The Student Room Group

Taking 3rd year

This is regarding the situation when some people like me have to spend another year in doing A-levels. I got the results and it's well below what is expected for the course I want to get in at Uni.
The question is... How does the college work out your predicted grades when you apply second time?

I have done really bad in 2nd year as compared to AS levels (AAB). Looking back at all this I believe I can make up for my silly mistakes I made in A2s, by working hard, by working very hard this year. That's all well. I know I can do it. College is ready to take me as well. Pharmacy department take re-sits as well so that's not a problem as well. BUT can someone please help me out what to do about my predicted grades: If college, for UCAS app process, predicts grades I have got overall in A-levels (BDD :|), I really think that those Pharmacy guys at Manchester won't be very happy to see that!! (To see that I have got BDD at A-levels. And that got C's and D's in A2s.) Really worrying it is... :frown:

Do you know someone who had to do it and they got in the second time they applied for the course?
Looking forward to seeing your sincere answers. :smile:
Reply 1
Your school/college predicts your grades. So you need to talk to your teachers and convince them that you'll do much better. You've already pulled one subject up to a B from a C or D, so you might want to mention that
I am in a similar situation after loosing out on my university offer by 4UMS, my concern isnt getting the predictions and the grades but if a university will even look at me with a 3rd year, anyone know? :s-smilie:
Reply 3
It depends on the uni. Some unis for some subjects won't consider people who took a 3rd year over A Levels - this is usually stated on their website or in the prospectus. If not, you should ask them. If you have any extenuating circumstances this will help.
Juno
It depends on the uni. Some unis for some subjects won't consider people who took a 3rd year over A Levels - this is usually stated on their website or in the prospectus. If not, you should ask them. If you have any extenuating circumstances this will help.

I dont have any other extenuating circumstances other than that I was extremely close which I know wont wash. I think I will just have to spend lots of time carefully concidering my options and making lots of phone calls. Do you think applying with AAA for a BBB course would help to compensate for a 3rd year? or be expected anyway due to the 3rd year?

Many thanks

Reply 5
You shouldn't really have a problem with taking a third year, unless you applying for something like medicine/dentistry. A girl in my year missed her oxford offer for Law by 7 marks and she re-sat and reapplied and got in. She didn't have any 'extenuating circumstances' either. So most unis are okay with it.

Also just to add, if you re-sitting you offer maybe a bit higher than what the normally ask for.
OP I'm in the same situation, same course as well.

Have you spoken to the uni you are applying too? I'm not sure of places like Kings and Notts etc will accept. I know Reading will though I spoke to them after I found out my results. I'm not sure about Manchester either.

I think in terms of predicted grades it will be the same as last year.
Reply 7
JumpingJonny
I dont have any other extenuating circumstances other than that I was extremely close which I know wont wash. I think I will just have to spend lots of time carefully concidering my options and making lots of phone calls. Do you think applying with AAA for a BBB course would help to compensate for a 3rd year? or be expected anyway due to the 3rd year?

Many thanks

It might be worth considering a remark. 4 UMS isn't many, so you might be able to find them somewhere. It will be expensive if your grade doesn't change, though.

Make sure you do something to make you stand out, like killer work experience if possible. And if you're only resitting one or two modules some unis may not see you as a full resit candidate anyway because you're not doing the whole year again.
Reply 8
im in the same situation, it really sucks, i got ABC instead of AAB, missed both subjects by 10 UMS :angry:, im doing those short retake courses at a special college in london until january. it sucks that we can only do A2 retakes though because of the old legacy board thing. Its going to be hard/impossible for me to get into a good uni again.

Do you know if u can apply to the same unis again? and do you have to change ur personal statemtn or not?
Reply 9
Juno
Your school/college predicts your grades. So you need to talk to your teachers and convince them that you'll do much better. You've already pulled one subject up to a B from a C or D, so you might want to mention that

Thanks. :smile:
Yeah it seems the only option - taking to them and convincing them I'll improve (a lot).
Reply 10
Loz17
OP I'm in the same situation, same course as well.

Have you spoken to the uni you are applying too? I'm not sure of places like Kings and Notts etc will accept. I know Reading will though I spoke to them after I found out my results. I'm not sure about Manchester either.

I think in terms of predicted grades it will be the same as last year.

Oh same course as well!

I spoke to Manchester yeah and they said they do consider such cases. :smile:

It'll be awesome it it's same as that of last year, but I don't honestly think it's going to be this easy. As Juno just mentioned, we need to speak to teachers, tell them what went wrong last year and what we are going to do to make it better.
Reply 11
amzy2
im in the same situation, it really sucks, i got ABC instead of AAB, missed both subjects by 10 UMS :angry:, im doing those short retake courses at a special college in london until january. it sucks that we can only do A2 retakes though because of the old legacy board thing. Its going to be hard/impossible for me to get into a good uni again.

Do you know if u can apply to the same unis again? and do you have to change ur personal statemtn or not?

I know how it feels man! Yeah not the best experience in lift. Yes, we can apply to the same uni next year. Not sure, but I assume that it's to be a different and even better PS.

Would you please elaborate a bit on " im doing those short retake courses at a special college in london until january."
Khubseerat
Oh same course as well!

I spoke to Manchester yeah and they said they do consider such cases. :smile:

It'll be awesome it it's same as that of last year, but I don't honestly think it's going to be this easy. As Juno just mentioned, we need to speak to teachers, tell them what went wrong last year and what we are going to do to make it better.

Yea, I'm going in on 1st Sept to do just that. My predicted grades last year were really good, but if they just settle for BBC then they know I'm takine another AS from scratch (of which I will need a C in to meet the offer) then they should be ok. I got given offers last year with a predicted grade of a C in chemistry so it might not be too bad, I think typical offer for Manchester is ABB?

Yes it's going to be difficult, but I think with a little hard work we will be ok :smile:
Reply 13
Khubseerat
I know how it feels man! Yeah not the best experience in lift. Yes, we can apply to the same uni next year. Not sure, but I assume that it's to be a different and even better PS.

Would you please elaborate a bit on " im doing those short retake courses at a special college in london until january."

Hi, Thanks for your reply and sorry about the vagueness.

On Friday after results I booked appointments at independant colleges in london, they were all near hyde park to find out how i could re-take and re-learn maths and chemistry. They also help a lot with personal statements and UCAS application.

They have intensive short courses from september 10th till january where you will have to cram a lot of work in order to be ready for january re-takes. You have about 8 hours a week of lessons per subject. their sucess rate seems promising. The ones im concidering are MPW - london, Duff Miller and Lansdowne, i know there are many out there but the more i see the harder the selection becomes. i have no idea how to chose one from the above because of the mixed feedback ive recieved.

this seems the best way, because it is hard to discipline yourself to study on your on for january.
Reply 14
op did u decide on where to go?? am considering duff miller at the mo to retake physics
Reply 15
I had a few friends that retook a year and were able to secure good predictions and got where they wanted to be. So it can be worthwhile. On the other hand, a couple had a go and it made very little difference and they felt they'd wasted a year.
As far as calculating the predicted grades, you need to convince your tutors of your ability to push harder and do much better. The extra year could be the answer to your problems though. Good Luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending