The Student Room Group

What are the ACTUAL (side) effects of smoking cannabis?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ben_LiveYourDreams

You argued that skunk was not genetically engineered, when in some cases it is.

No it really isn't.
(edited 12 years ago)
It can make you question life sometimes, also lately i've experianced a couple of panic attacks I think they were at least I felt paranoid or heart palpatations but whilst I love feeling relaxed at the time, I find the next day i find it hard to think fast and seem fairly withdrawn from uni or work etc I duno it's hard to explain sometimes :/ also i get lazy so lie in alot.... miss uni which is annoying cos i quite like lectures... find them interesting but when i smoke regualary i just can't be bothered to get up lol. Also, as with other drugs (I have taken mdma, cocaine, methedrone, ket) weed is cheap in comparison but still, all adds up and become skint if you're not careful, that brings me on to eating aload of fatty foods too, which isn't great for you're skin.
Evidence: Smoke weed daily for past year or so

also i find it increases my sex drive but I find it harder to talk to girls as in I lose my confidence if im just stoned lol but this does not happen if im drunk or buzzing off other drugs...
i love cannabis
Reply 63
Original post by n00
No it really isn't.

I think maybe the issue is here is that people have different ideas of what genetic engineering is. It isn't simply splicing genes in a lab, it also constitutes selective in breeding and selectice cross pollination. Skunk was originally formed this way to give 20 times the amount of THC. I havent actually checked how the other forms were created but I would not be surprised if gene splicing did occur as illegal drugs are no small business. These people DO have fairly advanced labs.

Also just to add you can't supply evidence then disrefute it when you realise it argues againsst your point. Things done work that way.
Reply 64
Original post by Antiaris
it also constitutes selective in breeding and selectice cross pollination.

No it really doesn't.

Skunk was originally formed this way to give 20 times the amount of THC.

20 times what?

Also just to add you can't supply evidence then disrefute it when you realise it argues againsst your point. Things done work that way.

:rofl: i dont really think thats necessary.
Original post by chrislpp
Met plenty of people dependant on it that just lay about smoking it denying they have a problem, and I've met quite a few droners in my time for comparison. People come reliant on it and considering there are no laws or regulations surrounding drugs, they turn people into this dirty little scummy gremlins that either steal, do whatever they can get away with to benefit themself and their 'habit'....also become horrifically unreliable and basically end up living a horrible life still under the impression that they can stop anytime they want. Such a waste, then there are dumbasses that were dumb before and after weed, so go figure. That is drugs in general, cannabis is no exception just because it is 'just a plant'.

Plenty end up like this. Then again some don't, but I'll be honest, I have never met an honest, pleasant, trustworthy or long term likable person that uses Class A or even Class C substances, their real passion is the habit or addiction and everyone else is just an accessory be that cocaine or weed or even alcohol.

That's the truth kids, deal with it. Met chicks that ended up dealing for their ''boyfriends'' at university, if you were to look at the relationship it was basically slave labour and she gave him sex in return for a supply of high grade gange, no ****ing joke. Saw bruises on her recently, make your own decisions. Still thinks she is in a 'relationship' and he would probably agree. Good old working class family in the making there. The only friends I know that they hang out with are people that take the drugs they are dealing, you can bet your ass they don't leave them alone with the stash alone.

Inb4 hurr durr its not addictive.

Smoke myself, can get through an 1/8th in a week and feel like **** for a month after, then again a heavy night of alcohol can alter my mood for the following weeks and it affects my studies greatly.

I only pickup about 3 times a year now. But I know I know, there is some stoner going to put down the facts I've seen because they are living a lavish lifestyle in a massive mansion running a FTSE company and smoked 3g every day...

I've met plenty of people that don't become like lazy and demotivated that have experiences drugs, and even more or less suffered with addiction.

Ultimately every individual has a choice, and the choice comes down to is this habit more important then the rest of their lives. People with no lives yet that addiction become them.

Thats why you don't hear about successful stoners in the media, because of the stigma attached to the addictions.

Paul McCartney's net worth is £750 million, and he quit smoking pot feb this year aged 69.

I also think, because of his pro legaliosation attitude, Richard Branson has been/is a user, or has been exposed to a substantial users who have had achievement.

And in all fairness, like most people who have been heavily exposed to the culture, I have some people go down very dark paths, including prison, or heroin addiction. But they had the same choices as the successful people, but they chose to let their use define them.
Reply 67
Original post by Ben_LiveYourDreams
I've met plenty of people that don't become like lazy and demotivated that have experiences drugs, and even more or less suffered with addiction.

Ultimately every individual has a choice, and the choice comes down to is this habit more important then the rest of their lives. People with no lives yet that addiction become them.

Thats why you don't hear about successful stoners in the media, because of the stigma attached to the addictions.

Paul McCartney's net worth is £750 million, and he quit smoking pot feb this year aged 69.

I also think, because of his pro legaliosation attitude, Richard Branson has been/is a user, or has been exposed to a substantial users who have had achievement.

And in all fairness, like most people who have been heavily exposed to the culture, I have some people go down very dark paths, including prison, or heroin addiction. But they had the same choices as the successful people, but they chose to let their use define them.

For every McCarntney and Branson though, there are thousands that just turn to it out of boredom and have no ambition, and just wind up poorer as a result.

We have no knowledge of the extent of those 2 usages, we both know they want it legalized, so they will never say how it ever hindered them, or how they may have been more successul without it.

It sure as hell doesn't make me smarter, a few joints at uni made me sluggish and the topics at those points I have no clue about and still trying to get my head around them.

I've seen drugs, money and alcohol do things to people and it is always the same story. I avoid people like that like the plague now, not worth my time at all.
I smoke on occasion (no more than once a month, and never in exam times), sometimes recreationally, sometimes as pain management. Short term side effects for me? Talking about how I shall run the country and how awesome it will be. If I roll too much in a spliff it gives me headaches, so I guess that is a side effect. Also time loss is a side effect, suddenly the simplest tasks take longer and distracting stuff is a lot more distracting...
Reply 69
Well it could be a gateway to other more serious drugs, even if you take one more new drug after trying weed that would be classed as a gateway. But from someone whos taken a lot of weed, I would say try and enjoy life without it, I think you might see more than when you use it.
Reply 71

I do apologise, my definition of genetic engineering was wrong. Skunk was created by the cross pollination and genetic selection of different substrates of marujana to give a bredd that gave 10 times the THC hit.
Reply 72
Perfect thread for my a2 French oral topic 'je suis pour la légalisation du cannabis' which translates as 'I am for the legalisation of cannabis', obviously I have ideas for it already but I was wondering if you guys wanna help me out and offer more ideas to make my debate even stronger?
Reply 73
that gave 10 times the THC hit.

Of a small marsupial?
No no no, I'm telling you that it's not a hallucinogenic :lol:
You don't get true hallucinations with weed, it just doesn't happen. Fact. I don't know what you were smoking, but if it was causing true hallucinations then either someone's put something into your bud or you're thinking of another drug (or maybe taking another drug by mistake through no fault of your own).

With cannabis you get a slightly altered sense of perception, time, and space, but that's it. It's not exactly acid.

Throwing up may occur if your blood pressure drops too much, though you certainly shouldn't have thrown up plenty of times. If you ever feel nauseous after smoking cannabis then lie down for a few minutes and you'll be as right as rain in no time.
Again, I'd wager someone's been tampering with your bud if it's been causing you to throw up a lot. It's wise to only ever buy drugs from people that you trust :tongue:
side effects?
Psychosis.
Does the fact that it slows the rate of certain tumour progression (mostly breast cancer) count as a side effect?
Being a boring douche who can't stop talking about the fact that you smoke cannabis.

It's not interesting. No one cares. Shut up.

Quick Reply

Latest