The Student Room Group

Dont get GSCE's/Standard grades?

Scroll to see replies

seanewilson
My friend went to Birmingham with an unconditional....

I can't claim to know anything about Birmingham's admissions policy, but there are almost certainly counterexamples to what I was saying. I was talking in general. I suppose it is true that you do not need Advanced Highers for university; however, you will find that you will for a great many courses at English universities. (To wit: all the ones I looked at when I was applying.)

Scottish degrees are longer because you take extra classes for the first two years.

True. It is still the case that first year in England is approximately equivalent to second in Scotland. This is partly due to the course structure (if you're taking outside subjects then you can't have the same rapid advance through core material) but more importantly because of the difference in entry qualifications.
(edited 13 years ago)
I think its mostly the top unis in england that ask for advanced h's. And I dunno if you get a degree you get a degree :smile:
seanewilson
I think its mostly the top unis in england that ask for advanced h's. And I dunno if you get a degree you get a degree :smile:

That much I can definitely agree with! :p:
Yeah! :biggrin: haha
Original post by generalebriety
They're not exact equivalents. People take 10+ GCSEs because GCSEs are slightly easier. Similarly, AS exams are slightly easier than highers, and A2 exams are slightly easier than advanced highers, I think. But no one is disadvantaged because of the qualifications offered in their country.

old thread but no. wrong.

GCSEs are harder than Standard Grade. We used the Standard Grade papers as practice papers in year 1 GCSE. AS Harder than Higher but Advanced Higher slightly harder than A2.
Reply 25
I don't even HAVE GCSE in my country. :/
Original post by JohnJoe
I don't even HAVE GCSE in my country. :/

And? :confused:
Reply 27
Duh, just wondering about my application?
Original post by JohnJoe
Duh, just wondering about my application?

You might try phrasing it as a question in the first place, then. You will not be meaningfully affected because of your school qualifications system, unless it's really pretty wacky.
Reply 29
Original post by TheUnbeliever
You might try phrasing it as a question in the first place, then. You will not be meaningfully affected because of your school qualifications system, unless it's really pretty wacky.

Well that's called semantics. People should be able to know what I mean even without a ?.

Thanks anyhow. I think it's a bit whacky, because basically I only have Matura (A-level equivalent) and those I posted on UCAS, lol. >_<
Original post by JohnJoe
Well that's called semantics. People should be able to know what I mean even without a ?.

I'm not stupid, thank you.

Thanks anyhow. I think it's a bit whacky, because basically I only have Matura (A-level equivalent) and those I posted on UCAS, lol. >_<

Don't worry, there are plenty of EU applications in general and the Matura is not an unusual qualification. I was thinking more of vocational college courses (health & beauty, woodworking) which are great, but not usually preparation for a university degree.
Reply 31
Original post by TheUnbeliever
I'm not stupid, thank you.

Don't worry, there are plenty of EU applications in general and the Matura is not an unusual qualification. I was thinking more of vocational college courses (health & beauty, woodworking) which are great, but not usually preparation for a university degree.

^ :ahee: :love: Not saying you are!

I hope so!
GCSEs are usually taken in the fifth year of secondary school, whilst standard grades are usually taken in the fourth year of secondary school.

GCSEs are easier than standard grades, and involve more coursework with less emphasis on the final exam. However, standard grades have more emphasis on the final exam and are more difficult (which is why less are taken).

Less A-Levels are taken than highers though (usually three for a good pupil) but five highers are taken. This is because A Levels are usually taken over two years.
Original post by anthonyfl
GCSEs are usually taken in the fifth year of secondary school, whilst standard grades are usually taken in the fourth year of secondary school.

GCSEs are easier than standard grades, and involve more coursework with less emphasis on the final exam. However, standard grades have more emphasis on the final exam and are more difficult (which is why less are taken).

Less A-Levels are taken than highers though (usually three for a good pupil) but five highers are taken. This is because A Levels are usually taken over two years.

The first paragraph is wrong.

The last paragraph you have to mention is that A2 covers Advanced Higher level content, with AH going beyond A-Level. But the actual A-Level itself has content on par with it.

AS - Higher
A2 - Wee bit easier than Advanced Higher

Think of it like that. Be careful of making generalisations too. Of my 60 pupil year, I was one of three doing 5 Highers.

(Just to put some icing on the cake, OP made this thread well over 2 years ago. He's now a medic, I'm sure he will have figured out the answer to his question in the in between stage.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by spacepirate-James
Ok so im from scotland

but im confused, are advanced highers like AS levels or A2 levels (i cant actually tell AS/A2 apart XD) same question with highers?

Also im presuming standard grades/int 2s are like GSCE's. But then surely they aren't the same since loads of people take like 10 + GSCE's? Whilst most people up here only take 8 (well i have anyway), does that mean i'll be disadvantaged if i try to apply to english unis? :confused:

Sorry if nothing made sense, or if anything sounded stupid :p:

EDIT: Oops, spelt GCSE's wrong... haha, stupid c's and s's sounding the same....

Standard Grades/Int 2 = GCSE's/IGCSE's
Highers = As level (but apparently highers are slightly harder)
Advanced Highers = A2 levels (again AH's are apparently harder?)

Less standard grades are taken but most people up in Scotland take slightly more highers than English students taking As levels. I only did 9 GCSE's. Also in England there are quite a few compulsory subjects (other than English and Maths) so you have to take that into account.

I went from the English system (did GCSE's) to the Scottish system (Highers/AH's) so I guess you could say I've been able to experience some of the differences.

To answer your question though - no you shouldn't be at a disadvantage for only doing 8 SG's. All my friends took 8 SG's/Int 2's and many are applying to English unis or have applied and have received offers.
Just to emphasise: this thread is more than two years old. The OP is now at university, studying medicine. The question has been answered many times over.
I'd say the order in difficulty would probably go like this; easiest to hardest

intermediate 1
standard grade = GCSE
intermediate 2
higher = as level
a2 level
advanced higher

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending