The Student Room Group

>> About Access To Higher Education Courses <<

Access To Higher Education

PLEASE NOT THIS GUIDE IS A LITTLE OUT OF DATE AND I SHALL BE UPDATING IT WITH THE CORRECT INFO VERY SOON!

Over the past few years, access courses have become one of the most popular routes of study for mature students (21yrs old+). This route of study has prepared and enabled a bigger chunk of society to attend university, Higher Education Colleges or benefit from some form of higher academic study.

The course is designed to fit around the lives of &#8216;mature students&#8217; and takes on a more flexible approach to study. This enables students with full time jobs to study whilst work and also takes into consideration other personal or family commitments.

So, you&#8217;ve decided you want to go back into education, but feel you may be &#8216;too old&#8217; or don&#8217;t know which &#8216;route&#8217; is the best way to get into university? Don&#8217;t panic! Many people are in the same boat as you!

Take a look at the FAQ below for additional information about Access To Higher Education Courses:

Am I too old?

No! In the world of access, there is no such thing as too old. Access To Higher Education courses are aimed at mature students, thus there is no &#8216;age limit&#8217;. Life experience is considered one of the most important aspects of access, which many mature students benefit from and can contribute to the group whilst on the course.

How Long Does The Course Take?

Whilst there is no set standard time frame for all access courses, as with traditional qualifications such as GCSEs or A&#8217; levels, you will find most courses last one year full time and two years on a part time/evening basis. There may be opportunities to extend the length of your course; however, this is down to each individual college. For further information regarding specific course duration, contact your local college for further information.

What Entry Requires Do I Need?

Usually, depending on the nature and area of access courses, no formal entry requirements are required. However, an interview and short admissions test may be required. Contact your local college for additional information.

When Does The Course Start?

Most courses start in September. However, part time/evening students may have opportunities to start in February/March.

How Much Does It Cost?

Many students get course fees paid for, unless they are in fulltime employment. Also, depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for financial help towards travel and child care, should you require it.

How Does The Grading System Work?

All Access To Higher Education Courses have a standard credit system of 60 credits (for the entire course), but have three grades of marking.

Fail: This speaks for itself.
Level 2: Level 2 is a general pass, but is classed as a lower pass. The level 2 award is equivalent of GCSE standard work.
Level 3: Level 3 is a high pass, which shows your understanding and knowledge of a subject in greater depth. The level 3 award is equivalent of A&#8217; level standard work.

As the course is designed to bring students to university level, it is beneficial for students to obtain as many level 3 awards as possible. Whilst allowances are made, due to the nature of the course and the flexible attitude which comes with it, a certain amount of level 3 awards are required to pass the access programme. Whilst re-sits of exams and coursework may be allowed in certain cases, it is strongly advised to seek the help of your tutor, should you find yourself struggling with level 3 assignments.

Can I Get Financial Support?

Usually, no. As the course is not a higher education qualification, there will be no entitlement to grants or loans. However, as mentioned previously in this post, certain financial support for travel and childcare may be available, should your circumstances require it.
Edit: It may also be worth mentioning that the Adult Learning Grant may be available to certain students. Click HERE for further information. (Thank you to Orli19 who sent me the extra info to include)

Do Universities Recognise Access?

Yes! Access To Higher Education has been around since the 1970s and is widely recognised by British universities. Currently, over twenty thousand access students apply to universities across the UK!

How Do I Get Started?

You simply contact your local college and ask about a list of access courses currently available. After you find a specific course which will accommodate your personal educational needs, contact the course admissions tutor to discuss your suitability for the course and take it from there. If the admissions tutor thinks you will benefit from the access course, he/she will send you an application form.

I hope this guide has been helpful and answered a few of your questions. However, should any of you require additional information, please feel free to send me a PM and I will do my best to answer any further questions you have. Also, keep an eye on this thread as I will try and update it as often as possible!

Good luck to all the people about to start access, I wish you the best of luck and hope you are successful in your studies!
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys,

There's a been a few threads about the Access Courses etc, with regards to what uni's you can and can't apply to, and whether or not it's well regarded.

I thought it might be helpful to open an advice thread.

My biggest piece of advice is to distinguish yourself as much as possible by emailing or writing to the admissions tutor for the department you hope to study at. Explain your situation, and ask how the university feels about Access courses. If you're feeling brave, ask for the opportunity to interview, too. It's so important to become a person with a name! It sounds obvious, but just going through the UCAS steps will mean you remain an unknown application form, out of thousands of others. Even with a particularly strong personal statement, your chances are infinitely increased if the person reading your form already knows who you are - and feels as though your form is there because of some advice they gave you in the first place.

