The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gallium
according to louie, wide stance has the same quad activation as narrow stance.....thus wide is better due to more muscle activation.

Hmm.

That depends how he said it though. Is it low-bar and wide vs. narrow OR low-bar wide vs. high-bar narrow?

If I do oly-style narrow and break at the knees then you feel it WAY more in your quads. I don't really feel my quads when I normally squat although of course they are being used.

Plus, looking at Olympic lifters most of them have crazy sized quads.
Original post by Michael XYZ
Hmm.

That depends how he said it though. Is it low-bar and wide vs. narrow OR low-bar wide vs. high-bar narrow?

If I do oly-style narrow and break at the knees then you feel it WAY more in your quads. I don't really feel my quads when I normally squat although of course they are being used.

Plus, looking at Olympic lifters most of them have crazy sized quads.

hmm fair point, i squat high bar semi-wide atm....i break at the hips though.
i only feel the squat in my hamstrings if i consciously spread the floor
Remember oly lifters do a ****load of front squats as well.
Very good point. ^
Might seem like an obvious question but what should I do if I have pain in my left shoulder; possible rotator cuff tear? Should I just skip all bench and overhead press workouts for a while?
LOL at scream and everyone turning round.
Just watched it again. Lol, yes, pin point exact second that everyone turns.
Good job son.

Inb4 smack makes half squat jokes.

Original post by Michael XYZ
Thanks brah.

You guys seen these around? I chuckled when I saw it yesterday.

Reply 9829
3 weeks into SL5x5 now I feel comfortable with all the lifts except rows. How important is rowing each rep from the ground?

Mehdi advises rowing each rep from the ground but he's pretty short so it makes it easier for him I guess at 6ft and with, what I believe are, quite inflexible hamstrings I'm finding it hard to row each rep from the ground.

I've started stretching my hamstrings so hopefully they'll loosen up and it'll be easier to row from the ground but does it really matter that much?
Good squat Michael!...how tall are you?
Just seen 5ft 10
Reply 9832
Original post by bax121
3 weeks into SL5x5 now I feel comfortable with all the lifts except rows. How important is rowing each rep from the ground?

Mehdi advises rowing each rep from the ground but he's pretty short so it makes it easier for him I guess at 6ft and with, what I believe are, quite inflexible hamstrings I'm finding it hard to row each rep from the ground.

I've started stretching my hamstrings so hopefully they'll loosen up and it'll be easier to row from the ground but does it really matter that much?

Stretch and you should be fine. I'm similar to you, 6ft and naturally very inflexible, but I've managed to improve to the point where I can do them.
hell of a scream lol

nice one
Anyone got a good max rep converter? Ie one that could convert a 5 rep max effort into what weight it would be for 20.
They don't usually extend to 20. For 1rm sometimes I use wendlers formula which I believe is:

Weight + (weight x reps x 3.33%)

Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero
Anyone got a good max rep converter? Ie one that could convert a 5 rep max effort into what weight it would be for 20.
Hmm shame. If I squat 5x85kg about what would you predict for 20 rep squat?
Around 60kg. Why do you want to do 20 rep squats?
Original post by redbuthotter
Around 60kg. Why do you want to do 20 rep squats?

Why wouldn't you?, 20 rep squats are awesome
Why does Zyzz get so ****ridden everywhere. I'm not annoyed by it just perplexed by it more than anything else...

Latest