The Student Room Group

Economics at Leeds

I loved leeds and the course Economics and Finance, but just wondering if Leeds is a well respected uni, with good graduate prospects?or would it better to go to somewhere like Bristol/Nottingham/Exeter? as leeds is quite low down in rankings on 'complete university guide'? I want to go to a top uni (excluding LSE/Oxbridge/London unis) with an amazing social life. PLEASE REPLY FOR POSITIVE RATING:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Which universities are you considering and for what courses?

Leeds is generally a good university, and the Economics programme there, while not the strongest, certainly isn't the weakest. I dare say the biggest drawback with Leeds is the lack of quantitative modules on offer. I would definitely recommend all of Bristol, Exeter and Nottingham above Leeds.

That said, it also depends entirely on your career aspirations. If it's simply to go into audit in the Big 4, then university doesn't matter in the least, and nor really do modules chosen.
Reply 2
Original post by .ACS.
Which universities are you considering and for what courses?

Leeds is generally a good university, and the Economics programme there, while not the strongest, certainly isn't the weakest. I dare say the biggest drawback with Leeds is the lack of quantitative modules on offer. I would definitely recommend all of Bristol, Exeter and Nottingham above Leeds.

That said, it also depends entirely on your career aspirations. If it's simply to go into audit in the Big 4, then university doesn't matter in the least, and nor really do modules chosen.

I want to do economics and finance at maybe leeds/bristol/nottingham.. dont think i'll apply to oxbridge! For the more quantitative ones though is it not better to have further maths? I do maths A Level and would say I'm ok at it, not amazing though! For a career I would like to work for the big 4 with a big salary, perhaps asset management?Not too sure, which unis would you say are the best for graduate prospects for economics, excluding LSE/Oxbridge?
If you want to work for the big 4 then don't worry about quantitative modules. Those only really come in if you are applying to do an MSc and/or looking at going on to a research degree as you will need to have covered a wide base of maths. It will also help if you want to train as an actuary. But for other fields, especially 95% of the financial services sector, the employers won't bother about how quantitative your degree is as the career will probably never involve any maths above A level.
Reply 4
are you telling me that the university is non so important to work in the Big 4?
Original post by guidino
are you telling me that the university is non so important to work in the Big 4?

it doesn't matter but in practice most people there are from better known unis as they have high A level grade filters to be able to apply to their grad schemes
Reply 6
Original post by MagicNMedicine
it doesn't matter but in practice most people there are from better known unis as they have high A level grade filters to be able to apply to their grad schemes

How would you say Leeds compares to say Bristol/Nottingham?as it is fairly low on league tables!and i want to go to a top 10 uni in terms of graduate prospects

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending