The Student Room Group

Nuffield science bursary

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by chignesh10
Can i send an application to the main nuffield one and the NIMR one? Did u do the nuffield science bursary? Where did u apply?

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not entirely sure, i don't think so but it's probably best if you contact the nuffield or NIMR people to find out. I applied through the main nuffield one and got a research placement at the Royal Free :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by chemkid
Sorry for the late reply. I'm not entirely sure, i don't think so but it's probably best if you contact the nuffield or NIMR people to find out. I applied through the main nuffield one and got a research placement at the Royal Free :smile:

Wait did u say u were an applicant this year? UCAS
Reply 22
Wait did u say u were an applicant this year? UCAS

Yeah applying for medicine this year :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by chemkid
Yeah applying for medicine this year :smile:

Nice , which unis!?
Reply 24
Nice , which unis!?

UCL, Nottingham, Birmingham and King's :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by chemkid
UCL, Nottingham, Birmingham and King's :biggrin:

any offers!?
Reply 26
any offers!?

Not yet! hope i get one soon though... or an interview at least :/
Reply 27
Original post by chemkid
Not yet! hope i get one soon though... or an interview at least :/

I hope you do too, good luck mate..!
Reply 28
I hope you do too, good luck mate..!

Thanks :smile: Hope you do well and get where you want to go when you apply!
Reply 29
Original post by chemkid
Thanks :smile: Hope you do well and get where you want to go when you apply!

Thanks!
Reply 30
am I too late in sending off my bursary application off as my teacher is not in college for 2 more days to write a reference??
Reply 31
Original post by matmad94
am I too late in sending off my bursary application off as my teacher is not in college for 2 more days to write a reference??

deadline is april i think
Reply 32
I'm thinking of applying, does the 'four consecutive weeks' apply to weekends as well? Because it sounds petty but I really want to be able to go to reading this year
Reply 33
would anyone happen to know how many hours per day the courses usually go on for?
and if they're on weekends?
anybody!?
Reply 34
Original post by Anz
would anyone happen to know how many hours per day the courses usually go on for?
and if they're on weekends?
anybody!?

Most of them are 9 to 5, and you will almost definitely get weekends off! It can depend on the placements though -- if they have wildly different shift patterns, you might be expected to work 8 to 4 instead.
Reply 35
Original post by Darwinian
I did it last year if anyone's got any questions :smile:

Hi,

Just wondering on the application form when it comes to the part about 'why we deserve to have the bursary' what is the best thing to say? because I get the impression its almost like writing a small personal statement and therefore it should be written in that style? or am i over thinking it and should simply state why I find Maths intresting?

Thanks
Reply 36
Original post by monam94
Hi,

Just wondering on the application form when it comes to the part about 'why we deserve to have the bursary' what is the best thing to say? because I get the impression its almost like writing a small personal statement and therefore it should be written in that style? or am i over thinking it and should simply state why I find Maths intresting?

Thanks

I wrote mine like a personal statement, but with a definite focus on why I found biology interesting, and what extracurriculars I'd done to prove that I wasn't just applying for the sake of it.

You could talk about a particular area of maths you like, or any things you do aid your understanding, and possibly your future career goals. Focus on how the bursary would benefit you in the long term.

Basically, just try to show your interest without over thinking it!
Reply 37
Original post by Darwinian
I wrote mine like a personal statement, but with a definite focus on why I found biology interesting, and what extracurriculars I'd done to prove that I wasn't just applying for the sake of it.

You could talk about a particular area of maths you like, or any things you do aid your understanding, and possibly your future career goals. Focus on how the bursary would benefit you in the long term.

Basically, just try to show your interest without over thinking it!

Cool, thanks for the advice :biggrin:
Reply 38
This may sound stupid. But on the application form you are required to list your qualifications. I have 7A*, 5As, B and an E in short course PE. On things like this is it obligatory to list all of my qualifications (ie. including the E in PE)? or Does it not matter if i miss it out. I think it may hinder my opportunity. Thanks very much :smile:
I am a bit confused with the Nuffield science bursary, and was wondering if anyone could help me.
I understand that they try to find you a placement, but if I want to organise it by myself, how do I go about doing it?

P.S. I have just 'registered my interest' recently and I am waiting for a reply, presumably with an application form or something.

Quick Reply

Latest