The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Who visits Scotland unless they have family there anyway?
Reply 21
Sooo, the English can release Ronnie Biggs and give him a pension, but the Scottish can't release Megrahi? :rolleyes:

It's understandable that the American families are upset. However, the head of the FBI or whatever can just **** off. It's not as if all this will get him rearrested. Kudos to Scotland for not bending to America.
Reply 22
I think that the Scottish governmenr were right to release the Lockerbie Bomber. An incredibly courageous and brave move (if there were no ulterior motives behind it, as in oil/gas). It was a shining beacon to the rest of the world of morality and human compassion. I applaud Scotland for taking this step.

I am in no way condoning the Lockerbie Bomber (if he did infact do it), but I believe, that in the same way that a moral society shouldnt kill someone just because they killed someone, a moral society should show compassion to all its criminals, even when they themselves didnt show compassion.

And Im wondering why the Americans see fit to throw their weight around on an issue which has absoutey sweet f all to do with them.

Kudos to Scotland for making the correct decision.
Reply 23
They'll never boycott us - they love our whisky too much.
Reply 24
hmmmm--I reckon that Biggs was released to 'pave the way' for Megrahi. So it wouldn't look so much of a 'one off' situation. What I would love to see is someone with a terminally ill relative who is in jail, asking the scottish government to release them 'on compassionate grounds' . not that I think that they should be released-I would just love to see what the government's excuse would be......
Anyway-this Megrahi thing was planned two years ago when that leering monster, Blair met Gaddafi and-whoooo-lo and behold--a multi-million oil deal ! al-megrahi is an oil pawn. I will be interested to see if he does indeed 'die' in 3 months......
I have read some posts regarding the opinions of a few Americans on the BBC, who said that they would cancel their holiday to Scotland.

I am by no means speaking to all Americans here, but I must say how pathetic this so-called boycott is, purely because the government released someone who may or may not have killed 270 people, who also had cancer.

The American government has undeniably directly been responsible for the killing of hundreds of thousands in the past, so the so-called American boycotters are in no position whatsoever to complain.
Reply 26
Quite a hilarity they don't even reach moral equivalents to Britain, nevermind about the rest of the world, they will kill millions yet criticise the release of a culprit from a comparably small incident. Not that this stupidity will have any effect at all on Scotland other than laughter.
paniking_and_not_revising
How stupid. They're idiots. It just confirms my belief that most Americans are dumb and ignorant.

You take the actions of two individuals to confirm that Americans are dumb and ignorant :lolwut: All that confirms is my belief that you are dumb and ignorant.
Reply 28
No matter what decision had been made, no matter if he was let out or kept in - there'd be some people annoyed.
yeah probably morons, i mean Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi was blatantly innocent anyway.
I (IMO) think it's more a case of spitting out the dummy.. the US asked for him not to be released, and yet when he was, it made the US feel small and powerless and tbh, I don't think they like it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8215556.stm

This guy helped to carry out the horrific My Lai massacre in Vietnam and received 3 years house arrest.

Yet al-Megrahi, who almost certainly didn't blow up an air-liner and is certainly going to die of cancer very soon has to stay in prison until the day he dies.

I appreciate that the American Government has to keep up appearances on this (after all, they paid some of the witnesses in the trial) but I really wish they'd shut up. Don't they have sovereign governments in Central America to overthrow or mujahadeen to train or something?
Scotland is the best :cool:
What's there to boycott? :awesome:
Reply 34
i just think the way the americans are reacting to this is weird - i mean i saw Billy ray cyrus (thats right - hannah montanna's father!) talking about this on the american news
the difference is that the americans are seeking revenge wheras the scottish are thinking about the overall affect on society - i mean he is going to die - its not like he is capable of doing it again
Reply 35
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
What's there to boycott? :awesome:

whisky, oatcakes... erm lol

seriously though - you can't mave at any major tourist attraction for american tourists so i think thats the sector their aiming for
that said i was in st andrews yesterday and it was just as busy with americans as it always has been so i dont think we're exactly talking about a majority here
Reply 36
Nothings going to happen as a result of this, it's just a couple of randoms spewing their nonsense across the internet as always, hell if you read to the bottom of that website it rambles on about how Britain is not secular and America is, for no apparent reason whatsoever. It's obviously not a very intelligent person who's created it.

Anyways theres one good thing to come out of this whole mess, the SNP government and Salmond will fall and we won't have that referendum on Scottish independence in 2010 they were rambling on about, good times. Always nice to see a nationalist party such as the SNP that has gained popularity via spending taxes raised elsewhere in the UK to benefit Scottish people, while simultaneously claiming they'd be better off independent, to destroy any credibility in itself.
Reply 37
0.0001% of the american population will boycott the few scottish products sold over there.
Reply 38
Boycotts against nations are inherently bigoted nonsense. It isn't the fault of Hootsmon Imported Scotch Shortbread Ltd, or indeed the rest of the people in Scotland, that a Minister made a decision about some obscure penal legislation.

There are a variety of different opinions in Scotland on this hotly debated subject. It's certainly not straightforward.

paniking_and_not_revising
How stupid. They're idiots. It just confirms my belief that most Americans are dumb and ignorant.

Go **** yourself.

amandacalifornia
interfere with Scottish sovereignty.

No such thing exists.
He's a dieing man, I completely fail to see why he shouldn't have his last couple of months with what freedom his illness allows.

Latest

Trending

Trending