The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy entry 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by Spence_LJS
Sorry - just thought of a few more questions, I hope you don't mind. Do you feel as if the UEA course gets straight into the SLT subjects from year one? It's just on other courses (Reading etc) you spend 1 or 2 years studying typical language development without much consideration of communication difficulties etc until later on.

Also, from 1 - 10 how would you rate the lecturers? :P engaging? enthusiastic? approachable?

No of course i dont mind. First subject block up until christmas is called foundations. so you study structure of language, you learn to transcirbe in phonetics, you learn about development in general, not just language so things like memory, you also learn about the clinical role of slt so who you would be working with, how referrals are made, assessments used etc. there is also some psychology and biology bits thrown in. This subject block sort of brings everyone up to speed.
Then after christmas you learn about disorders of fluency, this is what i enjoyed doing most. As for the lecturers for this block, Mary Kingston comes to lecture and she works on the Lidcombe program for stuttering so its good quality stuff. After stuttering and cluttering you do developmental speech and language difficulties - bit of a mouthful. So this is things like specific language impairment etc, and that takes you up until 4 weeks of placement in the summer!
Sorry for the ramble on, just to clarify you learn about a disorder of impairment in 1 big go. Most of the lecturers are great, a lot of them have been therapists so really like to draw on their own experiences. But then again, you just get those lectures that nobody in the world can make exciting! I would give the lecturing at UEA 9 out of 10 and the course scores well on student satisfaction surveys. They are definitely all approachable, always welcome to take questions and provide extra information if you want it. Cant think what else to say really!!
Original post by creatza
Can someone give me a better idea about DMUL? Today I got a letter from them inviting me to an Open Day (not mentioning either interview, or place) Is it still worth going to their Open Day next Saturday...Personally, I just one a place I don't care about their Open Day. Did someone else get something similar? Shall I assume it is going to be an interview on the day? Is this letter an offer from DMUL? Is it going to be of any help? I forgot to say I am a mature student.
I will appreciate any answers, especially from students who experienced the same this year or in the past. Good luck to you all!!!:smile:

DMU don't interview, so they probably just send that invitation to every applicant. If you had an offer, they would be very clear about it and it would appear on UCAS too.
Just got my first rejection email from Newcastle for their masters in Language Pathology :frown:

I sent my application in on thurs night and got the rejection today, so they had it for one whole day before they said no, so probably didn't even look at it :mad:

I wasn't particularly set on going there or anything but after all the work I put into the PS etc, its crap to get a rejection so soon :frown::frown:
Original post by lauraslw
No of course i dont mind. First subject block up until christmas is called foundations. so you study structure of language, you learn to transcirbe in phonetics, you learn about development in general, not just language so things like memory, you also learn about the clinical role of slt so who you would be working with, how referrals are made, assessments used etc. there is also some psychology and biology bits thrown in. This subject block sort of brings everyone up to speed.
Then after christmas you learn about disorders of fluency, this is what i enjoyed doing most. As for the lecturers for this block, Mary Kingston comes to lecture and she works on the Lidcombe program for stuttering so its good quality stuff. After stuttering and cluttering you do developmental speech and language difficulties - bit of a mouthful. So this is things like specific language impairment etc, and that takes you up until 4 weeks of placement in the summer!
Sorry for the ramble on, just to clarify you learn about a disorder of impairment in 1 big go. Most of the lecturers are great, a lot of them have been therapists so really like to draw on their own experiences. But then again, you just get those lectures that nobody in the world can make exciting! I would give the lecturing at UEA 9 out of 10 and the course scores well on student satisfaction surveys. They are definitely all approachable, always welcome to take questions and provide extra information if you want it. Cant think what else to say really!!

Thanks for your reply, it's made me even more eager to get a UEA interview haha. :smile:
Original post by perri winkles
Just got my first rejection email from Newcastle for their masters in Language Pathology :frown:

I sent my application in on thurs night and got the rejection today, so they had it for one whole day before they said no, so probably didn't even look at it :mad:

I wasn't particularly set on going there or anything but after all the work I put into the PS etc, its crap to get a rejection so soon :frown::frown:

That's Naff, with a capital nuh :frown: Sorry mate - hope you receive some good news soon!
Original post by Spence_LJS
That's Naff, with a capital nuh :frown: Sorry mate - hope you receive some good news soon!

Thanks, it's the first application I've sent off so hopefully the other ones will be more successful. It just seems ludicrous to only take one day to consider an application, it couldn't have been that bad :frown:

Holding out for my undergrad choices to be honest!
Thanks, it's the first application I've sent off so hopefully the other ones will be more successful. It just seems ludicrous to only take one day to consider an application, it couldn't have been that bad :frown:

Holding out for my undergrad choices to be honest!

Thats rubbish :frown: Good luck for all your other choices!
How slow are they this year? Time just seems to be dragging on as slowly as possible -.-
Reply 928
Original post by juliewho
How slow are they this year? Time just seems to be dragging on as slowly as possible -.-

It does seem to be dragging doesn't it?! Saying that I don't think it's any slower than previous years so we'll just need to learn to be patient until after Christmas! =( (I say this but I check my emails like a million times a day and everytime I do I'm like thistimethistimethistime..no..aww! lol)
Original post by Rhonaa
It does seem to be dragging doesn't it?! Saying that I don't think it's any slower than previous years so we'll just need to learn to be patient until after Christmas! =( (I say this but I check my emails like a million times a day and everytime I do I'm like thistimethistimethistime..no..aww! lol)

I checked a couple of the older threads, last year had already recieved Reading questionnaires by this point :frown: and the year before it was loads faster.
I try to limit myself to checking once a day because I know there won't be anything yet, but i'm still so impatient, I know exactly how you feel! :tongue:
Reply 930
I checked a couple of the older threads, last year had already recieved Reading questionnaires by this point :frown: and the year before it was loads faster.
I try to limit myself to checking once a day because I know there won't be anything yet, but i'm still so impatient, I know exactly how you feel! :tongue:

Aw you're the exact same as me, I trawled through pages and pages of last years thread to see when people started hearing from my choices! Strathclyde were already giving out offers this time last year so I know how frustrated you're feeling about Reading! So much waiting! Even after we find out we'll have like 9 months until we actually get started! =P
Original post by Rhonaa
Aw you're the exact same as me, I trawled through pages and pages of last years thread to see when people started hearing from my choices! Strathclyde were already giving out offers this time last year so I know how frustrated you're feeling about Reading! So much waiting! Even after we find out we'll have like 9 months until we actually get started! =P

I know, we're so sad :tongue: Readings not my first choice but it's frustrating all the same. I won't start worrying until someone else has an offer from one of my choices though. I think Newcastle started giving out offers around New Year last year, so we have that to look forward to (or dread) :tongue: and then we'll all swap from "I want an offer!" to "I want to start now!"
Reply 932
I know, we're so sad :tongue: Readings not my first choice but it's frustrating all the same. I won't start worrying until someone else has an offer from one of my choices though. I think Newcastle started giving out offers around New Year last year, so we have that to look forward to (or dread) :tongue: and then we'll all swap from "I want an offer!" to "I want to start now!"

Yeah that'll be when it gets really awful - you KNOW they're giving out offers but you've heard nothing! Where is your first choice? x
Original post by Rhonaa
Yeah that'll be when it gets really awful - you KNOW they're giving out offers but you've heard nothing! Where is your first choice? x

Any of my other choices really - Reading was like a "ooh, I should probably use all five choices" option. I wouldn't mind going there though. I loved Newcastle and Sheffield though :smile: You?
Reply 934

wow really :s-smilie: That sucks and would be rather rude if they didn't even look at it.
Did you attach your references to the application or just filled in the details? I submitted my application 1st November but haven't heard back, and my second referee hasn't written / sent off my reference yet (grrrrr)
Down to my final choices now and I've one more spot to fill!

Its a toss up between Demontfort, Manchester uni and Birmingham. Does anyone have any info, pros or cons?
I've never been to any of these areas as I'm not from the UK, so anything about the locations that could be a decider?

I don't have any strong feelings towards any of them, although I'm not sure how I like the social approach taken in Birmingham.

Anyways any info welcome :smile:

Also another quick question, how did you all get your line count down for PS? I'm well below the character limit at 3,438 but I have 57 lines ! So no idea how I'm gonna get around this one :?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 936
Any of my other choices really - Reading was like a "ooh, I should probably use all five choices" option. I wouldn't mind going there though. I loved Newcastle and Sheffield though :smile: You?

It's between Newcastle and Strathclyde for me really! I'm from Glasgow, and I've done another degree away from home so it's tempting to come back to Glasgow and sort of settle there if you know what I mean?! But I've heard amazing things about SLT at Newcastle, and I really like the look of the uni/city so it's a tough one! Did you go to the Newcastle open day? I was on hol and missed it =( Do they do an applicants day type thing at Newc? x
Original post by Rhonaa
It's between Newcastle and Strathclyde for me really! I'm from Glasgow, and I've done another degree away from home so it's tempting to come back to Glasgow and sort of settle there if you know what I mean?! But I've heard amazing things about SLT at Newcastle, and I really like the look of the uni/city so it's a tough one! Did you go to the Newcastle open day? I was on hol and missed it =( Do they do an applicants day type thing at Newc? x

I did go - it's amazing! I love Newcastle city anyway but I couldnt fault it, other than the accom was a bit meh and they were rebuilding the student union so we couldn't see that. I also went to Sheff though, which had amazing accom and an amazing union, but it's a bit close and I spend a lot of time in Sheffield anyway,I feel like I need to branch out rather than settle down.
I haven't been able to see my other choices properly though so it's hard to pick. :frown: I think they will do an applicant day, it would be a bit odd if you couldn't see it to make a proper decision. I suppose it's different when you've already been away for a degree, i'd probably want to settle closer if i'd been away for three years :tongue:
Reply 938
I did go - it's amazing! I love Newcastle city anyway but I couldnt fault it, other than the accom was a bit meh and they were rebuilding the student union so we couldn't see that. I also went to Sheff though, which had amazing accom and an amazing union, but it's a bit close and I spend a lot of time in Sheffield anyway,I feel like I need to branch out rather than settle down.
I haven't been able to see my other choices properly though so it's hard to pick. :frown: I think they will do an applicant day, it would be a bit odd if you couldn't see it to make a proper decision. I suppose it's different when you've already been away for a degree, i'd probably want to settle closer if i'd been away for three years :tongue:

It's such a hard decision to make! And my friend pointed out to me the other day that I'm stressing about it and I haven't even got any offers yet! Which is a good point I suppose!
One of the girls I volunteer with at stroke support groups has just graduated from Newcastle doing SLT and she absolutely raves about it! Every week I see her she convinces me just that wee bit more!
One thing she has made me consider though is the job situation. She's come back up to Glasgow (her hometown) and although there are actually quite a few SLT jobs in Scotland at the mo, I think she feels that because she didn't study in Scotland she's lacking the "inside contacts" that Scottish SLT graduates have from placements/volunteering etc. so that's another reason for me to stay in Glasgow - my head says Glasgow, heart says Newcastle!
Are you at school at the moment?
Down to my final choices now and I've one more spot to fill!

Its a toss up between Demontfort, Manchester uni and Birmingham. Does anyone have any info, pros or cons?
I've never been to any of these areas as I'm not from the UK, so anything about the locations that could be a decider?

I don't have any strong feelings towards any of them, although I'm not sure how I like the social approach taken in Birmingham.

Anyways any info welcome :smile:

Also another quick question, how did you all get your line count down for PS? I'm well below the character limit at 3,438 but I have 57 lines ! So no idea how I'm gonna get around this one :?

I'm not sure about DMU and Birmingham but I went to the Manchester open day and the course seemed very well organised with some enthusiastic lecturers! It is 4 years though, whereas I think the others are 3.5.

That's interesting that your character limit is so low yet line limit is well over! I'm the opposite. I've got 43 lines and over 4,500 characters. I must be using stupidly long words or something...

Also, I've just realised I've focused solely on my degree, job, 5 observations and 2 SLT courses... and haven't mentioned other things like Camp America where I assessed swimming abilities and taught lessons etc. Not sure if it's that relevant...and the word limit is so restrictive. Perhaps I'll leave it for interviews etc. Ahhhhhhh......
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest