The Student Room Group

19 and never drunk alcohol - don't know what to drink...

Scroll to see replies

Wkds and all the rest of them do taste nice but they are a rip off for how much alcohol is in them. Get a bottle of vodka and then mix it with what ever you want, I think fruit juices are better than fizzy drinks.
Reply 21
Original post by Dusty12
Just respond "Surprise me!" and see whether you like whatever drink they give you.:tongue:

Couldnt of worded it better... just relax and enjoy whatever is put in your hand. if you dont like it, dont have it again :smile:
Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by rose.3445
I'd have a vodka and coke- maybe start of with only 5-10 centimetres of vodka in the glass to get used to it and then increase that if you want- its strong but you can water it down with the coke. or cider is quite good to start off with. - also they're likely to have this stuff at the party

dont worry about not having done in the past, you'll get used to it and maybe only have 2 glasses to start of with so you're just tipsy

10cm!! Vodka isn't meant to be the mixer...:tongue:
Original post by inadilemma
So... I'm 19 and I've never drunk alcohol. I mean, I've had champagne and a bit of wine (neither of which I really care for) and I had some Pimms at a friend's house but I've never drunk 'proper' alcohol as it were... In fact... I know this is going to sound really lame... I've never been to a party before. Well, I went to one and it wasn't really that great so that doesn't count.

I went through this stage of being a little bit stuck-up and point blank refused to go to parties and drink alcohol because I thought it was stupid. I've never been clubbing either. I went to prom but I didn't drink even though I was 18 at the time.

So, here's the thing. Whenever someone asks me if I want a drink I don't know what to have... I've never tasted anything alcoholic before. I don't know what anything is like. So I just end up telling people I don't drink to avoid embarrassing myself because, let's face it, it's a little bit sad. I went to a party at someone's house yesterday and everyone was drinking, even those under 18. I didn't drink of course. But I'm also rather reserved in any case so I didn't really do much dancing. A friend pulled me up a couple of times to dance and I did it but people know I'm not hugely confident around people, even my friends and the people at the party were people I've only been friends with for a little while.

My question is, what should I drink? I honestly feel like a little girl when I'm at a party - I'm so reserved and I get so nervous when it comes to drinking alcohol because I've never done it before... What would people suggest for a first drink? I didn't want to ask my friends because I was just too embarrassed.

At least you get invited to things! So you must be fairly popular!

Why did you used to think drinking was stupid? Not everyone gets paralytic you know.

Well, it does no harm to try a few drinks at home first (not before you go out) but just a random evening or weekend and see what you like.

I wouldn't try wine as you'd have to buy the bottle to taste it. And cheap ones aren't generally very nice.

Buy some mixers of fruity cocktails or something- M&S do mini cans of cosmopolitan, bloody mary, harvey wallbanger or just things like vodka and tonic or rum and coke.

I quite like Archers Aqua alcohopop- which is just like Archers and lemonade.
Okay I probably should be doing my English Coursework right now ( my teacher wants it emailed in like 2 hours) but because I went through this stage too I'm going to stop and answer your question :smile:

Firstly what to drink. There are multiple things to take into consideration. How drunk do you want to get? Are you willing to risk getting a hangover? Do you like the taste of the drink? Do you look cool drinking it?

Firstly I can't imagine your immune system will have built up a huge resistance to alcohol yet if you never drink, so unless you are 6 ft + and built like an outdoor toilet cubicle, you will probably get drunk quite easily. In that case don't drink anything with more than 10% Vol, things like strong wine, spirits, and liquor.

Hangovers are caused by dehydration of the membrane that attaches the brain to the skull. Anything over 7% alcohol will give you a hangover, so drinking lots of beer can get you drunk without a hangover. As its your first, I'd go with beer, but if you turn out to be a heavyweight then beer will make you need to piss faster than you get drunk.

As for taste, most people don't really like beer because its an aquired taste. Wine tastes alright, and spirits/liquor tastes vile. Taste wise you want to go with a designer drink, such as Lambrini , Vodka coke ( which isn't that strong because coke is mixed in) or WKD

However some people take the piss if you only drink things like WKD, so try it, but make sure you drink other stuff too.

My advice to you would be put yourself out there and try different stuff, or your situation will only get worse. As long as you aren't ridiculously stupid the worst that can happen is a hangover. If in doubt, drink beer and you will avoid both hangovers and people taking the piss. Eventually you will find your favourite drink.

Oh, and dancing comes much easier when drunk.

Good luck to you.
You don't have to drink you know? But if you want to, everyone likes cocktails! :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by kbountra
10cm!! Vodka isn't meant to be the mixer...:tongue:

haha...im not good with measurements!! maybe i meant inches...dont know haha
Reply 28
I guess it depends on the situation, but smirnoff ice is a nice easy thing to order if your nervous! You don't need to worry about picking flavours like you do with VKs and stuff. The first time I went to order something myself from a bar I had an archers and lemonade (which is really nice btw) and the bar tender asked how much lemonade I wanted adding and I had no idea! I told him to stop really early on and it tasted vile! So ordering something in a bottle that you don't have to think about is a good idea. Also, its really weak alcohol content.
Reply 29
It's not stupid not to drink, I'm not 18 yet and I can definitely say I wish on a number of occasions that I didn't drink. I think if you're apprehensive about trying alcohol just experiment little and often (but not too often of course); people won't think it's weird that you don't drink or haven't tried much 'hard liquor' before. I usually drink vodka, but not for the taste, if you are going for taste, I suggest you start with something like Bailey's, smooth and warming taste. Jack Daniels is a 'Marmite' taste, I personally love JD, coke on the rocks, I think you could jsut familiarise your self with a few liquors and also a few softer drinks like Carling, or Smirnoff Ice. Hope it helps x

10 inches is even worse :biggrin:
Reply 31
So... I'm 19 and I've never drunk alcohol. I mean, I've had champagne and a bit of wine (neither of which I really care for) and I had some Pimms at a friend's house but I've never drunk 'proper' alcohol as it were... In fact... I know this is going to sound really lame... I've never been to a party before. Well, I went to one and it wasn't really that great so that doesn't count.

I went through this stage of being a little bit stuck-up and point blank refused to go to parties and drink alcohol because I thought it was stupid. I've never been clubbing either. I went to prom but I didn't drink even though I was 18 at the time.

So, here's the thing. Whenever someone asks me if I want a drink I don't know what to have... I've never tasted anything alcoholic before. I don't know what anything is like. So I just end up telling people I don't drink to avoid embarrassing myself because, let's face it, it's a little bit sad. I went to a party at someone's house yesterday and everyone was drinking, even those under 18. I didn't drink of course. But I'm also rather reserved in any case so I didn't really do much dancing. A friend pulled me up a couple of times to dance and I did it but people know I'm not hugely confident around people, even my friends and the people at the party were people I've only been friends with for a little while.

My question is, what should I drink? I honestly feel like a little girl when I'm at a party - I'm so reserved and I get so nervous when it comes to drinking alcohol because I've never done it before... What would people suggest for a first drink? I didn't want to ask my friends because I was just too embarrassed.

Abbeydale 'Moonshine'. Straw-coloured pale ale from Sheffield's Abbeydale Brewery. A more orgasmic alcoholic beverage there is not.

Edit: there are also various single malt whiskies that are similarly nice (Bowmore and Highland Park being personal favourites; I'd imagine that there are plenty of whiskies even nicer than these, but which significantly exceed my budget of about £25). However, if you've never had alcohol before, I'd imagine proper alcohol (i.e. the polar opposite of WKD etc) tastes like rat piss to you...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
Southern Comfort is pretty much my best friend :colone:
Start with Smirnoff Ice (I got it confused for lemonade when I had my first cup) or WKD etc.
Then have lager or cider.
Before you get on to the hard liquor and cocktails.
But dont feel pressured only drink what you want (there is no need to get hammered everytime you drink with mates ) and like.
Key is to ENJOY

of vodka? O.O a normal ruler is 12 inches if that helps :tongue:
Reply 35
Drinking is for morons.
Reply 36
As others have said I'd start with WKD/Bacardi Breezer/Smirnoff Ice. They are all quite sweet and really don't taste that much like alcohol, I think the orange BB tastes a bit like orangeade!

Also cocktails are a good one to try, pick something fairly fruity, me and my friends always used to drink sex on the beach which has orange and cranberry juice in so you normally can't taste much alcohol at all. Or a woo woo, tutti frutti etc always go down well :smile:

Sourz are nice as well, me and my friends often ask for a sourz + lemonade, fav is the cherry one, so tastes like cherryade!
Reply 37
You might want to try mixing something at first, like Malibu and Coke or Archers and Lemonade... this is what I did when I started drinking, gets you used to the flavour but isn't too strong. Remember though that it's a lot more alcoholic than it tastes!
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
I'd drink orange juice.

Why'd you want to drink alcohol again? Is it because everybody else is doing it?

I hate when people do this, nobody cares that you don't drink; she wasn't asking for your opinion on drinking in general just what drinks she should start off with

Prior to yesterday, I was in your position (except hadn't even tasted wine either), but last night tried a Guinness. Even though it's the only alcohol I've ever drunk, I wouldn't recommend it. I'd say you have to have an accquired taste to actually like it - not a great idea for a first drink, but after all it was st paddy's :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest