The Student Room Group

History Soc.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Obiejess
Can anyone recommend any good documentaries on the history of medicine? Failing that, any good documentaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Answering the second question, Rich Hall's California Stars was an eye-opener for me, and very sharp.
Original post by SebCross
The Stuarts are also a very interesting dynasty.

The Stuarts blow the Tudors out of the water!

I did a module on the Tudors and Stuarts last semester but finished at the Glorious Revolution. Was pretty annoying seeing as we missed out Anne and the Acts of Union completely.
Original post by Angry Spartan

I did a module on the Tudors and Stuarts last semester but finished at the Glorious Revolution. Was pretty annoying seeing as we missed out Anne and the Acts of Union completely.

I don't know that much about the Stuarts but I beg to differ. The influence the Tudor Monarch had and more importantly, how their personalities led the way for the State to develop independently of the Monarch must be one of the most fascinating and significant turning points in English History imo.
Original post by KingStannis
I don't know that much about the Stuarts but I beg to differ. The influence the Tudor Monarch had and more importantly, how their personalities led the way for the State to develop independently of the Monarch must be one of the most fascinating and significant turning points in English History imo.

For me it's the struggle between monarchy and parliament during the Stuart period that I find brilliant. You've got absolutism, civil war, republicanism, restoration, revolution and the confirmation of parliamentary supremacy all in a space of 80 years!

It's just so great. :^_^:
For me it's the struggle between monarchy and parliament during the Stuart period that I find brilliant. You've got absolutism, civil war, republicanism, restoration, revolution and the confirmation of parliamentary supremacy all in a space of 80 years!

It's just so great. :^_^:

Yeah but none of that happens without The Reformation, Thomas Cromwell's revolution in government, The breaking of the Great Chain of being etc. The Parliament really starts to develop under the Tudors, thanks largely to Cromwell and the reformist Faction.

An interesting perspective, for sure. I agree that it's a very very interesting period. Where're you studying, if it's okay for me to ask?
Reply 1946
What books can you advise me on the Georgian and Victorian eras? focused on politics (Whigs/Tories; Liberals/Conservatives). Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending