The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ac132
League Tables are very misleading, I remember Bristol being about 20th in one, which is low for an amazing uni! Look at the graduate prospects, and the course - if it suits you, then go for it.

If i remember rightly Bristol suffered because of the NSS results, which they did very poorly in. Manchester have the same problem.

Heres the low ranked unis i've heard good things about:
Nottingham Trent
Northumbria
Lincoln
Oxford Brookes
Portsmouth

Obviously it's just hearsay and talk but it is stuff i've picked up during conversations with employers in both the NHS and private business, and from acting on an interview panel for applicants to an NHS lab job.

I will admit bias on the subject of Lincoln as i got my first degree there, but i have been told good things by employers, and on top of that they have made significant rises in all 4 league tables off the back of the RAE, and are top 30 for student satisfaction.
my local one (Hertfordshire) has absolutely lept up the rankings in recent years,

I think they claim it's the highest climber out of any university
Reply 62
i-Citizen
Leicester pawns DMU :ninja:

I kid :biggrin:

Out of topic slightly, but what's it like in that library? (your sig)

Leicester was my insurance choice you see, and there are times when I wonder if I might have been better off going there, but if I HAD gone there, I'd be wondering the same thing about Southampton. So I am curious to what Leicester is like, even if I'm not going there :ninja:
Reply 63
Eddie_90
my local one (Hertfordshire) has absolutely lept up the rankings in recent years,

I think they claim it's the highest climber out of any university

I know a lot of people going there, it is horribly underrated by the tables.
i-Citizen
University of Leicester is spending 1 billion pounds isnt it :smile: bloody 1 billion, so if I were to go with what others are saying, money = success then Leicester is going to be the best right :biggrin: It doesnt work like that people but money does help get rid of old things and build new infrastructure, nothing more nothing less...

Oh £32 million pounds library in my signature btw :cookie:

It's not just the uni but Leicester itself which is undergoing monumental investment. I lived in Leicester 4 years ago and it was a pretty dreary, miserable place, however i went back for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was astonished. The new shopping centre and surrounding areas are wonderful now and there seems to be new buildings popping up left, right and centre.

It's all part of a drive to make Leicester the major city of the East Midlands as opposed to Nottingham.
Reply 65
Cadge
I know a lot of people going there, it is horribly underrated by the tables.

Correct. Hertfordshire is an amazing university. I was visiting my aunty who lives in the area and decided to go to an open day when I was there. I had been to open days for my local uni Newcastle and I can honestly day, Hertfordshire outshone it by miles. The facilities, the staff, literally everything about it.

Roll on Sept :biggrin:
Reply 66
i-Citizen
Its AMAZING, thats all I have to say, but the Library just doesnt define Leicester, everything else does. You are so going to miss out lol

Im only joking, im trying to prove to my mind that I made the right choice, Leicester over Royal Holloway lol

How comes you went southampton and what are you doing over there...?

I'm doing Film and English. And tbh, I have no good reason, oh the shame!

Academically, they're both about equal and Leicester seemed really nice when I went and when I saw the area where the accomodation was I couldbn't beleive my eyes...

I think it was because at the time I was amazed a Uni whose typical offer was AAB had made me an offer, while leicester had offered BBB so I didn't really have a choice but to put it as my insurance.

Lots of people probably disagree...but Leicester's entry requirements are too modest...I think I was under the impression that a course whose typical offer is AAB would be better than one which is BBB, but I now know that's not always the case...

But, I had to pick one and I chose Southampton, I'll always have respect for Leicester though.
Reply 67
ooga
Correct. Hertfordshire is an amazing university. I was visiting my aunty who lives in the area and decided to go to an open day when I was there. I had been to open days for my local uni Newcastle and I can honestly day, Hertfordshire outshone it by miles. The facilities, the staff, literally everything about it.

Roll on Sept :biggrin:

It has the best range of courses I've ever seen. Doesn't just stick to traditional subjects, it does nearly everything AND does them in combined honours as well. You wanna study it? Hertfordshire almost definetly has it!
Reply 68
Cadge
It has the best range of courses I've ever seen. Doesn't just stick to traditional subjects, it does nearly everything AND does them in combined honours as well. You wanna study it? Hertfordshire almost definetly has it!

It's also 17th in the UK for best starting Salaries :biggrin:

"Of the 2010 league tables published so far the University of Hertfordshire was ranked 66th overall in The Times Good University Guide,[10] which is a 13 place rise from the previous year. 45th overall by the Independent,"
Reply 69
17th in UK for best starting salary eh...?

Source please...? I have 2 friends who just graduated from there with 2.1s, a year on and they still cant find a job, so stats sometimes means jack all. The area looks boring though, near St Albans, but I have to confess the amount of money they have put in to make the buildings look nice and modern, I love it :biggrin: And its quite spacious, open and green isnt it...but employers still have a negative view of it, thats not my words by the way, theyre those of people who have graduated.
Reply 70
i-Citizen
17th in UK for best starting salary eh...?

Source please...? I have 2 friends who just graduated from there with 2.1s, a year on and they still cant find a job, so stats sometimes means jack all. The area looks boring though, near St Albans, but I have to confess the amount of money they have put in to make the buildings look nice and modern, I love it :biggrin: And its quite spacious, open and green isnt it...but employers still have a negative view of it, thats not my words by the way, theyre those of people who have graduated.

Times Good Uni guide 2010 :smile: Edit: I agree that the staff don't have much of a good view of some parts of the course, for example, and I went to the seminar of Acting and Screen Performance (Which looks more at acting in movies rather than on stage etc etc). The leader of the course said they scrapped the initial drama course because it seemed pointless as none of the people who graduated actually made it without going to a drama uni - however, the current male lead in Wicked (one of the most successful musicals ever) graduated from the Drama course at Herts :s-smilie:
ooga
It's also 17th in the UK for best starting Salaries :biggrin:

Aren't those starting salaries tables heavily biased towards London and surrounding area unis though? I remember someone saying TVU was higher than Cambridge or something silly like that.

Not that i'm having a pop at Hertfordshire mind, i've been there to visit my cousin and it was awesome. The amount of investment going on is incredible, there were some really beautiful modern buildings.

EDIT: Just found the table and it was LSB, not TVU. There does look to be a clear London/Southern bias considering 8 of the top 15 are London based and Edinburgh (15th) is the only northern uni in there.
Source: http://timesonline.typepad.com/schoolgate/2009/06/top-universities-by-graduate-starting-salary.html
City London University? :P
JW92
Yeah but Harvard don't advertise themselves in the Hollyoaks ad break.

Yeah but Cambridge ask script writers to incorporate them into the story of Eastenders.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2008/sep/02/accesstouniversity.cambridgeuniversity

That's advertising to me, it's just a bit more indirect.
Reply 74
I think there's a difference between advertising and marketing, if only in the subtleties. Also you have to be aware of context; most universities don't do telly adverts so the ones that do stand out, and not always for the right reasons.
megaduck
I think there's a difference between advertising and marketing, if only in the subtleties. Also you have to be aware of context; most universities don't do telly adverts so the ones that do stand out, and not always for the right reasons.

I think this is right. There's just something strange about universities advertising on tele, however if i see them in national newspapers or on a website (i've seen hertfordshire advertised on TSR) i don't think anything of it.
When i saw Lincoln (my old uni) advertised on TV the other day it did make me cringe, at least DMU made a good advert for theirs.
Reply 76
Drugs do pay well.

Answering the question...I think you should all go to promising Universities and tell me what it is like, the simple fact is if you are doing competitive subjects, the University will matter a lot, for instance 1st from Oxford will look better than a 1st from Bangor to a prestigious employer, simply because it is harder to get into Oxford.
Reply 77
Max I
Drugs do pay well.

Answering the question...I think you should all go to promising Universities and tell me what it is like, the simple fact is if you are doing competitive subjects, the University will matter a lot, for instance 1st from Oxford will look better than a 1st from Bangor to a prestigious employer, simply because it is harder to get into Oxford.

Although I wont deny that a degree from a top uni will increase your chances of getting a job, this can only apply if its soley based on the degree and nothing else.

I know a few people that because they were at a "lower" uni were open to more oportunities such as helping with research over the summer. They therefore got their name on their 1st paper which if you are planning on going into research is a massive bonus. So now you have top 10 uni vs lower uni + published paper / industry experience whatever. That is not so clear cut :smile:

Problem is you have to go out of your way to do it, alot of people dont and so its no so obvious :cool:
Birmingham is heavily underrated
MMU is liek the top uni in Britain.

Latest

Trending

Trending