The Student Room Group

Student Finance England = Piece of crap?

Scroll to see replies

alexclayton18
I applied on the date of the deadline (26th June) and they sent the forms for us to send off our evidence etc but they didnt send me an email to say they'd received it. In fact, ive not heard anything since the original email they sent to say that id applied. So I dont even know if theyve received the evidence. I start uni in 4 weeks and Im starting to get really worried, especially after hearing that some people who applied AFTER the deadline have already heard. Im going to call them next week but I dont suppose they'll tell me anything.

I appreciate that they've had a lot of applicants this year but this is unacceptable. I applied by the deadline and others who didnt have heard before me and im really annoyed :frown:

This just reminds me of EMA:frown:

I didi the same as alex; and spoke to a senior operative at Student Finance. He said that there not going to even look at the income assessed part of the loan/grant until everyone has the non-income assessed part:mad:

I mean if they can't handle the sheer no# of applications then advertise the fact that you need to apply in January to receive everything
It's **** but still better than having to take a loan from a bank.
Reply 22
Cultivated
Are you paying your accommodation from your own pocket or have you solved it with the university somehow? :s-smilie:

You can pay it our your pocket, or sort it out with them. I could do either, but I told them I'm waiting on the stud finance, and they said it wasn't a problem, as lots of people are in the same boat.
When I imgine student finance I think of this.

http://homeschoolwell.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/laughing-monkey.bmp

I really think watchdog should do some kind of expose on them, and the government and be blamed for all of this ****. I mean really, their probably spending £50 per applicant on administration... God knows how much that is in total. I think it would be much better to de-centralise the system; so you take your evidence to the local town hall and talk to someone face to face where you can bring all your evidence. The online portal is quite good so they could keep that.
Reply 24
They are useless! They should have kept the old system of using your own LEA! So much easier!
Reply 25
johnbergqvist
What's everybody's opinions on dealing with student finance england? in my case We've sent some forms to them (recorded delivery, which was confirmed), and they STILL (after 3 resends and several months later) havent processed it. in most cases theyve lost them. :mad: whats other peoples opinions?

same happened to me :tongue: they're terrible
Reply 26
if englands student finance is a "piece" of crap then Scotlands is the other piece. they are terrbile they know things fek up every year why not sort it out
Reply 27
Erechtheus
When I imgine student finance I think of this.

http://homeschoolwell.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/laughing-monkey.bmp

I really think watchdog should do some kind of expose on them, and the government and be blamed for all of this ****. I mean really, their probably spending £50 per applicant on administration... God knows how much that is in total. I think it would be much better to de-centralise the system; so you take your evidence to the local town hall and talk to someone face to face where you can bring all your evidence. The online portal is quite good so they could keep that.

Yeah me too... http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory
Reply 28
can someone please tell me how long they take to get back to you as i start next month
Reply 30
they need to get more staff and a better system. this is not working........... and as you might guess, I'm also in the mess (they keep asking for my signature despite sending them the declaration form with signature months ago- and I can't seem to contact them over the phone because their lines are busy and it automatically hangs up), I'm going on holiday tomorrow for a week and if it's not sorted by the time i get back I'll be seriously worried.
DaneCook
You can pay it our your pocket, or sort it out with them. I could do either, but I told them I'm waiting on the stud finance, and they said it wasn't a problem, as lots of people are in the same boat.

Ah, you're lucky. I'll try doing that since I am broke and waiting for student finance still. Don't think the uni will accept it, so I'll be without accommodation for a few months. :s-smilie:
DSC
can someone please tell me how long they take to get back to you as i start next month

No idea, definate more than 2 months; after that it's very much like a lottery:woo:
DSC

Ages. But it's ok, you don't need it all processed by the time you start. Just tell your university you've applied and you're waiting for it to be finalised.
BUNCH OF MUPPETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said.
Reply 35
herzblut
They are useless! They should have kept the old system of using your own LEA! So much easier!

I totally agree I have done my degree using my lea and they were fab, this year I am doing a PGCE in the new finance system and its awful so stressful!! I go back a week on monday and they have told me no chance of getting my finance on time. I have a child who has to go to a childminder and at the moment I have no idea how i am going to pay her!! I snet my application in on feb and since then they have just kept asking for more and more financial details!! I e-mailed my local mp about it and forwarded the e-mail to the guardian and the times after I was told as it turns out incorrectly that PGCE students aren't eligable for finance! The knew how many students would be applying they should have made sure they had enough fully trained staff to cope with the amount of applications!
I'm sorry, I can't look past the "I before E except after C"-based mistake in your thread title.
Reply 37
i applied way back in may, they received and confirmed my application on the 20th, they sent me some fcuking benefits form midway through june, i sent them a pissed off letter along with my parents' p60 etc for the SECOND time in the beginning of july, and the only news i hear from them is, send in your evidence or you ent getting nufink son.
luckily, i still have a month left, seeing where they have gotten me so far, i doubt that they're capable of doing that.. muppets.
Reply 38
i applied on the deadline and have had no probs so far
i didnt apply online sent forms in and got confirmation lat week of what am getting
if you have probs getting through on 0845 number try the landline one works every time
Reply 39
OK. So there are alot of applicants this year, but they know that more and more people are going to uni every year. They should be prepared for such high numbers. These government bodies are alot faster when they're taking money than when they give it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending