The Student Room Group

Physics and Medicine

Is Physics required if your planning on studing medicine later on? I had to pick my IGCSE subjects, and i'm just quite not sure. My science teacher says you don't need physics because it has nothing to do with medicine, and even if it does, you'll cover up all the parts u need at university. Bio and chemistry are compulsory so I have no choice.

Another option comes with physics is geography. I'm thinking about taking geography instead because i enjoy doing it more and I get higher grades at it compared to what i get in physics. But then this could reflect back when trying to apply to study medicine in a university prolly in the UK or the states.

Please tell me your suggestions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Fahad
Is Physics required if your planning on studing medicine later on? I had to pick my IGCSE subjects, and i'm just quite not sure. My science teacher says you don't need physics because it has nothing to do with medicine, and even if it does, you'll cover up all the parts u need at university. Bio and chemistry are compulsory so I have no choice.

Another option comes with physics is geography. I'm thinking about taking geography instead because i enjoy doing it more and I get higher grades at it compared to what i get in physics. But then this could reflect back when trying to apply to study medicine in a university prolly in the UK or the states.

Yeh i dont think u need physics, its only needed as from wht i know for Engineering of anything.

You could take maths , relates to Chemistry. Tht should be compulsory i think anyway. Yeh taking Geography is no harm.
Reply 2
Fahad

I'd advise you to take physics. When you think about how competitive Medicine is, applicants with a strong scientific background are going to be favoured. Plus, I think as Medicine is a scientifically based course, it does help to have an understanding of physics. A lot of the principles from this subject will be helpful in understanding how i.e. radiation therapy, and certain other treatments work.

However, after saying this Physics isn't compulsuary once at AS/A Level and in the end, if you really hate physics, it's not going to do you any good to take it now. Read up a bit on what qualifications specific Unis that you are considering going to look for in Medicine applicants. If they want you to have Physics, there's your answer.
Reply 3
What about studying physics privately? What effect does this have?
Reply 4
Fahad

I think that someone who had a physics IGCSE would be at a slight advantage to someone who doesn't just because you may come across physics' principles later on and it would be beneficial (and much easier to understand) to know the fundamental principles. However, it will not disadvantage you if you don't take physics at a higher level than IGCSEs, it can even be a positive thing as it will show you as a more rounded person. My personal opinion would be to take physics, I don't know about IGCSEs but physics GCSE isn't that demanding and I'm sure if you are determined enough you'll be able to achieve a good enough grade :wink:

However, if you feel you really wont perform well then it is more worthwhile sticking to Geography :smile:
Reply 5
Fahad

Why not at your school with the rest of your subjects?! Private studying could be a benefit as it will show that you're committed to studying and are detemined about going into Medicine. But I'd think you'd have to justify why you chose to go private.
Reply 6
Fahad

Wouldn't it be a bit hard doing the practical stuff?
Reply 7
What's IGCSE?!
Reply 8
Psyche
Why not at your school with the rest of your subjects?! Private studying could be a benefit as it will show that you're committed to studying and are detemined about going into Medicine. But I'd think you'd have to justify why you chose to go private.

But then I could have both physics and geography and not just physics alone. Last year, I got the geography subject prize.. this is why i'm more willing to do geography over physics
Reply 9
Psyche
What's IGCSE?!

It's like GCSE but International. UK students take GCSE and non-UK students take IGCSE. There's not much difference between them.
Reply 10
Fahad
It's like GCSE but International. UK students take GCSE and non-UK students take IGCSE. There's not much difference between them.

Ahhhhh, I see.
Reply 11
Fahad
But then I could have both physics and geography and not just physics alone. Last year, I got the geography subject prize.. this is why i'm more willing to do geography over physics
Before i said Maths does cover some physics (Im not sure on this does anyone else know)so doesnt that make up for it, Maths is compusory for you right?

Allowing Geography to be taken as you want.
Reply 12
Psyche
What's IGCSE?!

International GCSE
Reply 13
Fahad

Well, I applied for Msci Physics for university, so my view might be a bit biased here... Otherwise, I think physics can be quite helpfull both in medecine and geography. It depends of course on what exactly you are gonna spesialise in, but here in scandinavia, physics is compulsory for medecine I think. Bio is not... (Having said this, the unis in Norway suck compared to the british ones...)
Reply 14
oh woops, too slow as usual :biggrin:

Fahad, if you think the workload will be ok then I don't see why you shouldn't take geography and physics - I know quite a few students (my brother included) who took GCSEs out of school, mostly music and ICT but they were fine with the extra workload :smile:
Reply 15
Thanks for your help guys :smile:
Reply 16
Niz
Before i said Maths does cover some physics (Im not sure on this does anyone else know)so doesnt that make up for it, Maths is compusory for you right?

I wouldn't say maths GCSE covers physics. It may cover some mathematic principles you use in Physics to solve problems, but the theory itself is in Physics, not maths. (At A Level this all changes). This is what I found anyway!
I just want to add something to this convo. Many of the new med schools (ie Peninsula, Brighton Sussex) actually prefer you to have something other than sciences at A-level. I know you are talking about IGCSE, but I just wanted to mention that you do not need a Physics AS or A2. Bio and Chem are plenty. You don't even need maths A-level to do medicine, so if you don't enjoy it, don't do it.

I would however recommend doing an IGCSE in Physics, because if you are applying to certain uni's for medicine in which they require you to do the BMAT before you have an interview, there are physics questions tehre. I would suggest doing both Physics and Geography, meaning you can do an A-level in geography which is a good A-level to do. (I wish I had taken geography a-level instead of physics now, but I didn't. Damn!)
take physics if you want. It wont be any advantage or disadvantage at all. You need bio and chem to do medicine, and although some unis prefer you to have another science or maths, quite a lot like you to have humanities subjects instead as it shows you are well-rounded.
Reply 19
ThunderCat8
I would however recommend doing an IGCSE in Physics, because if you are applying to certain uni's for medicine in which they require you to do the BMAT before you have an interview, there are physics questions tehre.

Good point, in that case I would definitely take up IGCSE in physics as if the BMAT proves beneficial this year (which it probably will), apparently all UK medical schools will set the test next year :eek:

Latest