The Student Room Group

Why do women find the "ripped look" attractive?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eveiebaby
You can't face palm my taste in men. I always have gone for the same sort of build. I just like it.

I just think men who are slim look much better in their clothes and I'm attracted to gentleness and grace.

For some reason really muscle men just look oafish and clumsy to me. I appreciate that it takes a lot of work to achieve that level of chiselled-ness, but it just doesnt do anything to stir fire from within. It rather douses those loin flames for me :frown:

I'm well aware I don't prescribe to the super-macho ideal of male attractiveness, but variety is the spice of life.

There are cases in which taste prevails over natural instinct, that's why you can never be sure about these things. But generally and naturally, the ideal mate is not like this. We are talking generally :smile:
I personally like a bit of chub :tongue: :redface:
(emphasis on the bit though...)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 62
Dont be silly, Women dont like the ripped look. They like a mans butt:

stock-photo-detail-of-wallet-in-man-s-back-pocket-40330465.jpg

Particularly this part :colone:
Reply 63
Original post by Pen Island
I personally like a bit of chub :tongue: :redface:
(emphasis on the bit though...)

This.
Original post by neverlander¾
There are cases in which taste prevails over natural instinct, that's why you can never be sure about these things. But generally and naturally, the ideal mate is not like this. We are talking generally :smile:

Generally and Naturally? Cetainly not natural for me. I seriously dont get it. I do get the general thing though. Ok, I'll take on board what you say - I know the muscle look must be attractive to a decent number of women as it's forced down our throats through the media, billboards etc. I still find it clenchingly gross (did I just say that? Yes I did) though and certainly not my ideal mate for some strange reason.

I dont need some man to protect me and nor do I want one thanks, I can do the protecting thing myself. Why SOME women seem to want to assume the figure of a weak, pathetic, vulnerable person is beyond me. I'm not a whiny feminist, I actually love men, but I dont really understand traditional gender roles. *Kicks some serious ass*
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dark Horse
Exactly, the question is WHY? Why does the ripped guy's visible muscles make him so compelling to the ladies? :smile:

It's a subconscious recognition of a potential mate; one with the ability to serve as a protector who therefore makes her feel safe and more likely to bond with him, and one who is more likely to produce healthy offspring due to their superior muscular structure suggesting better genes.
Reply 66
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
It's a subconscious recognition of a potential mate; one with the ability to serve as a protector who therefore makes her feel safe and more likely to bond with him, and one who is more likely to produce healthy offspring due to their superior muscular structure suggesting better genes.

Excellent response, my friend. :smile:
Excellent response, my friend. :smile:

Thanks. I forgot to add the conscious side of the attraction though. Lots of women who see muscular, healthy men believe that they have more self respect, and that theyare willing to devote a large part of their life to achieving their long term goals - these are both things many women consciously find attractive.
Reply 68
Original post by sucess
us man we like tits and ass

women like ripped guys

its just nature

lol. Simply put, but I'm sure that not all women are attracted to six packs and ripped bodies.
Original post by McHumpy92
Classic example is on 'take me out' ..just before the round where the bloke turns the girls lights off the ugly ones turn their light off to save the humiliation. Hence all the crap on TSR such as 'I like skinny fat, short ugly guys because that is my preference '

Can you really find it impossible to believe that not everyone finds the same thing attractive - naturally or otherwise. I understand that there is a UK standard of beauty, but that does vary around the world.

I sometimes get shocked with the choices some of the men make on take me out but at the same time, I really didnt see it the way you did with the so called ugly chicks. It's a horribly superficial show. Some girls turn off their light for the way a man travels down the lift? I mean, it's pretty inane, shallow tv. I still watch it though.

I really dont understand one of my male friends' physical choice in women. I think personally his girlfriend is one of the most shapeless, unattractive girls in the world, but he genuinely seems to go for these types of women. He on the other hand is a bit of a sloaney, is really tight and toned from martial arts and blonde. Strange, but whatever floats your boat I guess.
(edited 12 years ago)
I guess it indicates strength and health. It's like, supposedly, blonde hair is attractive because it indicates good genes or something. It's probably all subconscious but if you think about it, having a strong partner will mean you have a body guard and healthy kids. :tongue:
Reply 71
Original post by SamanthaBrick
learn english

Actually - just because I am in the Netherlands doesn't mean I can't speak English fluently.

In fact, in your earlier post you missed out an apostrophe!
No idea to be honest.
My take is that it indicates man as a machine, seeing all the mechanics of his body so clearly, that he can live and eat and the fire of his metabolism just shreds it straight off again.

I dont particularly like ripped women, their fatty deposits are part of their beauty.
Original post by effofex
How would they actually find this out though? Many people will have more than one bank account, often in multiple countries. Also, most people won't just let people look at their balance.

I think with a lot of men it can be obvious. If they're wearing a tracksuit and naff gold chains and swearing their heads off about rubbish in a chavvy voice then they probably don't have very much money although that should probably be the least of a woman's concerns.

If a man is talking about how delightful his time at eton was and all about a yacht he's had his eye on then it's quite obvious that he's minted. There are obviously a lot of men who fall somewhere in the middle where it's a bit less obvious but it's usually quite easy to at least detect class and asking them what they do for a living is always a good start.
You shouldn't generalize, my friend. Just because accusations of generalization are sometimes true doesn't mean they always are. :wink:

I agreed based on my own observations, independent of what others accused.

x

Original post by littleone271
I think with a lot of men it can be obvious. If they're wearing a tracksuit and naff gold chains and swearing their heads off about rubbish in a chavvy voice then they probably don't have very much money although that should probably be the least of a woman's concerns.

If a man is talking about how delightful his time at eton was and all about a yacht he's had his eye on then it's quite obvious that he's minted. There are obviously a lot of men who fall somewhere in the middle where it's a bit less obvious but it's usually quite easy to at least detect class and asking them what they do for a living is always a good start.

Then again he could be chatting **** :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
It has occurred to me before that there seems to be no real reason why being "ripped" would indicate a high-status male. So why do women find it more attractive than, say, someone who looks a little flabby?

I'm just theorizing here, but back in ape days, surely the leader of the tribe would not go out to hunt? If lion culture is anything to go by, the rest of the tribe would go out to hunt and be under the orders of and wait upon the tribal leader. And common sense dictates that the hunter-gatherers would be more ripped than the tribal leader?

Perhaps that's it? The tribal leader can have the pick of the women and being ripped indicates a lower status and therefore more likely to be single?

Is it not obvious? :curious:
Someone who is ripped is most likely fitter and healthier, ergo a higher chance of surviving and raising strong children (all primal instincts). As for modern day lives, it shows good self control, ambition, and determination. All are good traits for a partner to posses.
Original post by Alux
Because being skinny makes you look beta and inferior which is unattractive.

this.

You have to be a shredded sikknt.
Original post by bax121
The fitter/healthier you look the healthier your offspring are likely to be making you a preferential mate.

This sounds most like a normal logical response.

Quick Reply

Latest