The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Ingrowing
It's infected. You've probably managed to pull off the bit on the side of the nail.

The green is pus collecting under the skin. Leave it, and it'll probably pop by itself in a day or so, or you could sterilise a needle and do it yourself, though you need to be very careful when you do it :smile:
Reply 3
psychocustard
It's infected. You've probably managed to pull off the bit on the side of the nail.

The green is pus collecting under the skin. Leave it, and it'll probably pop by itself in a day or so, or you could sterilise a needle and do it yourself, though you need to be very careful when you do it :smile:

Make sure to disinfect it after it pops to prevent it from getting infected and happening again.
Yes, it looks infected in a very similar way to how a ingrowing toenail does. Try soaking in hot salty water, and see if you can remove the peice of nail or whatever it is that is causing the infection. It should go away soon if not then it is worth going to see the GP in a week or so to see if they can help remove the cause of the infection or clear it up with antibiotics.
Anonymous
Any have any idea what could be causing this? My thumb has been swollen for about a week now and today I noticed its a bit green under the skin by the nail.

Photo:

Spoiler

It hurts a bit but not massivly. Any ideas?

Go see your GP. You should soak in warm salty water 4-5 times a day, and get yourself a short course of antibiotics.

What you have is called Paronychia (infection of nail bed). The green is usually cause by a certain bug called pseudomonas.

Dr Jamie
agree with jamie , it's beyond home treatment in my opinion and home treatment is something which i am loathe to advise to anyone anyway in favour of it being assessed face to face

GP or walk-in-centre time ...

Latest