The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3660
Original post by Roobsa
Based on what spm said above, you'd need to average the speed that pro riders in the Tour de France pull. :tongue: So yeah, it would be quite an achievement!

spm was wrong about the distance though it's only 49 miles. So that's about a 17 mph average.
Reply 3661
Original post by Wave
spm was wrong about the distance though it's only 49 miles. So that's about a 17 mph average.

17 mph is average for a competent rider I'd say.
Reply 3662
Anyone know the best way to clean a bike helmet? The chin strap of mine has grown spots of mold while I was away over xmas. Seemed to be from my gloves, they went in the bin when I found them. Needed replacing anyway. :frown:

Went out on the old bike today seeing as the front wheel on the other one refuses to keep air inside it, the trials were one big quagmire, I'd forgotten how horrible the grating of muddy wheel rims and v-brakes is.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3663
Original post by dhr90
Anyone know the best way to clean a bike helmet? The chin strap of mine has grown spots of mold while I was away over xmas. Seemed to be from my gloves, they went in the bin when I found them. Needed replacing anyway. :frown:

Went out on the old bike today seeing as the front wheel on the other one refuses to keep air inside it, the trials were one big quagmire, I'd forgotten how horrible the grating of muddy wheel rims and v-brakes is.

Clean the entire helmet or just the chin strap? Hand wash it with soap I'd guess.
Reply 3664
Original post by Roobsa
Clean the entire helmet or just the chin strap? Hand wash it with soap I'd guess.

Looks to be just the strap that needs it, but I'll probably do the rest anyway just incase.
Reply 3665
Original post by Wave
Google maps be confused. It's 49 miles. I dunno whether that is measured from the centre of town or the edge but either way im gonna start timing from the edge because as you said london traffic is dreadful.

And yeah youre right it is pretty flat. True obvs not a tour de france type achievement but i hopefully an achievement that at least most people would say wow.

49?? i suppose it depends where you go to and yes that measurement was taken by typing in Cambridge to London without motorways.

I have spoke to a mate though who does this regularly he has given me some links to some routes:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/71351

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1468463

http://tiny.cc/mnKDN

He said he has done the first one and it was nice but it all depends where your going from and to and all three of those rides are around 62-63 miles so that's 21mph average which is about right for 3 hours for a competent trained rider on an average bike.
Reply 3666
Like a boss.

I have a St John Amubulance cycling sprint test coming up and I have to do 1km in 150seconds maxmimum which is 15mph..is it possible?? is 15mph normal road cycling speed?
Original post by Roobsa
Like a boss.

was that Geraint Thomas? Awesome riding, that narrow road looked a bitch to ride on.

Just got off my turbo, put in a nice 25 minute shift :cool:
Original post by levantine

Original post by levantine
I have a St John Amubulance cycling sprint test coming up and I have to do 1km in 150seconds maxmimum which is 15mph..is it possible?? is 15mph normal road cycling speed?

15mph is not a hard pace to reach on the bike, its quite easy tbh even for the untrained cyclist :smile: maybe just try medium gear and keep the cadence at 90-100 rpm.
Original post by Roobsa

Original post by Roobsa
Like a boss.

His legs must have been sore after that..... he kept it lit though :biggrin:
It doesn't look like I'll be doing much cycling while it's icy. I don't really want to fall off on these desolate, dark roads.
Also, from last week.

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Original post by Irishguy2K10
15mph is not a hard pace to reach on the bike, its quite easy tbh even for the untrained cyclist :smile: maybe just try medium gear and keep the cadence at 90-100 rpm.

I hear that, I can get about 14 mph. I used to be able to get 15 if I pushed it, but I haven't been riding properly for ages. I should be on 15 mph by March/ April.
Reply 3672
Original post by white_haired_wizard
was that Geraint Thomas? Awesome riding, that narrow road looked a bitch to ride on.

Just got off my turbo, put in a nice 25 minute shift :cool:

It was Kurt Asle Arvesen.
Original post by ocelotrevs

It doesn't look like I'll be doing much cycling while it's icy. I don't really want to fall off on these desolate, dark roads.
Also, from last week.

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

I hear that, I can get about 14 mph. I used to be able to get 15 if I pushed it, but I haven't been riding properly for ages. I should be on 15 mph by March/ April.

Just stick the bike in medium gear and keep the cadence up, you will be fine :smile:
Will have to invest in a new rear tyre - it's been shredded to pulp from using my turbo. My current tyre has bumps and all sorts of crap on it, rofl. Not road-worthy at present :colondollar:

Just to think in a couple more months the weather will be different and we'll be in spring or thereabouts, with the summer to come. French Open, Wimbledon, Olympics...

Very tempted to get my ass down to the Olympics and catch one of the free events, but I believe you have to pay for certain spectator sections even for outdoor events like the marathon and the road cycling events??
Reply 3675
Will have to invest in a new rear tyre - it's been shredded to pulp from using my turbo. My current tyre has bumps and all sorts of crap on it, rofl. Not road-worthy at present :colondollar:

Just to think in a couple more months the weather will be different and we'll be in spring or thereabouts, with the summer to come. French Open, Wimbledon, Olympics...

Very tempted to get my ass down to the Olympics and catch one of the free events, but I believe you have to pay for certain spectator sections even for outdoor events like the marathon and the road cycling events??

Box Hill will be the best place for the road event. I think the road race is the first Olympic event? Or at least one of the very early events.
Original post by Irishguy2K10
Just stick the bike in medium gear and keep the cadence up, you will be fine :smile:

Yeah, next time I go out I'm going to do some hard push sections and then medium.
I make sure I cycle back on the same route, so that every downhill has an up hill.

Yeah, next time I go out I'm going to do some hard push sections and then medium.
I make sure I cycle back on the same route, so that every downhill has an up hill.

Yea, the best form of training is hill training, you build more leg power that way and over a period of time you will notice a major improvement between your average speed and also your hill climbing ability. That all I do during the winter when I'm on the bike, is hill climb.... I cycle about 4 times a week..... each day I do about 35 miles, then on a Sunday do in and around 70 with the club :smile:
Cashed in a nice turbo session earlier this season. Drinking a couple of pints tonight so it'll sort of undo the damage later tonight :cool::colondollar:
Cashed in a nice turbo session earlier this season. Drinking a couple of pints tonight so it'll sort of undo the damage later tonight :cool::colondollar:

It's the biggest damage to my training sessions on Saturday. I have to consider giving up the booze on the Friday night all so I can feel good Saturday morning. So I do, and then Saturday morning it is hammering down. Nice. Repeat again next week.

3 punctures in my last 4 rides now. Conti GP4000 were supposed to be better. How they lie. Had to walk 2km with bike on my shoulder and wearing cleats yesterday morning. Not fun.

I seem to be having terrible luck with biking at the moment. After my buckled wheel and the gulley cover, endless punctures, coming off my bike because of a brave fox - I decided to try and not forget any spare inner tubes as my puncture repair kit from Evans is about as good as sticking a plaster on - useless. 6 patches later and still no good.

Anyhow, I bring in a spare inner tube with a 32mm valve. Oh yeah, forgot that I put on my R1's because my training wheel buckled, which is a slightly larger depth of circa 24mm. My hand pump can't pump up the inner-tube because 8mm left of valve was not big enough! Aghhh! Had to get the tube (AGAIN!) to nearest cycle shop and pay £6 for tube. Not impressed.

Evans are doing deals on inner-tubes at the moment by the way - 50% off. Typical - why now, why not yesterday?! or day before that. :angry:

Latest