The Student Room Group

How good should your personal statement be for the top? And mine sucks donkey btw

Having read a few personal statements around here in the Personal Statements section - i was quite shocked at how crap mine really was compared to them:woo: ! Is it true i have to do 6 ALEVELS??!:confused: Because most of the offers made by the top unis were to these types of students!

I want to do a Physics based type of subject and want to know whether you HAVE to do some type of work experience/job type of thing if i want to apply 2010 to say:

warwick
Durham or Imperial - which ones better? cant decide!:confused:
Loughborough or Bristol - cant decide which uni has the better course! Both are the same!:confused:
Oxford - i know i won't get in because i suck and they suck as they will suck me out too.
UCL - dont know whether their department is even strong enough even though they are the 5th best uni in the country.

Predicted grades: A*AAB (A* in physics:rolleyes: )
Doing - Maths, F Maths, Physics and Chem!

So far the only real work experience for physics ive done is ...zilch! But ive read bare physics books (not by stephen hawking ahaa!)...but i guess that doesn't help much.:frown:
Reply 1
Make sure you show an enthusiasm for your subject you are applying for and also display an interest in other topics which can either be unrelated or partially related.

I applied for Mech Eng and wrote that i had an interest in classical military history. That got me interviews at everywhere i applied.
Reply 2
DeeDub
Make sure you show an enthusiasm for your subject you are applying for and also display an interest in other topics which can either be unrelated or partially related.

I applied for Mech Eng and wrote that i had an interest in classical military history. That got me interviews at everywhere i applied.

Lol gotta love them cannons!
Reply 3
I'm sure that only people with amazing statements post on this website - I don't think it's a realistic reflection of most statements.

I'd also add you're a Physics student - it'd be very hard to have any hobbies or get work experience related to Physics. I don't think you're in too bad a position, especially with your extra reading. Your grades are very competitive, so I don't think you need worry too much.
Reply 4
JW92
I'm sure that only people with amazing statements post on this website - I don't think it's a realistic reflection of most statements.

I'd also add you're a Physics student - it'd be very hard to have any hobbies or get work experience related to Physics. I don't think you're in too bad a position, especially with your extra reading. Your grades are very competitive, so I don't think you need worry too much.

Do you think i should apply to Durham instead of Imperial?
Imperial seems quite good....dunno bout durham
Reply 5
captnibby1234
Having read a few personal statements around here in the Personal Statements section - i was quite shocked at how crap mine really was compared to them:woo: ! Is it true i have to do 6 ALEVELS??!:confused: Because most of the offers made by the top unis were to these types of students!

I want to do a Physics based type of subject and want to know whether you HAVE to do some type of work experience/job type of thing if i want to apply 2010 to say:

warwick
Durham or Imperial - which ones better? cant decide!:confused:
Loughborough or Bristol - cant decide which uni has the better course! Both are the same!:confused:
Oxford - i know i won't get in because i suck and they suck as they will suck me out too.
UCL - dont know whether their department is even strong enough even though they are the 5th best uni in the country.

Predicted grades: A*AAB (A* in physics:rolleyes: )
Doing - Maths, F Maths, Physics and Chem!

So far the only real work experience for physics ive done is ...zilch! But ive read bare physics books (not by stephen hawking ahaa!)...but i guess that doesn't help much.:frown:

Physics is a hard topic to have work experience with which is fine because the universitites know this. Just make sure that when you write your personal statement you make sure to really portray to the uni that this is what you want to do and tell them why you would be good at it. You also have to make sure to talk a bit about your hobbies because no university wants somebody who just sits at home and reads all day.
Good luck
Reply 6
LykkeS
Physics is a hard topic to have work experience with which is fine because the universitites know this. Just make sure that when you write your personal statement you make sure to really portray to the uni that this is what you want to do and tell them why you would be good at it. You also have to make sure to talk a bit about your hobbies because no university wants somebody who just sits at home and reads all day.
Good luck

Well, half my time is spent rowing, running and swimming.
Iam also a 2 time gold winner in 100m in my school years.
I play the guitar and stuff and write my own music even without having no background of musical notation!
I hope you are right!
Reply 7
There's a list of boxes they like you to tick, without making it explicit that you're just trying to tick them. Work your way around 5 or so of the better PSs on this site and you should figure them out without too much trouble, like I did. I'd like to think Warwick focus more on PS than GCSE grades - according to themselves, they really want people with potential.
Reply 8
Altruistic1
There's a list of boxes they like you to tick, without making it explicit that you're just trying to tick them. Work your way around 5 or so of the better PSs on this site and you should figure them out without too much trouble, like I did. I'd like to think Warwick focus more on PS than GCSE grades - according to themselves, they really want people with potential.

lol how come youve got -42000 posts?
Reply 9
captnibby1234
Well, half my time is spent rowing, running and swimming.
Iam also a 2 time gold winner in 100m in my school years.
I play the guitar and stuff and write my own music even without having no background of musical notation!
I hope you are right!

Of course I am right. I got into a uni where I didn't have the grades but my personal statement that showed more about me than my grades got me in. Just if you can tell the uni how these activities have helped you in life, that is also a good thing. Like one of mine was MUN, and I said that it helped me to dare stand up for something I believed and it helped me interacting with other people a lot more. :yep:
Reply 10
captnibby1234
Do you think i should apply to Durham instead of Imperial?
Imperial seems quite good....dunno bout durham

I'm a languages student, so I couldn't really even hazard a guess at where is better for Physics.

BSc Physics at Durham on UCAS

BSc Physics at Imperial on UCAS

See if one course suits you more than another. The unversities don't differ much in prestige. Also, Imperial is in London whereas Durham is quite a small university city - so depends which you prefer.
captnibby1234
lol how come youve got -42000 posts?

punishment - I tried to hax the site.
Couple of pointers:

1. Keep it simple. Don't write in an extremely elaborate or verbose way; make sure it reads well and flows.
2. Don't be afraid to manipulate the truth.
3. Make sure you say exactly why you want to study the subject.
4. Try and tailor it to the unis' courses.
Reply 13
Grapevine
Couple of pointers:

1. Keep it simple. Don't write in an extremely elaborate or verbose way; make sure it reads well and flows.
2. Don't be afraid to manipulate the truth.
3. Make sure you say exactly why you want to study the subject.
4. Try and tailor it to the unis' courses.

Generally, yes, But if you have a chance of getting interviewed, don't bend the truth to the point where interviewers could pick you up on it and know you're lying.
DeeDub

just wondering whether you're finding mech eng any good as most people have told me its loads of boring work and at the end 7/8 dont go into engineering jobs but management!
Reply 15
captnibby1234
just wondering whether you're finding mech eng any good as most people have told me its loads of boring work and at the end 7/8 dont go into engineering jobs but management!

Those people are telling the truth. There is lots of work, most of it boring, but i still don't regret picking mech eng. The work requires a lot of self motivation. Once i have completed it though it allows you to interesting jobs that that other degrees don't allow.
Reply 16
Also, make use of the PS helper service on the site. It's quite helpful!

Latest

Trending

Trending