The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

NUS Card/Purple Card

Right, so I went on the NUS website to order the card.

It redirected me to a LUSU's website to sign up for a "purple card". So do I get a purple card and not an NUS card? Is it possible to get one and not the other? Advice?

Sorry if I'm being retarded. Thanks a lot.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm fairly sure the Purple Card counts as an NUS card - I've used it to prove I'm a student outside of uni. And you definitely want to get a Purple Card, they're really useful and you can't join societies and other important stuff like that without one. Plus there are often Purple card offers - so your Purple card can get you free stuff or money off in restaurants etc.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
meandmylies
I'm fairly sure the Purple Card counts as an NUS card - I've used it to prove I'm a student outside of uni. And you definitely want to get a Purple Card, they're really useful and you can't join societies and other important stuff like that without one. Plus there are often Purple card offers - so your Purple card can get you free stuff or money off in restaurants etc.

thanks for the reply. just found this though: "During the on-line signup procedure for a LUSU card you will get the opportunity to purchase an NUS Xtra card. If you order a card, NUS process the order and then post the card directly to you". so they are different things. http://lusu.co.uk/lusucard
The Purplecard is the standard NUS card, but it is specific to Lancaster (hence the colour etc)

The NUS Extra card is an extra card that gives you more deals and discounts, such as meal deals in McDonalds and discount on websites like Amazon.. These deals aren't available with a normal NUS card.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 4
actually the Mcdonalds free cheeseburger/mcflurry is available with purple card, did it many times. Mmmmmmmm!
Reply 5
philip67
actually the Mcdonalds free cheeseburger/mcflurry is available with purple card, did it many times. Mmmmmmmm!

free cheeseburger under what condition?
purple card for me i think!do we order them now or wait til we get to lancaster..?
Reply 6
I'd advise to order one now, I waited until I got to uni last year and it was a nightmare of queueing and faffing around
Reply 7
ponpon14
free cheeseburger under what condition?
purple card for me i think!do we order them now or wait til we get to lancaster..?

Free cheeseburger or McFlurry when you order any standard value meal. Or large or whatever. Just any meal.

Its a good bargain.

I never bothered with an NUS Extra and never found that I needed one. So personally I would save the money. Also I think they introduced a new way to get purple cards, and its worth doing the 3 year option, as its cheaper, and you will need one for all 3 (or more) years you are there for!
Reply 8
I agree with philip67, the Purple Card gets you lots of stuff and I never found I had any problems not having the NUS Extra card - also, definitely worth ordering before you get to uni, and getting it for all three years. Saves both time and money that way, and you can choose the picture that goes on it too if you order it online beforehand.
Reply 9
awesome - thanks a lot.

one question though - obviously it seems that the purple card is recognised in maccy d's etc. up in lancaster. when you go back home like 200 miles or whatever...does it still get you discounts...'cuz i'm sure no maccy d's worker round here has heard of the "lancaster uni purple card"?! if you get what i mean :smile:
BJP
awesome - thanks a lot.

one question though - obviously it seems that the purple card is recognised in maccy d's etc. up in lancaster. when you go back home like 200 miles or whatever...does it still get you discounts...'cuz i'm sure no maccy d's worker round here has heard of the "lancaster uni purple card"?! if you get what i mean :smile:

it has the NUS logo on it, so should be fine. i've used it to get student discounts in Edinburgh, Newcastle and London and have never had a problem.
Reply 11
you will need a purple card to join any society aswell, so its almost compulsary in most cases...
Reply 12
The only thing I find annoying with the Purple card is the way they don't have your age or owt on there. I mean, I didn't have a provisional last year so if I got ID'ed around campus for booze/cigs, it's hit or miss whether they'd accept the purple card as ID. At the start of the year they did for a bit, then after that they'd just tend to stop. I dunno if you can get a purple card if you're not a student and thus 18+, but surely just sticking a DOB on there to act as proof of age wouldn't be too hard?
Reply 13
Hiya just looked up about getting one now for when i start but it says orders are closed at the moment. It says it'll reopen around August. Does anyone know an exact date? I'm impatient :P
Reply 14
loopy6111
Hiya just looked up about getting one now for when i start but it says orders are closed at the moment. It says it'll reopen around August. Does anyone know an exact date? I'm impatient :P

I just ordered mine, no problems :smile: I bought the three year version. I got the NUS Extra card too, though having read this thread I'm regretting that decision :s-smilie:
Reply 15
http://card.lusu.co.uk/

Hit "no" and fill in the form. You'll need your UCAS ID and card details to hand. It shouldn't make any difference but I'm using Firefox. Let me know if you still have trouble.
Reply 16
Absinth
Thank you. :biggrin: Repped. :cool:

Oooh. I got a pleasant tingling sensation down my spine. :yep:
Kua
I just ordered mine, no problems :smile: I bought the three year version. I got the NUS Extra card too, though having read this thread I'm regretting that decision :s-smilie:

It is cheaper to get the 3 year version of the purple card so I wouldn't worry about that. You need it for societies, it gets you discounts both in town and on campus [often quite good special offers at the LUSU shop such as £5 off a hoodie] and can be used as student ID almost anywhere.

The NUS Extra card is good for the internet discounts, like on Amazon. I bought it last year and used it quite a bit although I am not sure if I am going to renew it. Just see how much use you get from it this year as it is hard to predict sometimes. :smile:
Is there a 09/10 purple card coming out, because the only one on the website is 08/09, and I wasn't sure if that was the right one to get.
Reply 19
killwirk
Is there a 09/10 purple card coming out, because the only one on the website is 08/09, and I wasn't sure if that was the right one to get.

Just follow this link for the 09 one

http://card.lusu.co.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending