The Student Room Group

'Wigger Day' at school

Source

Black Student Sues Minnesota High School for Celebrating 'Wigger Day'

A black student is suing her former Minnesota high school for celebrating "Wednesday Wigger Day," where white students pretended to be black during homecoming week, The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported Wednesday.

Does anyone else just find this to be funny rather then offensive?

Scroll to see replies

It's hilarious. And the best bit is, the blacks can't complain because they think black people behave in a specific way.
Reply 2
That is totally inappropriate. Schools are supposed to be there to educate,not to encourage negative stereotypical attitudes.
Original post by Jimbo1234
Source

Does anyone else just find this to be funny rather then offensive?

Things generally aren't funny unless they're offensive to some degree.
Reply 4
Original post by pepsihot
That is totally inappropriate. Schools are supposed to be there to educate,not to encourage negative stereotypical attitudes.

While I agree with what this guy has said, I still thought the whole concept was hilarious from a personal standpoint.
Reply 5
Lol, it's funny, but.... It's wrong, as far as I'm concerned you cannot "act" any race, but having a day where people pretend to be the stereotypes is pretty inappropriate for a school. And slightly racist. I'm black btw.
I think the alternative name 'wangsta' is the only thing that could have made this more amusing.
Reply 7
Original post by Genocidal
While I agree with what this guy has said, I still thought the whole concept was hilarious from a personal standpoint.

Fair enough,everyone has a different sense of humor,but there are some things that you may find funny which you don't go out publicising if you get what I mean. There is a time an place for everything.
Reply 8
Original post by pepsihot

But stereotypes are very real and accurate. Look at the EU stereotypes; Irish are lazy drunks, the Spanish and Portuguese sleep through everything, the Greeks are lazy, the Italians are corrupt, and the Germans are efficient. Now look at their economies.

Original post by Mangaka
Lol, it's funny, but.... It's wrong, as far as I'm concerned you cannot "act" any race, but having a day where people pretend to be the stereotypes is pretty inappropriate for a school. And slightly racist. I'm black btw.

Firstly, it is not racist. If you had a 'chav' day which is the same, it can not be racists, it is just a bit of fun. Also, if a black school had a 'white day' and came in with badminton rackets and polo shirts, I would cry laughing.
Also, it is just a bit of fun. I doubt one day each year is going ot make kids racists.

Original post by Kiss
It's funny as an idea in conversation, "LOLOLOL, hey lets make a wigger day!!", but when it actually happens it's not because the school actually went through with it. Kind of disgusting how stereotypical they can be.

Look above. Stereotypes exist and are accurate so the best thing to do is make light humour out of it.
:lolwut: not sure if serious
Reply 10
Firstly, it is not racist. If you had a 'chav' day which is the same, it can not be racists, it is just a bit of fun. Also, if a black school had a 'white day' and came in with badminton rackets and polo shirts, I would cry laughing.
Also, it is just a bit of fun. I doubt one day each year is going ot make kids racists.

I'm pretty sure "chav" isn't a race Lol. Sure it is a bit of fun, but it is also isolating the 3% of the students there that are black. It won't make racist kids... But it is still racist to have a day where everyone pretends to be black by practising all of the traits of a stereotypical black guy.
Reply 11
Original post by Mangaka
I'm pretty sure "chav" isn't a race Lol. Sure it is a bit of fun, but it is also isolating the 3% of the students there that are black. It won't make racist kids... But it is still racist to have a day where everyone pretends to be black by practising all of the traits of a stereotypical black guy.

But it is not racist. It would only be racist if it somehow made out that blacks were inferior due to their skin colour.
Also, I have never heard blacks called chavs before, so I would say it is a term only used for white gutter trash.
Reply 12
...and somebody gets offended. What a surprise.
Disgusting behaviour from an educational authority.
Reply 14
Original post by whyumadtho
Disgusting behaviour from an educational authority.

Why?
It is merely a bit of fun.
Reply 15
But it is not racist. It would only be racist if it somehow made out that blacks were inferior due to their skin colour.
Also, I have never heard blacks called chavs before, so I would say it is a term only used for white gutter trash.

rac·ism

noun /ˈrāˌsizəm/ 

The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races

Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief
- a program to combat racism

It's racist, and regardless it is offensive and therefore shouldn't be allowed in a school. So according to you the people, people on this forum seem to hate so much are people that act black....
Why?
It is merely a bit of fun.

To 'celebrate' a behavioural trait under the pretence that it is attached inextricably to 'black' people propagates a stereotype that an educational authority should aim to reduce. If they said 'African-American Culture Day', or something similar, I would have no problem; however, I find the notion of 'acting like a black person' offensive, because there is not an archetypal set of behavioural traits for 'black' people, as ethnicity is inconsequential to a person's psychological attributes.

I also suspect that these so called 'celebrations' extend to nothing more than authority-sanctioned mockery and denigration of the minority groups of the school.

Do they have days for other cultures?
Reply 17
It's funny but only because of the stupidity of the organisers who thought that was a good idea!

I refuse to believe this actually happened.
Reply 18
Any excuse for KFC. Yummy.
Reply 19
Original post by Mangaka
rac·ism

noun /ˈrāˌsizəm/ 

The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races

Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief
- a program to combat racism

It's racist, and regardless it is offensive and therefore shouldn't be allowed in a school. So according to you the people, people on this forum seem to hate so much are people that act black....

Interesting that you'd quote the definition of racism only to misuse the term anyway. How on Earth can a day where everybody satirically acts in line with certain stereotypes imply racial superiority?

Also, the racial undertones of the term "wigger" are debatable to begin with. In this day and age, the only people who really use the word "******" anymore tend to be the people who lead the stereotypical, predominantly black "growing up in da hood" lifestyke. Outside of that subculture, the word has fallen out of use, including amongst the black community. If you're following my train of thought, you should be able to see why "wigger" isn't the literal bastardisation of the word it sounds like at face value.

Only one thing annoys me as much as a racist, and that's somebody who sees racism where there is but an acknowledgement that ethnic groups exist.

Latest

Trending

Trending