The Student Room Group

Top 5 games of this generation so far

Scroll to see replies

Still waiting to be honest. Most of the new games this generation have been remakes/clones/sequels to the previous generation which had far better games. Gran Turismo 5 will be at the top for me, but mainly because everything else so far has been a massive disappointment.
Reply 141
1) LittleBigPlanet
2) Spore
3) Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion
4) Super Mario Galaxy 2
5) Call of Duty 4
Reply 142
1) Prince of Persia (all three parts):yep:
2) God of war (again, all 3 parts)
3) Heavy rain
4) Obscure: the aftermath
5) Tom Raider Legend
These, i guess, i could put as top five although honestly there are other really good games that also deserve to be on the list.
1. Mass Effect 2
2. Braid
3. Mario Galaxy
4. Gears of War
5. FIFA 10

Assassins Creed 2, may make the list, but still workig my way through it.
Age of Empires
Fifa
Call of Duty
Grand theft auto
Football Manager
1. Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
2. Oblivion (360)
3. Fallout 3 (360)
4. Halo 3 (360)
5. Gears of War (360)

6. Bioshock - not enough room but deserves a mention.

In that order.
Zelda OOT > everything ever.
Reply 147
Not sure about order but...

Mass Effect - Redefined and reimagined RPGs for me, the dialogue system was so fluent and the game was presented like a film which I found incredible.
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - The closest we've gotten to literally escaping the real world and enetring a fantasy.
BioShock - Blurring the lines between FPS and RPG, entertainment and art, and making us think about morality, philosophy and politics...
Braid/Misadventures of PB Winterbottom/World of Goo - Yes, I'm counting three as one, but for the same reason: They brought real creativity from simple gameplay mechanics, managing to look beautiful without groundbreaking graphics and gave pure gameplay without the dressed up bullcrap we see in most games today.
LittleBigPlanet - This too was ridiculously creative and the developers made it seem our game as much as theirs. Plus how cute is sackboy?! Hahaha.

Honourable mention is Gears of War 2 for Horde mode ^_^
1. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion + expansions
2. Grand Theft Auto 4 + Episodes
3. Forza Motorsport 3
4. Gears Of War 1/2
5. Modern Warfare 2 (excluding multiplayer)

Loads of games I still need to play though; Mass Effect, Bioshock, Alan Wake..

Never been a big Halo fan but I'm borrowing a PS3 to play Heavy Rain and MGS :smile:
cdsmith1990

5. Modern Warfare 2 (excluding multiplayer)

A six hour campaign puts it in your top 5?
badger-man
A six hour campaign puts it in your top 5?

I've played it through a few times, that and Spec Ops which kept me occupied for ages.. multiplayer used to be good too lol..
cdsmith1990
I've played it through a few times, that and Spec Ops which kept me occupied for ages.. multiplayer used to be good too lol..

Oh yeah, forgot about spec ops. Some of the spec ops levels were really fun actually.
I still like the MP, there are a few who still ruin it with noob tubes and camping but i tend to get quite lucky and seem to avoid the games they're in for the most part.
badger-man
Oh yeah, forgot about spec ops. Some of the spec ops levels were really fun actually.
I still like the MP, there are a few who still ruin it with noob tubes and camping but i tend to get quite lucky and seem to avoid the games they're in for the most part.

I tend to have more patience with Spec Ops, I play it co-op and we spent hours trying to do a couple of the levels on Veteran, then beat IW's times, then do knife-only.. I hope they keep it in Black Ops, or something similar at least.. like you said the campaign is usually quite short...
Reply 153
cdsmith1990
I tend to have more patience with Spec Ops, I play it co-op and we spent hours trying to do a couple of the levels on Veteran, then beat IW's times, then do knife-only.. I hope they keep it in Black Ops, or something similar at least.. like you said the campaign is usually quite short...

Lets face it, most people dont buy CoD for the campaign. Campaign iv played once, online im up to maybe 2000 games according to my leader boards?
Witchita
Lets face it, most people dont buy CoD for the campaign. Campaign iv played once, online im up to maybe 2000 games according to my leader boards?

Lucky for me then, I'm not 'most people'... :p:
cdsmith1990

Me and my brother blitzed through spec ops in a few days so we could both get the platinum trophy, and then just moved onto multiplayer. I haven't touched single player or spec ops since late november.
I'd also like to see spec ops in black ops but i don't whether treyarch will bother. They might be putting more effort into zombie mode or something.
Reply 156
Id much rather have a good zombie mode than a spec ops to be honest. I still play W@W for the zombies and nearly nothing else
Reply 157
All listings are for PC versions of the game. Consoles are *****, so I don't rate any games on them or the console versions.

Starcraft II
Assassins Creed II
CS: Source
COD: MW
WoW*

*I don't play it, but if it's not on your list then you're talking some seriously heavy ********. Yeah I know it's about 6 weeks off of making the '05 deadline but it should still be included.
I was reading these comments and i was like why is everyone mentioning the worst games in history and then it dawned upon me and i realised that this post was made in 2010 xD
How the hell have none of you guys said - Witcher 3

Its my favourite game ever!
Actually got me into reading al of the Witcher books and I hadn't read a book in yeaaaaaaars.

Quick Reply

Latest