There's no harm in short email updates; letting your admissions tutor know that you have completed the UCAS application and are looking forward to a reply - and thanking them for all their time, is a very polite way of reminding them that you exist!

I have just recieved a conditional offer from UCL, and am completely over the moon. I also know of a few others who have been accepted at Durham, Exeter and one at Cambridge, as well as University of Herts and Manchester Metropolitan.

I really feel like this course has given me a huge advantage in life. Yes, there are some bits that are a bit of a chore, like watching everyone learn how to use Excel or Powerpoint, but I'm more than happy to put up with it, and what's great about everyone being mature students is that those who are able to achieve level 3 maths easily have time to help those who are struggling.

If anyone else has some advice, or stories about their achievements, please feel free to share it here If you are considering applying to one, and would like any information from the point of view of a student, then don't hesitate to ask!

My course is one year, 2 evenings per week.
Manchester Met, Uni of Brighton, Sheffield Hallam, Leeds Met and London Met i applied to and the first four gave me conditional offers with an Access course (to have 60credits at level 3 generally you do 72credits overall) London Met i withdrew from.

My Access course is a one year daytime (monday afternoon 130-3 and all day tuesday and thursday which is 930-3) but it depends on the college most Access courses are run daytime though (so you need to consider this if you are working during day etc etc)

With regards to personal statements aim to write at an academic level though you will get advice from your personal tutor in your study skills class on how to do this and it will be rewritten several times trust me i did 5 personal statements and the end product was nothing like my original

In prospectus's and university websites their course information will indicate whether or not they take/accept Access courses (just as the course search function on the UCAS website does as well)
Reply 3
I haven't started my Access course yet, but I'll be doing 12pm-3pm three days a week, and 11-12 one day a week. I'm taking Quantative Methods, Chemistry and Human Biology, along with something called 'Toolbox' which apparently completes the HEFC.

I'm hoping to apply to Newcastle University to study Pharmacology. It seems almost every single university asks for 3 Distinctions as standard offer. I wonder how tough that will be to manage...
Reply 4
I have not started yet either with my Access course, hoping to start in Sept and have applied to take Biology and Chemistry. 3 days a week, Just waiting for the interviews which are in June! Fingers crossed! Hoping to get into Dental Hygiene in 2011. If not I will mostly likely do a degree in a medical field and maybe re apply afterwards. Trying to get work experience at the moment in the dentists.
James77
I have not started yet either with my Access course, hoping to start in Sept and have applied to take Biology and Chemistry. 3 days a week, Just waiting for the interviews which are in June! Fingers crossed! Hoping to get into Dental Hygiene in 2011. If not I will mostly likely do a degree in a medical field and maybe re apply afterwards. Trying to get work experience at the moment in the dentists.

I wish you the best of luck!
Trinket
I haven't started my Access course yet, but I'll be doing 12pm-3pm three days a week, and 11-12 one day a week. I'm taking Quantative Methods, Chemistry and Human Biology, along with something called 'Toolbox' which apparently completes the HEFC.

I'm hoping to apply to Newcastle University to study Pharmacology. It seems almost every single university asks for 3 Distinctions as standard offer. I wonder how tough that will be to manage...

It's an interesting thing, this distinction/merit/pass situation.

I've gone through the humanities route and I think that means that the level we achieve is far more subjective than perhaps yours will be, where (I'm again assuming) answers are usually right or wrong.

The course is structured well for students returning to study, so the pace is very much set to break you in, as opposed to throw you in. There are also a certain amount of re-submission opportunities in order for you to raise your level.

Hope that goes some way to make you feel more confident about it :smile:
Hey guys, someone I know told me about these access courses but I'd never heard of them before, so I was wondering if you'd think it would be the right course for me to do?

I'm 19 atm, and when I left school I did 3 years of Btec, and I do have the qualifications to go to uni but I could only do something horse or animal related (as this is what I studied on the Btec courses) but I would rather have a wider range of options for what I could study at uni.
So at a local college they have a part time 2 year access course, and their site says it includes: English, Maths, IT, Literature, History, Pshycology, Chemistry, Biology and Sociology (though I'm wondering if you study all of those subjects or just choose a few because it seems a lot haha).

So basically I was thinking it would be good to do that course so I have more options of what I could do at uni, and also I think it would be good to brush up on things like English, Maths, Science etc. (Well we did do some English and Maths on the Btec courses but it was mega simple haha).

Sorry for the massive essay :biggrin:
thevelvetonion
Hey guys, someone I know told me about these access courses but I'd never heard of them before, so I was wondering if you'd think it would be the right course for me to do?

I'm 19 atm, and when I left school I did 3 years of Btec, and I do have the qualifications to go to uni but I could only do something horse or animal related (as this is what I studied on the Btec courses) but I would rather have a wider range of options for what I could study at uni.
So at a local college they have a part time 2 year access course, and their site says it includes: English, Maths, IT, Literature, History, Pshycology, Chemistry, Biology and Sociology (though I'm wondering if you study all of those subjects or just choose a few because it seems a lot haha).

So basically I was thinking it would be good to do that course so I have more options of what I could do at uni, and also I think it would be good to brush up on things like English, Maths, Science etc. (Well we did do some English and Maths on the Btec courses but it was mega simple haha).

Sorry for the massive essay :biggrin:

No you dont do all those subjects you choose a pathway to study

if you want to work in say a hospital you generally do the science subjects like human biology social policy bla bla
if you want to work in media, teaching bla bla you choose the humanties pathway
Business oriented you do the business studies and IT pathway

your best bet is to speak to your local college that runs the course and they will advise you on the pathway more suited to what you eventually would like to go onto university to study further.
Reply 9
hi, I want to go to university to study a business degree, but its been quite a few years since I was at college and so I've been trying to find out about access courses. I gather you're supposed to choose a particular pathway relating to your degree the problem is I can't find any colleges near me that offer a business pathway. Is it possible to choose another pathway, humanities for instance, and still get on to a business course?
A guy on my Humanities and Social Sciences course picked Psychology and Sociology and he's been offered several places to study Business :smile:
Reply 11
Many of the Access courses offer 'combined studies' pathway, where you can pick the modules that suit you best.
Ahh okay thanks! I didn't realise you had to choose a pathway. I'm thinking I would prefer to do the science subjects. Yeah I guess I will just go and speak to the college then, I think they have an open evening in a couple of months.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the part time course is 2 evenings a week, for 2 years. Is anyone here on a full time 1 year course? How many days a week are you in college? I still thik I'd be better part time but jsut wondering lol.
Reply 13
Thank you.
thevelvetonion
Ahh okay thanks! I didn't realise you had to choose a pathway. I'm thinking I would prefer to do the science subjects. Yeah I guess I will just go and speak to the college then, I think they have an open evening in a couple of months.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the part time course is 2 evenings a week, for 2 years. Is anyone here on a full time 1 year course? How many days a week are you in college? I still thik I'd be better part time but jsut wondering lol.

Hi,

It's certainly best to pick your pathway first. Usually there's a science option, and a humanities based option.

Ask your college about the lengh of the course they offer. At mine there was a 1 year full time, 2 year part time and ALSO a 1 year PART time, that relied on you passing a level 3 test before hand - and was more assignement (essay) based.

I certainly think it'd be a good option for you, as long as you have a clear(ish) idea about what it is you want to study at university (not a course requirement, but it will be a massive help for you and your tutors in helping cater your choices to make you as attractive as possible to the best possible university offering your course).

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 15
i want to apply to pharmacy with an access course in science however most of the unis i have spoke to said that they would set a typical offer of 90% pass for my course. this seem scary because 90% is very high and it means if i get less than that then i will have to apply through extra/clearing to get a place on a different course with a pharmacy personal statement.

how hard will 90%pass be IYO?
Sounds standard for pharmacy, medicine, or dentistry. I know people who have got through with distinctions throughout. I'd give it a shot if pharmacy is what you want.

Don't worry about the clearing-pharmacy personal statement issue. Lots of people change their mind on which courses to apply for - if any university is bothered about the PS they might ask you to send a rewritten version directly to them but most won't ask for this.
Your offer will most probably be a pass in your access course with distinctions overall (i.e. an average of 70%, not 90%). If you need any more advice feel free to PM me. Good luck!
anon2010
i want to apply to pharmacy with an access course in science however most of the unis i have spoke to said that they would set a typical offer of 90% pass for my course. this seem scary because 90% is very high and it means if i get less than that then i will have to apply through extra/clearing to get a place on a different course with a pharmacy personal statement.

how hard will 90%pass be IYO?

Wow, that seems ridiculously high. I'm currently on the Durham foundation year and the guys who are going on to do medicine only need 70% in each module so that seems seriously excessive. Are you sure that's what they said?
Hi everyone,

I am looking to get back in to education after being out for a few years, i am now 23 and since leaving secondary all i have completed education wise is a BTEC Certificate in Telecommunications with a Distinction and a mighty NVQ 2 level to in Business Administration :frown:

I really want to get in to law and have been looking at completing an access course, Brunel says they accept an access course as long as you get a distinction in 3 key modules but when looking at college websites it doesn't really mention distinctions, just points??

Can anyone give me a hand in getting back in to education please :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending