UCL Pharmacy 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by beansontoast92
So anyone firmed UCL then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just finished first year...just was wandering if anyone on here has firmed or not haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just finished first year...just was wandering if anyone on here has firmed or not haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firmed ucl ! How are you finding it there X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ayodamola.a
Firmed ucl ! How are you finding it there X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh great well done!
Ngl It's a massive step up from a-levels but tbh even tho it is tough, first year really isn't too bad. It doesn't count towards your degree so getting 40% is enough, the real work starts from second year onwards!
Lemme kno if u have any other qs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you guys get ranked in the year?
Original post by BigW1098
Do you guys get ranked in the year?

No we don't! Just a pass or fail and the mark we got

Posted from TSR Mobile
No we don't! Just a pass or fail and the mark we got

Posted from TSR Mobile

Calm. How hard is it to get a 1st? Whats the social scene like? I noticed that at ucl for pharmacy theres way more girls than boys?
Did u live in halls? Hope this year went well for ya!
Calm. How hard is it to get a 1st? Whats the social scene like? I noticed that at ucl for pharmacy theres way more girls than boys?

Ahh nothing's easy, you need to acc put in the effort to get a first! I worked my arse off this year and still didn't get a first, but passed the year anyway and first year is calm in comparison to others since it doesn't count, you need 40% (50 in some modules), which is defo doable. Most people just started revising a month before exams and passed (wouldn't advise that obs).
I stayed at Ifor Evans...social scene in London is good, I didn't go out too often, probs once every few weeks but is sickk!
Yep you're right there are defo more girls than guys. They told us the ratio in induction week, it's something like 2:1 or 3:1 I think!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only thing I don't like about UCL SOP is that it's isolated from main campus, but I guess that's kind of minor...and also most of the people on my course commute from home so can't really do much if ygm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh nothing's easy, you need to acc put in the effort to get a first! I worked my arse off this year and still didn't get a first, but passed the year anyway and first year is calm in comparison to others since it doesn't count, you need 40% (50 in some modules), which is defo doable. Most people just started revising a month before exams and passed (wouldn't advise that obs).
I stayed at Ifor Evans...social scene in London is good, I didn't go out too often, probs once every few weeks but is sickk!
Yep you're right there are defo more girls than guys. They told us the ratio in induction week, it's something like 2:1 or 3:1 I think!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true I agree, defo will make sure I start working properly from day one, though it may take awhile gap year has made me lazy to say the least. That is calm at least you passed, I'm assuming your aiming for a 1st next year? What were the hard topics you had to do this year? Also I personally am abysmally poor at practicals how many labs does one do at LSOP on a regularly basis? I feel like i'm gonna be breaking bare burretes over the 4 year duration of the course. Do you lot not get past papers etc? Yeah going out less frequently but enjoying sounds far more enjoyable.

I may stay in accommodation depends on what one I get allocated probably won't seeing as I live in London already. That's good I'm happy the social scene is good.
(edited 7 years ago)
The only thing I don't like about UCL SOP is that it's isolated from main campus, but I guess that's kind of minor...and also most of the people on my course commute from home so can't really do much if ygm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that is the only thing that bugs me about LSOP looks like it has more of a college vibe than a Uni one and the building is frass. Yeah I get you still. Is it worth joining any societies etc or are they all dead?

Are older years alright? Because I need someones notes loool
That's true I agree, defo will make sure I start working properly from day one, though it may take awhile gap year has made me lazy to say the least. That is calm at least you passed, I'm assuming your aiming for a 1st next year? What were the hard topics you had to do this year? Also I personally am abysmally poor at practicals how many labs does one do at LSOP on a regularly basis? I feel like i'm gonna be breaking bare burretes over the 4 year duration of the course. Do you lot not get past papers etc? Yeah going out less frequently but enjoying sounds far more enjoyable.

I may stay in accommodation depends on what one I get allocated probably won't seeing as I live in London already. That's good I'm happy the social scene is good.

There were quite a few people in my year taking gap years...trust me, you won't be the only one! Yep gonna try and get the best I can. First year is pretty chilled compared to the others so defo try and enjoy it, esp since it doesn't really count.
I found some topics hard in each of the modules, so it just depends on what you like tbh, but everyone seemed to have a mutual hate for the biology module, just because of the amount of content that needs to be learnt, it gets harder in second year since there are 2 bio modules. You'll do practical at least once a week starting from the 2nd/3rd week I think. But again they're quite calm, the Chem practical write ups marks don't count, but the bio ones are assessed properly and make up part of your coursework marks. You also have a coursework exam towards the end of the year (around April time) which tests you on the Chem/bio practicals you've had throughout the year.
You don't get many past papers, you only get the previous years and the specimen papers, so only 2 in total for each exam...but I asked one of my friends in second year and they gave the ones from the previous year, the first past paper you can get is 2014, since the course changed then, so just get in touch with an older year and hopefully they should be able to hook you up! Or give me a shout and I'll send u them.
Fair enough! You might get accommodation you never know, I know quite a few people from London that lived in accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that is the only thing that bugs me about LSOP looks like it has more of a college vibe than a Uni one and the building is frass. Yeah I get you still. Is it worth joining any societies etc or are they all dead?

Are older years alright? Because I need someones notes loool

True but the good thing is that it gives you a sense of 'togetherness'..that sounds cheesy but trust me its really good as you get to kno the older years since you see the same people pretty much every day.
There's a lot of societies, you'll find out at the freshers fair! I joined quite a few for the freebies 😉...but only actually paid membership for one of them I think.
Haha fair enough....tbh they give you decent notes for Chem and bio, I didn't do additional notes for them and as for the others, I just studied from the lecture handouts, and that's what everyone else did, if you wanna use a textbook, just borrow from the library there's no need in buying any imo. It entirely up to you tho, depends how you study. If you wanna summarise the notes into your own set, you can do, but honestly what they give you is sufficient! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
There were quite a few people in my year taking gap years...trust me, you won't be the only one! Yep gonna try and get the best I can. First year is pretty chilled compared to the others so defo try and enjoy it, esp since it doesn't really count.
I found some topics hard in each of the modules, so it just depends on what you like tbh, but everyone seemed to have a mutual hate for the biology module, just because of the amount of content that needs to be learnt, it gets harder in second year since there are 2 bio modules. You'll do practical at least once a week starting from the 2nd/3rd week I think. But again they're quite calm, the Chem practical write ups marks don't count, but the bio ones are assessed properly and make up part of your coursework marks. You also have a coursework exam towards the end of the year (around April time) which tests you on the Chem/bio practicals you've had throughout the year.
You don't get many past papers, you only get the previous years and the specimen papers, so only 2 in total for each exam...but I asked one of my friends in second year and they gave the ones from the previous year, the first past paper you can get is 2014, since the course changed then, so just get in touch with an older year and hopefully they should be able to hook you up! Or give me a shout and I'll send u them.
Fair enough! You might get accommodation you never know, I know quite a few people from London that lived in accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that's reassuring still find it kind of weird that I will be studying with people a year younger than me, and my cohort will be the year above, not that there is anything wrong with that. That's live im sure you can smack it just bang out revision next year from an early stage. Yeah defo I plan on enjoying Uni as much as possible as soon as the start date rolls in. Its weird I oddly miss being education, not tryna sound like a neek but I've done no work/revision for a whole year so I'm glad that aspect of life is coming back. Oh calm, basically its to each their own. I don't like analytical techniques eg NMR etc so I'll probs end up pulling my hair out if I come across in first year. The whole Pharmacokinetics etc thing sounds mad interesting to learn. Oddly quite like Bio, seeing as they've cut out all the rubbish you do at a-level eg plants should be slightly less dull.

That's live guess I can clumsily continue to smash conical flasks like its happy days. Oh that's not too bad as long as they give you some revision material for the coursework exams and I'm assuming know about validity errors etc sounds okay.

Damn so every year you get hardly any past papers? Surely teachers/lecturers bait out a couple topics here and there that are gonna come up? Yeah defo makes sense to be on good terms with older years. Thanks alot really appreciate that, if you don't mind could PM/inbox me if possible?

Update regarding accommodation got bumped didn't get any of my provisional preferences got some mad expensive one for £240, not worth it, seeing as I'd have to live off crackers to afford rent. Probs will just crash at mates halls whenever I go out etc.
True but the good thing is that it gives you a sense of 'togetherness'..that sounds cheesy but trust me its really good as you get to kno the older years since you see the same people pretty much every day.
There's a lot of societies, you'll find out at the freshers fair! I joined quite a few for the freebies 😉...but only actually paid membership for one of them I think.
Haha fair enough....tbh they give you decent notes for Chem and bio, I didn't do additional notes for them and as for the others, I just studied from the lecture handouts, and that's what everyone else did, if you wanna use a textbook, just borrow from the library there's no need in buying any imo. It entirely up to you tho, depends how you study. If you wanna summarise the notes into your own set, you can do, but honestly what they give you is sufficient! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I understand completely, I'd much rather be part of something like that than something isolated. Sounds like it will be pretty chill talking to people so that's a plus. So im assuming you guys don't interact much with other schools/colleges that are part of UCL?

LOOOL, yeah I'll be sure to rinse out all of the freebies. Any particular societies you recommend joining? Oh that's fine then I will just add to those notes or condense them down as the year goes on. Not a fan of buying textbooks probs will go library and get them in Ebook form or just torrent whatever ones aren't available. How are the food places in Bloomsbury? Any other advice you think is important? Who's lectures are worth bunking?

I have to study a language with my Mpharm degree cos I flopped my GCSE language. Know of anyone that had to do pharmacy and then go to the language school? I suspect my timetable will be pretty dead.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well that's reassuring still find it kind of weird that I will be studying with people a year younger than me, and my cohort will be the year above, not that there is anything wrong with that. That's live im sure you can smack it just bang out revision next year from an early stage. Yeah defo I plan on enjoying Uni as much as possible as soon as the start date rolls in. Its weird I oddly miss being education, not tryna sound like a neek but I've done no work/revision for a whole year so I'm glad that aspect of life is coming back. Oh calm, basically its to each their own. I don't like analytical techniques eg NMR etc so I'll probs end up pulling my hair out if I come across in first year. The whole Pharmacokinetics etc thing sounds mad interesting to learn. Oddly quite like Bio, seeing as they've cut out all the rubbish you do at a-level eg plants should be slightly less dull.

That's live guess I can clumsily continue to smash conical flasks like its happy days. Oh that's not too bad as long as they give you some revision material for the coursework exams and I'm assuming know about validity errors etc sounds okay.

Damn so every year you get hardly any past papers? Surely teachers/lecturers bait out a couple topics here and there that are gonna come up? Yeah defo makes sense to be on good terms with older years. Thanks alot really appreciate that, if you don't mind could PM/inbox me if possible?

Update regarding accommodation got bumped didn't get any of my provisional preferences got some mad expensive one for £240, not worth it, seeing as I'd have to live off crackers to afford rent. Probs will just crash at mates halls whenever I go out etc.

h I know what you mean, It weirdly feels good when you have a daily routine.
Dw there's no nmr in first year, you have 2 pharmacokinetics lecture towards the end of the year, but they're introductory and it'll get more detailed as you progress through the years, as with everything else. A lot of bio and Chem in first year is alevel stuff so the amount of new material isn't that much, but it's just slightly moe detailed.

Dw they'll tell you about the coursework tests and how to study for them throughout the year. But you pretty much only need to know the practical write ups you do for the labs and go to the revision sessions and you'll be fine.

Lol nah they don't give you any hints but looking at past papers, you can tell that theres at least one question from each topic so kind of need to know everything. But for each exam, they ask you 12 questions and you only have to answer 10 so can leave any 2 out. Haha what accommodation did u get?
About the past papers, PM me next week sometime as I'm not at home atm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I understand completely, I'd much rather be part of something like that than something isolated. Sounds like it will be pretty chill talking to people so that's a plus. So im assuming you guys don't interact much with other schools/colleges that are part of UCL?

LOOOL, yeah I'll be sure to rinse out all of the freebies. Any particular societies you recommend joining? Oh that's fine then I will just add to those notes or condense them down as the year goes on. Not a fan of buying textbooks probs will go library and get them in Ebook form or just torrent whatever ones aren't available. How are the food places in Bloomsbury? Any other advice you think is important? Who's lectures are worth bunking?

I have to study a language with my Mpharm degree cos I flopped my GCSE language. Know of anyone that had to do pharmacy and then go to the language school? I suspect my timetable will be pretty dead.

Tbh that's an advantage of living in halls, you get meet people from different courses! Ahh I'm not sure about recommending societies..the only one I joined is the Hindu and Indian soc so not too sure about the rest, but there's bare societies so you have plenty of choice!

The Brunswick is a shopping/ food area, and it literally across the road from SOP, it's got sainsburys, nandos, wait rose, GBK, Starbucks and some other places and kings cross is not too far so maccies, subway and burger king are 10-15 mins walking distance, so pretty much sorted for lunch.

Not gonna recommend bunking all lectures but it's calm cos nearly all the lectures are recorded, so it's really helpful when you come to revise for exams

Oh reallyy, no I don't know anyone having to do an additional language course sorry! First year time table is pretty dead, you have 9am starts every day😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tbh that's an advantage of living in halls, you get meet people from different courses! Ahh I'm not sure about recommending societies..the only one I joined is the Hindu and Indian soc so not too sure about the rest, but there's bare societies so you have plenty of choice!

The Brunswick is a shopping/ food area, and it literally across the road from SOP, it's got sainsburys, nandos, wait rose, GBK, Starbucks and some other places and kings cross is not too far so maccies, subway and burger king are 10-15 mins walking distance, so pretty much sorted for lunch.

Not gonna recommend bunking all lectures but it's calm cos nearly all the lectures are recorded, so it's really helpful when you come to revise for exams

Oh reallyy, no I don't know anyone having to do an additional language course sorry! First year time table is pretty dead, you have 9am starts every day😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your inbox is full my g
Your inbox is full my g

Should be alright now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 139
Does anyone knows the start date for pharmacy this year? (2016-2017) and any important events that we are supposed to go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending