The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
Pakistan's batting was full of mistakes, to be honest. Shafiq is a brilliant player, but even he was guilty of chasing runs and attempting to pick off the wide ones.

Plenty of Pakistan's order gave their wickets away, because they lacked the patience and grit and determination - not to mention concentration - regularly exhibited by Cook and Root.*
Original post by Enginerd.
Except for Misbah, Younus, Amir, Yasir, Shafiq, and Sarfraz... I'm not seeing anyone else justify their space in this test team. The opening partnership is the biggest challange for the PCB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Younus? Seriously!? As an experience batsman I was atleast hoping that he will surely be one of the leading run scorer in this test series.So far,his highest score was like 37 or 39 can't remember but below 40.Naseer Hussain is so true he Is jumping around the pitch and playing :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1482
Shafiq is definitely the batsman who would excite me most if I were a Pakistan fan.

*The issue with Younus seems to be a complete lack of confidence - but, as we've seen with many a player, it's extremely hard to recapture it. You need to play your way out of a rut.
I don't see lack of confidence in younus Khan.
Original post by Zayn is Bae
This post is cancer

Explain?
Original post by Mackay
Shafiq is definitely the batsman who would excite me most if I were a Pakistan fan.

*The issue with Younus seems to be a complete lack of confidence - but, as we've seen with many a player, it's extremely hard to recapture it. You need to play your way out of a rut.

There isn't lack of confidence. Younis doesn't have the reflexes and hand eye coordination to play in places like England anymore where the ball swings. Check out the innings below. That was in 2006 tour of England. In that video, he looks much better technically but now he is 10 years old and his technique is gone.

[video="youtube;uuagMZbgAtA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuagMZbgAtA[/video]
Reply 1486
Original post by Fnt1klo
I don't see lack of confidence in younus Khan.

perhaps not an unconfidence, but he's certainly uncomfortable at the crease.
Reply 1487
You know when Misbah and Younis retire, Pakistan will be like Sri Lanka. You just don't see the likes of Pakistan, Sri Lanka, West Indies producing world class test players like Root, Kohli, Smith, etc.
Reply 1488
So, we can officially label Ashwin an all-rounder then. Seven wickets and a ton, albeit against a poor West Indies outfit.

India won extremely comfortably -*by an innings and 92 runs - after Ashwin took the game away from a Windies side clearly set up to frustrate the visitors and get a draw.*

Ashwin, though, made 113 with the bat in India’s extremely fearsome total*566 for eight declared.

*Then, he absolutely tore through the lower Windies order in the second innings after failing to take a wicket in the first. Excellent stuff.
Time to play declaration bingo.

Drinks?
Lunch?

Actually, knowing Cook, it'll be tea.
Original post by The_K1NG
Explain?

"Aamir overrated, Wahab has nothing but pace"

You what?
Original post by Zayn is Bae
"Aamir overrated, Wahab has nothing but pace"

You what?

Amir is overrated. He has talent but no performances. Amir fans need to stop getting so defensive.

Wahab is all pace. All he does is bang the ball short. He has no ability to swing or seam the ball.
Reply 1492
Original post by rockrunride
Time to play declaration bingo.

Drinks?
Lunch?

Actually, knowing Cook, it'll be tea.

Surprisingly early!
Original post by Mackay
Surprisingly early!

Surprised me too. I think it's clear he wanted to give the bowlers a bit of early rest. Stokes clearly hadn't had enough :sigh:

Just need to wrap this up before stumps. Anderson's having a good old sledge I see.
Credit where credit is due, Pakistan have finally overtaken Joe Root

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
Credit where credit is due, Pakistan have finally overtaken Joe Root

Posted from TSR Mobile

But he has the last laugh :biggrin:

Seriously, No 3 with 254 and then reminds us he can bowl too.

This is the spinniest pitch ever seen in England.
What an absolutely ****ing fantastic performance that was
Reply 1497
I don't see England getting themselves in a hole by displaying those rash silly shots at Lord's again now. Ominous signs for Pakistan, who found their four man attack tiring at Old Trafford, and Yasir Shah completely neutered.

Cook, in the end, was vindicated for his decision. But I still feel he should have sent Pakistan in again. He had a chance to really ramp home the advantage and make the visitors' Test an even more miserable and comprehensive one, and he should have jumped at that chance in my opinion.

I'm excited for Edgbaston - not least because I have tickets - but i hope I get to see Stokes. His injury and the way he limped off was an ominous sign for England, who unfortunately, didn't come through the second Test unscathed.

Plenty of question marks still remain over the batting order, not least Hales, Vince and Ballance, but Woakes is heading back to his home turf and will be buoyed by his performance, with the seamers tearing through Pakistan today, with the visitors looking brittle.

Misbah now faces a huge task to rally his side, not least Masood, who now finds himself out to Anderson six times in six innings (of which Jimmy has played) without contributing anything meaningful to the scoreboard. There's bogey players, and then there's that.
I'm not overly ticked by Pakistan's performance in this Test - it was fully expected at some point in the series but least they got a Lord's Test win to start off. I don't envision them learning and adapting quickly so they will be prone to these batting performances filled with awful shot selection and no application or patience.

The seniors (Hafeez especially; Younus playing like this is one away tour too many) are struggling besides Misbah, and a lack of a credible all rounder hurts them when the opposition has a few in outstanding form. Starve Pakistan of runs and they struggle and panic. Don't blame Yasir, or Amir - former playing in foreign conditions in a relatively early international career and latter playing after five years out. Bowling plans have been poor compared to the sheer ruthlessness of England who have been efficient in their accuracy. Resounding comeback after the first Test.

Definitely need to bring in a right hander into the attack for Pakistan, no real variety there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pak need to drop YK and bring in a right arm fast bowler

Quick Reply

Latest