The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dgeorge
Gonna have to disagree. I think we have other batting options - particularly someone like Chanderpaul, who can anchor the batting. Right now, Bravo's not really in form

I guess thats true, but Bravo is very important in your line up. You seem to have some good youngsters and i hope they do well for WI cricket and International cricket as a whole
Original post by razmazterz
As for the Indian team I want to see some changes by bringing some youngster's in such as Rohit Sharma(look promising) and Chetweshar Pujara! It will be intresting which spinners they take against England:hmmmm: because Ashwin looks lethal(in home conditions) but Harbhajan has experience:confused:

I think i would prefer to see Rahane in the team rather that Rohit Sharma, and also i would like the selectors to pick the team on the form of the players from the New Zealand series we have before that. I'm sure we would play 2 spinners so there is probably a chance for Harbhajan to come back in the team.
Original post by shyamshah
I think i would prefer to see Rahane in the team rather that Rohit Sharma, and also i would like the selectors to pick the team on the form of the players from the New Zealand series we have before that. I'm sure we would play 2 spinners so there is probably a chance for Harbhajan to come back in the team.

If we drop VVS we can put Rahane and Rohit Sharma. We also have Badrinath,Pujara and Tiwary all looking promising. As for the second spinner, it would be a tough call between Bhajji and Ojha.
Original post by dgeorge
I'm West Indian

:smile:

Not to mention I have had the great pleasure of having spoken to several cricketing legends in preparation for a debate I had in secondary school

Chris Gayle wasn't picked because he had to iron out some issues with the Board. This has now been rectified.

Personally, despite him being a fantastic player, I don't seem him adding much to the team. He's been on the team for 10 years while the West Indies turned in their worst performances. Not to mention the fact that he has been a disruptive force in the team. If he doesn't play for the WI again, I won't be sorry

Really:redface:?! Which cricketers did you get to speak to ? Very lucky:smile:

Chris Gayle is a destructive batsmen.In 2010 his 333 against Sri Lanka at Galle was lethal. His average in test is not bad. He would give WI an agressive start which might help the Windies.

Disruptive force:eek2:. He looks to be a happy go lucky cricketer.

What about Sarwan and Samuels? They are great test players.
Despite not having a star lineup. WI are doing great against Australia. Chanderpual closing on another test hundread. Love to see WI give a fight against the Aussies.Good Knock by the captain. Aussies getting frustated:L

You have Roach and Edwards combo, looks to be a good pace attack.

Gayle has a huge ego and this disrupts the dressing room. It's no surprise that the Windies have improved since he's been out of the team.

The same thing happened with Flintoff. Excellent cricketeer, but his dominating ego affected the English dressing room. Again, once he left England has gone from strength to strength.
Really:redface:?! Which cricketers did you get to speak to ? Very lucky:smile:

Chris Gayle is a destructive batsmen.In 2010 his 333 against Sri Lanka at Galle was lethal. His average in test is not bad. He would give WI an agressive start which might help the Windies.

What about Sarwan and Samuels? They are great test players.
Despite not having a star lineup. WI are doing great against Australia. Chanderpual closing on another test hundread. Love to see WI give a fight against the Aussies.Good Knock by the captain. Aussies getting frustated:L

You have Roach and Edwards combo, looks to be a good pace attack.

There's more to a cricketer than scores. Despite him having a good average and several high scores, West Indies have gone through one of their worst spells of losing while he was in the team - so obviously he didn't help that much! We also have 2-3 young, promising openers who I think can do as good a job.

Sarwan is a good test player, I hope he gets into the side. Samuels is a bit more iffy, as he is not very consistent, despite being a fantastic all round player since he has some handy spin.

Yes the bowling attack is coming along, we also have Rampual who is a good pace option. However, I won't count the Aussies out as yet.

I spoke to (Sir) Viv Richards, and Andy Roberts
If we drop VVS we can put Rahane and Rohit Sharma. We also have Badrinath,Pujara and Tiwary all looking promising. As for the second spinner, it would be a tough call between Bhajji and Ojha.

The selectors have something against Badrinath so I highly doubt he will play, they are also not giving Tiwary enough of a chance to show his talent and Rohit has wasted so many opportunities. VVS might even retire by that time, you never know. Pujara looks very good and i hope they give him a chance.
Who's better Hafeez or Dilshan in International cricket overall?
Original post by shyamshah
Who's better Hafeez or Dilshan in International cricket overall?

Hafeez.
Also, Dilshan is a prick and not a very likeable person.
Cries like a bitch at everything.
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
Hafeez.
Also, Dilshan is a prick and not a very likeable person.
Cries like a bitch at everything.

Yeah, i would have said Hafeez also. Also Hafeez contributes more to the team in my opinion
Windies were doing such a great job until now.
Two quick wickets by Hilfenhaus :frown:
Not looking good for Windies 42 overs of day's play remaining! They look out of sorts with their batting:frown:
Really hope they can recover, even a draw would be good result for them now!
2 quality batsmen on the crease Kirk Edwards and Darren Bravo, both need to score big!
Original post by Captain Crash
Gayle has a huge ego and this disrupts the dressing room. It's no surprise that the Windies have improved since he's been out of the team.

The same thing happened with Flintoff. Excellent cricketeer, but his dominating ego affected the English dressing room. Again, once he left England has gone from strength to strength.

I always viewed him(Chris Gayle) as calm cool cricketer. I really hope Windies keep on improving. You have to accept the fact that each time Gayle comes on crease most bowlers tend to get intimdated,(same effect when Sir Richards batted for the Windies) just shows, the class of performer he is. I really hope he changes his attidude and makes a comeback to the Windies team.

Yeah I knew about Flintoff and his ego, I was never aware about Chris Gayle.
I always viewed him(Chris Gayle) as calm cool cricketer. I really hope Windies keep on improving. You have to accept the fact that each time Gayle comes on crease most bowlers tend to get intimdated,(same effect when Sir Richards batted for the Windies) just shows, the class of performer he is. I really hope he changes his attidude and makes a comeback to the Windies team.

Yeah I knew about Flintoff and his ego, I was never aware about Chris Gayle.

The problem is, this intimidation factor is nowhere CLOSE to translating into wins as Richards managed to do. West Indies have not done worse with him in the team, and most would argue that they are now doing better now that he's out
Windies were doing such a great job until now.
Two quick wickets by Hilfenhaus :frown:
Not looking good for Windies 42 overs of day's play remaining! They look out of sorts with their batting:frown:
Really hope they can recover, even a draw would be good result for them now!
2 quality batsmen on the crease Kirk Edwards and Darren Bravo, both need to score big!

Collapso cricket. WI have been well known to turn winning positions into losing ones.

However, they are still improving, they just need to learn how to play 5 days of good, consistent cricket
Reply 1275

As much as i'd love to see a PPL, the chances of it happening are slim :frown: I doubt any international players would be willing to participate and the current situation in Pakistan makes it seem unlikely.

I would keep VVS for the home season, he is still very good in indian conditions. Nearly got a double century in his previous innings if it wasn't for Dhoni's early declaration. We have an extra batting slot free now that Dravid has retired, so I would put Kohli at 3 and Pujara/Sharma at 6. Also I would drop Gambhir and replace him with Rahane.

In terms of the bowling, Ojha is easily our best spinner. The second spinner will be between Ashwin and Bhajji. Pace attack should be Zaheer and Irfan, with Yadav as the sub. Ishant seriously needs to be dropped, it really infuriates me that he has a free pass into the test team regardless how how badly he performs.
Original post by like a boss
I would keep VVS for the home season, he is still very good in indian conditions. Nearly got a double century in his previous innings if it wasn't for Dhoni's early declaration. We have an extra batting slot free now that Dravid has retired, so I would put Kohli at 3 and Pujara/Sharma at 6. Also I would drop Gambhir and replace him with Rahane.

In terms of the bowling, Ojha is easily our best spinner. The second spinner will be between Ashwin and Bhajji. Pace attack should be Zaheer and Irfan, with Yadav as the sub. Ishant seriously needs to be dropped, it really infuriates me that he has a free pass into the test team regardless how how badly he performs.

Why keep any of the older players? Yes, Laxman looked good against WI, still, surely India need to solely focus on the future prospects of the team.

I think, for our home tour it should be:

Gambhir, Rahane/Pujara, Kohli, Rohit, Raina, Dhoni, Ashwin/Bhajji,Ojha, Yadav, Zak.
Original post by like a boss

You need to give these youngsters the chance in test cricket. Specially when now all our test matches our at home, they will get some runs behind them and be confident when they go overseas. So I would definately drop VVS but keep Sachin.

I would never go with Irfan Pathan in my pace attack, in recent years he has dropped his pace and is not going to be in our future plans so might aswell introduce a new bowler(who is perfoming well in the domestic circuit).

I dont if you watched the England and Australia series, he bowls 2/3 balls in the over that rip past the batsmen then doesnt bowl well in the rest of the over, he often gives boundary balls(either misses length or line), he need to be more consistent and confident in himself.
Read this http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/548557.html
You need to give these youngsters the chance in test cricket. Specially when now all our test matches our at home, they will get some runs behind them and be confident when they go overseas. So I would definately drop VVS but keep Sachin.

I would never go with Irfan Pathan in my pace attack, in recent years he has dropped his pace and is not going to be in our future plans so might aswell introduce a new bowler(who is perfoming well in the domestic circuit).

I dont if you watched the England and Australia series, he bowls 2/3 balls in the over that rip past the batsmen then doesnt bowl well in the rest of the over, he often gives boundary balls(either misses length or line), he need to be more consistent and confident in himself.
Read this http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/548557.html

Irfan is only 27, he can still comfortably play test cricket for 5 years before he even thinks about retiring. As for Ishant, he is simply not bowling well enough considering he has had so many opportunities and attention. After the number the test matches he has played, you would expect a bowler to have ironed out any flaws and inconsistencies they may have.
When a bowler doesn't take wickets, they must be dropped. When Bhajji stopped taking wickets, he was dropped. When Munaf stopped taking wickets, he was dropped. So why does the same not apply to Ishant Sharma? He should be sent back to Ranji trophy or county cricket to prove himself before they let him back in the team.

Latest