The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

TSR Catholic Society

The Catholic Church is the world’s largest Christian Church with more than one billion members worldwide. Led by the Pope, currently Francis, it preaches the gospel of Jesus Christ, administers the Seven Sacraments of Christ and practises charity.

The Student Room’s Catholic Society is to provide a voice and gathering place for the Catholic users of TSR.

St. Isidore of Seville, Pray for Us.

Deo Gratias

Please note that this thread is NOT an 'Ask A Catholic Thread', but simply a place for Catholics to congregate. Thank you.
General rule of thumb: Be nice. Due to recent events, I will state that this includes no telling others that they are not 'proper' Catholics. Non Catholics are welcome, as long as they have a genuine interest. Trolls will be reported and removed.

To join the group, please click http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=96 and the 'join soc' link.

And remember, in the wise words of Julian of Norwich:

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

January

1st - Mary, Mother of God
6th - Epiphany (celebrated in the UK on the Sunday between the 2nd and the 8th)
24th - St Francis de Sales
25th - Conversion of St Paul
28th - St Thomas Aquinas
31st - St John Bosco

Whilst January often feels like a much quieter month, with the excitement of Christmas Day being in the past, it is worth remembering that it is still Christmastide until the Sunday following Epiphany, when we celebrate the feast of the Baptism of our Lord.
Just as in the secular world, people make resolutions at the beginning of a new year, perhaps this month, you too could look at your spiritual life. What do you need to change? What should you stop or start doing? Whilst Lent is still a good way off, it's never too early to make the changes to our spiritual life that He wants us to.
As the world around us talks of new beginnings, this may be a good month to take some time out to just sit and listen. Try and remember that what you want may not be what He wants for you.

Jeremiah 1:5
"Before I formed you in the womb
I knew you;
Before you came to birth
I consecrated you;
I appointed you as prophet to the nations."

January begins with Christmastide, and then becomes ferial (green) following the Sunday after Epiphany.

February

March

1st - St. David
17th - St. Patrick
19th - St. Joseph
25th - The Annunciation

March is generally taken up with the season of Lent, for which see below. It has a few important feasts of its own too, particularly for two of the patron saints of Britain. The Annunciation is also a wonderful feast, being a brief reminder of Christmas in the midsts of our preparation for Lent.

Lent

Shrove Tuesday - 4th March
Ash Wednesday - 5th March
Palm Sunday - 13th April
Maundy Thursday - 16th April
Good Friday - 17th April

Recently I have heard people referring to Lent as Jesus Boot Camp, which is an idea I rather like. Lent is a time of preparation. A time to ready and purify ourselves to join in the celebration at Easter time. The ideals are fasting, prayer and almsgiving. See if you can manage something from each this Lent.

Easter

November

December

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm technically a catholic, but dont believe in god...

Do I qualify?
I was baptised in the church but have rejected the church's teaching, and am now agnostic.
Reply 3
this society has gone WRONG! :eek:
Yep count me in. Altar boy, RC primary school, Irishness, do I qualify?
TomInPortsmouth
Yep count me in. Altar boy, RC primary school, Irishness, do I qualify?

Drinking Guiness on pub golf doesn't make you Irish.
Blackadder
Oh, my God - my ear muffs have fallen down.

He moves them up, and tries to stretch them round his ears.

Would you like a pair? It's getting rather cold.

Lady Whiteadder

No thank you - cold is God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics
Reply 7
hey up!

Can I join? :biggrin:

What's everyone's problem with Catholics? We rock!
Reply 8
I'm catholic, can I join?
Reply 9
Fluent in Lies
Blackadder
Oh, my God - my ear muffs have fallen down.

He moves them up, and tries to stretch them round his ears.

Would you like a pair? It's getting rather cold.

Lady Whiteadder

No thank you - cold is God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics

:love:
Me plz
I went out with an Irish Catholic. You can take the girl out of Cork ....
Reply 12
shinytoy
yay! talk about issues of morality, social issues and questions of faith and belief. all Catholics welcome!

much love and God bless xx

so...is it a catholic society or a roman catholic society?
technik
I thought the Romans were extinct?
technik

the catholic church IS Roman Catholic. The 'Rome' prefix refers to the Pope ruling the church from the vatican in rome, as well as historically distinguishing catholicism from the eastern orthodox church which broke away from the papal influence a long time ago. Wow I actually impressed myself. Must have learnt something from those RS lessons at my RC convent school :wink: Good little catholic girl me
Reply 15
i thought that was ther eason it was Roman catholic because of the pope and all. That i didnt really listen in RE. The teacher was evil. I went to a catolic primary secondry and now college. I should know that really.
Reply 16
hello

please can we stop the bad-taste jokes about RCs

this thread is for RC catholics, not just any catholics (eg anglicanism; anglocatholicism) as the fundamentals of the religion are different. by all means start up another thread for general catholics

are there any non-irish RCs? im latina
Reply 17
So I can still post here?

And those jokes are quite funny...
Reply 18
i didnt think there was any difference between catholics and Roman catholicss. realises should have paid more attention at school. as for non irish i dont know. Im an irish catholic, so i dont think ther are that many.
Reply 19
the word 'catholic' means universal. in the creed in the CofE religion, the church is 'one holy catholic...'.

however the CofE split from RC cos of Henry8th wanting a divorece and the Pope said no.

CofE cannot take communiion in RC church, due to the belief in TRANSUBSTANTIATION not present in the CofE faith

Quick Reply

Latest