Ooooh pick me! *waves hand madly in the air* :biggrin:

I've been waiting for this thread to start for a while :ninja:

On a more serious note, I think I'm applying to:
Birmingham
Nottingham
Durham
Royal Holloway
Sheffield

Well this is the current plan anyway, need to speak to admissions people at Durham and visit Royal Holloway, but I'm pretty sure about the others. Where are you thinking of applying? :smile:
Hey peeps! Great to read there's more budding musos out there! Good luck with all of your applications! :smile:
CathMo
I'm hoping to go this year too :smile:
This year am only applying to Oxford and Durham (i have my oxford choral scholarship audition next week :frown: nervous!!!! )
But if they fail (which I think they might), I am going to have a gap year and apply for 2011 entry to
- Durham
- Edinburugh
- York
- Birmingham
- and I can't chose a fourth.........
Good luck to everyone x

Oooh, good luck! Will have my fingers crossed for you! Which college? :smile:
Reply 4
Good luck guys! Have a look at manc (we're 4th for music now i believe :biggrin:) and if anyone wants and help just ask :smile:
Reply 5
Hey
I'm applying for
-LIPA
-LCM (popular music studies)
-Goldsmiths
-Dartington
so far...

Good Luck to yous all x
Is anyone else applying for a contemporary degree? I'm totally nervous about auditions! My first instrument is piano but it's hard finding contemporary pieces that aren't really minimalist or experimental or whatever... was thinking of just playing an arrangement of something, but I have no idea what somewhere like LIPA is looking for in a pianist :confused:
Reply 6
Clarinet player applying for:

RCM
RAM (maybe)
TCM (maybe)
Guildhall (maybe)

And failing all of those I'll apply to some unis I guess. I know that's a lot of unknowns, haha but I'm hopeful of the conservatoires. :smile:
Kerbiggaboo
Clarinet player applying for:

RCM
RAM (maybe)
TCM (maybe)
Guildhall (maybe)

And failing all of those I'll apply to some unis I guess. I know that's a lot of unknowns, haha but I'm hopeful of the conservatoires. :smile:

Ooooh another clarinettist :biggrin: I'm not good enough for a conservatoire, and would rather do a traditional music degree anyway, but good luck to you! :smile:
Niomi
Hey
I'm applying for
-LIPA
-LCM (popular music studies)
-Goldsmiths
-Dartington
so far...

Good Luck to yous all x
Is anyone else applying for a contemporary degree? I'm totally nervous about auditions! My first instrument is piano but it's hard finding contemporary pieces that aren't really minimalist or experimental or whatever... was thinking of just playing an arrangement of something, but I have no idea what somewhere like LIPA is looking for in a pianist :confused:

When you say contemporary piece, does that just mean in the 20th/21st century? If so, you could try some Gershwin arrangements? There's a book called something like 'George Gershwin at the piano', used it when I was trying to pick pieces for my diploma. Lots of nice stuff in there :smile:
Reply 9
I have no idea what somewhere like LIPA is looking for in a pianist

This may not be accurate but I have heard that LIPA look for much more rounded candidates, as they regard the course as preparation for a career in the music industry rather than necessarily as a performer. So, your application should big up any experience you have in organising and promoting gigs/events, recording, musical theatre etc. LIPA is not only or even mainly about your first study ability.
Reply 10
I'm glad I've come back to this thread and it isn't empty :P

I'm probably applying to:
Oxford (Worcester College)
Birmingham
Nottingham
KCL
Sheffield

Good to see some people considering similar places :smile:
clarinetplayer92
Ooooh another clarinettist :biggrin: I'm not good enough for a conservatoire, and would rather do a traditional music degree anyway, but good luck to you! :smile:

Thanks for the luck, same to you! I chose conservatoires because I love to play. A lot. :smile:

Clarinet player from Kent?:eek: I used to live in Kent.:smile:
Kerbiggaboo
Thanks for the luck, same to you! I chose conservatoires because I love to play. A lot. :smile:

Clarinet player from Kent?:eek: I used to live in Kent.:smile:

Sounds good, I don't think I'd be able to take the amount of practice either, ah well, I'll be a lot happier studying the more academic side of music anyway!

Oh cool, where abouts in Kent? Not that I would ever of met you or anything, only know clarinettists in my school tbh :smile:
Reply 13
I'm a mature student trying to get into Birmingham Conservatoire on the Jazz course.

Struggling at the moment to get my Cukas application finsihed for 1st October!
I'm hoping to do Music Management, along those lines at uni next year;
- Southampton Soldent
- University of Glouchestshire
- University of East London
- London Met
- Buckinghamshire

Anyone else planning to music management?
clarinetplayer92
Sounds good, I don't think I'd be able to take the amount of practice either, ah well, I'll be a lot happier studying the more academic side of music anyway!

Oh cool, where abouts in Kent? Not that I would ever of met you or anything, only know clarinettists in my school tbh :smile:

Canterbury. Don't worry, I didn't know that many other clarinet players either. Seems I went to the wrong school as well, Simon Langton was the one with all the musical talent... :frown:
Kerbiggaboo
Canterbury. Don't worry, I didn't know that many other clarinet players either. Seems I went to the wrong school as well, Simon Langton was the one with all the musical talent... :frown:

How odd, I live really near to Canterbury and have friends at Simon Langton, defo was the place to be, which school did you go to? I'm at FSG, although we have got a pretty immense music department :biggrin: It's just the lack of brass and string players that's a problem :sigh:
Well I went to Royal Holloway yesterday, and tbh I was really disappointed, didn't think the department even vaguely compared to Birmingham, Nottingham and Sheffield :frown:
So now need to pick another choice, anyone know anything about Music at Bristol? Thanks! :smile:
clarinetplayer92
Well I went to Royal Holloway yesterday, and tbh I was really disappointed, didn't think the department even vaguely compared to Birmingham, Nottingham and Sheffield :frown:
So now need to pick another choice, anyone know anything about Music at Bristol? Thanks! :smile:

Apparently they're quite big on 20th century music/composition, or at least that was what I was told by a friend who was there from 2005-2008 :yes:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Apparently they're quite big on 20th century music/composition, or at least that was what I was told by a friend who was there from 2005-2008 :yes:

Oh right, hmmm I'll have to think about that then, not really the biggest fan of 20th century music, much prefer a bit of Bach! Also not really a composer :s-smilie:

Any other suggestions for a 5th choice? :smile:

Latest