The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It turned out to be odour of chrysanthemums, a short story that we've already learnt (wasnt expecting that) so the first part was a blast.

As for creative writing the picture you get is literally a motorway so either a description of that or a story about pollution neither of which were very interesting. How can you get stimulus from a black and white picture of a motorway?

Anyway I feel like I did decently with the story so I hope I get a good mark overall.
Original post by bjt1882
Yeah, I just did the paper this morning, hope it's the same one as yours though. Our extract was about a boy who makes glass buildings on a mound, then a lamppost turns into this man. He says his mini glass town needs people in it, he agrees, then he shrinks down his mum and everyone in his street and they become tiny and scuttle around on his mound. Really weird right? Section B was then either a description about a dark park, or a story about a game that went badly wrong. The questions weren't too hard, one was about structure, one about sentence length an I can't remember the other one :/ . It was fairly basic though, and judging from what you've put on here, you know enough about language to pass easily :smile: Good luck :smile: (I do AQA English Language)

I do AQA English Language also, but that wasn't the paper I did last week for our mock. We used the company PIXL who produced some effectively sample papers which we did. Our paper 1 had a very weird extract as well and the questions were exactly as the spec said: finding 4 points about..., a use of language question, a use of structure question, and a statement to analyse question. I much preferred paper 2, which the writing section was absolutely brilliant (for my knowledge) and the reading section was alright.
Thanks for the compliments about my knowledge :smile: I should be able to pass, it's more a matter of the grade and we haven't really covered the reading sections thoroughly yet as we just rushed through them for the last minute mocks but we have powerpoints which we can use to help us so once I've developed the skills, particularly in the reading section, I should be good :smile:
Original post by tyream
It turned out to be odour of chrysanthemums, a short story that we've already learnt (wasnt expecting that) so the first part was a blast.

As for creative writing the picture you get is literally a motorway so either a description of that or a story about pollution neither of which were very interesting. How can you get stimulus from a black and white picture of a motorway?

Anyway I feel like I did decently with the story so I hope I get a good mark overall.

The picture on my paper 1 was horrible! You could barely see it and eventually when you work out what it was then it's not even exciting...I went for the story which was slightly less bad. I definitely see what you mean about the motorway or pollution though. Sounds rather depressing instead of inspiring your creative side :frown:
I hope you get the mark you want :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
@MrMackyTv have you done paper 1 lang yet and could explain this better?

Unfortunately not. We have been going through poems and extracts in novels so far and been analysing it by language and structure. Today were were practicing our narrative writing and descriptive writing. All the statistics and numbers for paper 1 are in my book which is at school in my english teacher's cupboard, wish I could help more :frown:

Have you seen AQA post anything on this?
Original post by MrMackyTv
Unfortunately not. We have been going through poems and extracts in novels so far and been analysing it by language and structure. Today were were practicing our narrative writing and descriptive writing. All the statistics and numbers for paper 1 are in my book which is at school in my english teacher's cupboard, wish I could help more :frown:

Have you seen AQA post anything on this?

I wish our teacher had thought of that...doing it with a text you know better than 0 would be a good way of practising. I have lots of numbers if numbers are needed lol, and they're also on the AQA website
I haven't seen anything from AQA about what is structure and what is language but then again, I haven't looked very far for it :wink:
Original post by Lemur14
I wish our teacher had thought of that...doing it with a text you know better than 0 would be a good way of practising. I have lots of numbers if numbers are needed lol, and they're also on the AQA website
I haven't seen anything from AQA about what is structure and what is language but then again, I haven't looked very far for it :wink:

We haven't read through anything that we have seen before but the language is much easier to understand than in English Literature, it's less stressful but it comes with a lot of marks on language and structural analysis which is really annoying because you have to really concentrate and pay attention. English is basically over-analysing so even if you don't find something is worth analysing in the end it is and it earns you marks!

Well... I haven't looked at all! I will look when I have time and when I start to revise for English Language after my French speaking which is next week! :frown::afraid:
We haven't read through anything that we have seen before but the language is much easier to understand than in English Literature, it's less stressful but it comes with a lot of marks on language and structural analysis which is really annoying because you have to really concentrate and pay attention. English is basically over-analysing so even if you don't find something is worth analysing in the end it is and it earns you marks!

Well... I haven't looked at all! I will look when I have time and when I start to revise for English Language after my French speaking which is next week! :frown::afraid:

Oh I thought you meant you've been analysing your lit texts in lang lol. I know what you mean about analysing things that don't seem worth analysing. In My Last Duchess I decided one of my paragraphs was too short so I added a last minute additional analysis within one of my quotes. That analysis was picked out out of the whole class as being the most original, insightful idea that someone had had lol I'm sure I will say this many more times on Skype lol but Good Luck with your French :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm doing art, history, the three sciences, french, english, media, maths.
My interests include writing and photoshop.
I feel that the new gcse's were created so that more people would fail and join mcdonalds as the person who changed it probably was not happy with the burger he/she got.
I hate Year 10, I mean I have hated every single school year but that's because of social reasons, academically I used to be pretty well of but now I'm on a downhill slide.
Favourite subjects currently are art, english and probably history (but I dread the exams and the coursework).
My ultimate dream job would probably be a magazine editor or TV producer/director/script writer but I realise that's a little far fetched and unrealistic so my realistic dream job is something that pays well. It'll probably something in maths as even if I don't particularly enjoy it I'm fairly decent at it maybe something in marketing if I'm lucky.
Original post by Akshata
I'm doing art, history, the three sciences, french, english, media, maths.
My interests include writing and photoshop.
I feel that the new gcse's were created so that more people would fail and join mcdonalds as the person who changed it probably was not happy with the burger he/she got.
I hate Year 10, I mean I have hated every single school year but that's because of social reasons, academically I used to be pretty well of but now I'm on a downhill slide.
Favourite subjects currently are art, english and probably history (but I dread the exams and the coursework).
My ultimate dream job would probably be a magazine editor or TV producer/director/script writer but I realise that's a little far fetched and unrealistic so my realistic dream job is something that pays well. It'll probably something in maths as even if I don't particularly enjoy it I'm fairly decent at it maybe something in marketing if I'm lucky.

Welcome to the thread! :banana:

I like using Photoshop as well. I only know the basics though, are you really good at it?

(I think the new GCSEs were created for us because we are the guinea pigs in their little experiment, evil humans! :tongue:)
Hello everyone I'm Ed and I think this might be my first ever post I'm not sure but please be nice I am only a child

I'm taking triple science, history, music, R.S. and stats as my main options, French and German and of course the delightful new Englishes (?) and maths

Regarding the new maths and English exams, I'm not feeling as worried as I was at the start of the year. I (somehow) managed to get a 9 in both my English Lang and maths mocks, so by next year hopefully they'll be okay. I get lit back on Monday

I'm hoping to study chemistry, maths, further maths and french at AS, then I'll probably drop FM for second year. After that I'm thinking about a natural sciences degree and maybe going into research, and then teaching or lecturing later on but I'm not completely sure. If anyone wants any tips I have for the exams feel free to ask and good luck to everyone :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Original post by snikerio
Hello everyone I'm Ed and I think this might be my first ever post I'm not sure but please be nice I am only a child

I'm taking triple science, history, music, R.S. and stats as my main options, French and German and of course the delightful new Englishes (?) and maths

Regarding the new maths and English exams, I'm not feeling as worried as I was at the start of the year. I (somehow) managed to get a 9 in both my English Lang and maths mocks, so by next year hopefully they'll be okay. I get lit back on Monday

I'm hoping to study chemistry, maths, further maths and french at AS, then I'll probably drop FM for second year. After that I'm thinking about a natural sciences degree and maybe going into research, and then teaching or lecturing later on but I'm not completely sure. If anyone wants any tips I have for the exams feel free to ask and good luck to everyone :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Hi, Ed! Welcome to the thread :smile:
Snap with wanting to study chemistry and french at A Level!
Ayy they're two of my favourites. Have you done any coursework in French yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heyy has anyone done pixel maths papers? I heard they are really hard and have A-level topics in it.
Original post by haseeb798
Heyy has anyone done pixel maths papers? I heard they are really hard and have A-level topics in it.

I've done them. To be honest, its really not that hard. I only did revision for those papers the day before (but you shouldn't do that obviously). The end questions are tricky though. Have you done it yet?
Original post by bluepearl7
I've done them. To be honest, its really not that hard. I only did revision for those papers the day before (but you shouldn't do that obviously). The end questions are tricky though. Have you done it yet?

No I did my mock exams and got an A but my teacher said we are going to do pixel so will be revising for them now. Have you done all of them and if you have what grades have you got?
Ayy they're two of my favourites. Have you done any coursework in French yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing my French speaking 11th July, and I have also done my writing. I hate it sooooo much!!! :frown:
I'm doing my French speaking 11th July, and I have also done my writing. I hate it sooooo much!!! :frown:

Good luck!!! I'm sure you'll do brilliantly. If you want any tips look at my recent posts - there's only 4 or so it shouldn't be hard to find lol - because I posted some tips for speakings. Good luck again! I'm sure your writing was great too

Posted from TSR Mobile

We might have to only do 3 A-levels as all exams will be linear for us. You're allowed to take a 4th AS but there is no point as it won't count to anything. My favourite subjects are mainly Chemistry, maths and geography. I want to go into a science degree and hopefully medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haseeb798
We might have to only do 3 A-levels as all exams will be linear for us. You're allowed to take a 4th AS but there is no point as it won't count to anything. My favourite subjects are mainly Chemistry, maths and geography. I want to go into a science degree and hopefully medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh damn. My plan was to do the 6 units required for maths and further maths at AS, then only have 2 to cover at A2 but I guess that's not going to happen now. I still think I'll take a 4th AS as I'm very indecisive and it allows flexibility, but maybe it'll be an essay subject now.

Good luck with everything :smile::smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh damn. My plan was to do the 6 units required for maths and further maths at AS, then only have 2 to cover at A2 but I guess that's not going to happen now. I still think I'll take a 4th AS as I'm very indecisive and it allows flexibility, but maybe it'll be an essay subject now.

Good luck with everything :smile::smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck to you in the future. You will see me back when giving my mock exam results and predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest