cannot believe in God - to have e something as inexplicable as that happen is terrifying

unfortunately it is not true
Reply 47
shinytoy

Indeed. In the case of St. Bernadette - she was buried soon after her death and not embalmed prior to burial. Some thirty years after her death, and following miracles through intercession attributed to her, her body was exhumed and found to be incorrupt. Even if she had been embalmed, the process does not prevent eventual corruption, and the fact that she now rests in a glass casket, above ground and subject to the heat of the surrounding area bears remarkable witness to this miracle. We have to remember that she died 130 years ago) (I've done some online research into embalming before posting this, in view of rpotter's dismissal! :smile: )

I read in todays newspaper that a nun has had a miraculous cure from Parkinsons disease after her community prayed to Pope John Paul II. Preliminary investigations have confounded scientists and the case now faces even stiffer investigations along the road to beatification of John Paul II.

If those who do not believe in God were to admit to themselves that such miracles have occurred and are still occurring, it would mean that they have to concede that God does exist.
Reply 48
rpotter

Again I will repeat, because lots of people believe something doesnt make it right. It doesnt really have a bearing on the matter

You're in good company with that statement! :biggrin:

Pope Benedict XVI said more or less the same thing: "Truth is not subject to majority opinion".

Of course, he was coming from the opposite direction to you. :wink:
Id love to join the RCSoc, though if its going to be another D+D thread then....
Reply 50
Im Catholic, and Im applying to become a priest, so do I qualify?
As regards the comment that China remains an atheist country. In fact, the underground faith is immensely strong. There are around 7 million Roman Catholics in China alone and the faith is growing everyday as in Malyasia. Yet due to Communist regime this is repressed. Sometimes this makes people appreciate their faith; we should consider how lucky we are to be 'free' to have faith and even the opportunity to sit!
A world without God is unfathomable.
Statistically you are better off to believe in God considering the negative effects if you didn't. I believe this is Wenger's theory- correct me if I'm wrong.
Recently published figures suggest that Church attendance in Ireland has plummeted. However, I do not feel too concerned about this since love of God is not a matter of statistics. The Pope stated on WYD that he would rather have a purer, even if that means smaller, Church. I believe this too.
What do you think?
Reply 52
EnglishDude
The Pope stated on WYD that he would rather have a purer, even if that means smaller, Church. I believe this too.
What do you think?

Hmmmm
I personally think that we need to maintain numbers, however, we also need to get more young people back into the church (if anyone read "The Universe" this week, they may have read the article Im thinking of). However, we do need to become purer again, but we have lost the way as it is, maybe a Vatican III is in order?
Yes I read that Universe article essentially about the youth and the Church. Interesting read.
However if you feel numbers are important then if I was to tell you that there are over 1.8 billion RC's in the World then I do not feel there is much to worry about. Yet, despite this figure, which is mainly due to influence of the faith in Third World regions, the West has let the Church down.
There should not be a pick and mix faith- whereby people claim to be Catholics yet use contraceptives without thinking twice!!! It should be all or nothing. Not simply to 'follow' the guidelines of the Church as a political authority, but to follow God fully. We make up God's body on Earth, but this body needs purifying.
Reply 54
Also
Logo wise, what do people think of as the logo?
Reply 55
EnglishDude
There should not be a pick and mix faith- whereby people claim to be Catholics yet use contraceptives without thinking twice!!! It should be all or nothing. Not simply to 'follow' the guidelines of the Church as a political authority, but to follow God fully. We make up God's body on Earth, but this body needs purifying.

Woah!
We need to re-think the way we address certain issues, that is the main reason the church isnt attractive to the youth.
Reply 56
fr browne
Id love to join the RCSoc, though if its going to be another D+D thread then....

There are those who would try to bring their own atheistic agendas here.

I believe they do so because they are seeking something they are missing. :smile:

What aspect of Catholicism would you like to share with other practising Catholics?
Reply 57
deej2
Woah!
We need to re-think the way we address certain issues, that is the main reason the church isnt attractive to the youth.

Don't you agree though that Christ's Church cannot be subject to the whims of modern society but must remain true to His teachings?
Reply 58
deej2
Also
Logo wise, what do people think of as the logo?

Brilliant suggestion!
Reply 59
yawn
Don't you agree though that Christ's Church cannot be subject to the whims of modern society but must remain true to His teachings?

Christ never taught against contraception though.
and thank you (about the logo)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending