The Student Room Group

Lower ranked Universities that look promising

I posted this thread because;
1) I'm very bored, and I've seen this episode of South Park I'm watching a thousand times
2) It's tiring seeing Unis that aren't ranked so highly in the league tables getting slated by the fairly typical egotistical minority of TSR, I thought It'd be good to see some recognition for these newer Unis for a change.

I'll start; Last night I saw an advert for DMU, I've never seen a Uni advertised on the television before so I don't know how often this is done, but kudos to them, as it was extremely well made. Say what you want about Unis having to advertise to gain recognition, but It does work and I know that they are quite well-renowned for their creative art courses and quite a lot of people I know have applied there so I think its popularity is growing fast.

Call me crazy, but I have a feeling that some of DMU courses are going to be competing with the standards of the University of Leicester in the distant, but not too distant future.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think Cambridge is alot better than people on TSR give it credit for..
Reply 2
^ LOL.
On average, London South Bank graduates have a higher starting salary than Cambridge graduates.
Reply 3
Well its a lot slicker than their previous attempt.
Reply 4
Yeah, but if they're advertising, it tends to imply they're desperate for applicants - the kind of applicant who'd see a TV advert and think "Oh, I'll apply there then".
Reply 5
Sheffield Hallam seems to be looking on the up... from what i've heard lots of new investment is being pumped in.
Reply 6
JW92
Yeah, but if they're advertising, it tends to imply they're desperate for applicants - the kind of applicant who'd see a TV advert and think "Oh, I'll apply there then".

:rolleyes: You think they expect people to apply because of a TV advert? It's to attract a user to then go and look at the uni, who might have before considered it.
Reply 7
If you need to advertise then you're crap.
Reply 8
JW92

The University league tables, the general criticism of polytechnics, and the young age of the institution gives it very little choice. At least it gives it a chance to show off what it can do with the technology it's funded for.
Reply 9
Nahro
Sheffield Hallam seems to be looking on the up... from what i've heard lots of new investment is being pumped in.

Yeah, they've got the Hoosiers playing at their Freshers Ball, lucky ***** :frown: (unrelated, I know, but still...lol)
i hate league tables :shifty:

ignore them
Reply 11
Nahro

To be fair, plenty of universities are investing (and, in some cases, need to invest). Newcastle, Manchester, Durham and at least two or three others are investing anything from £100 - £300 million in these next few years.

I'm not saying Sheffield Hallam isn't "on the up" or doesn't have potential to improve (not that it's a bad instituion). But that they are spending money doesn't mean that this will translate in success. Especially if other universities are spending similar amounts (and it's not just about how much you spend but how efficiently you invest).

JW92

Jingers
If you need to advertise then you're crap.

So Harvard are crap? What about Yale? Wharton (UPenn's business school). In terms of UK universities then LSE, Durham? All of these "advertise" or promote themselves both nationally and internationally in one way or another.
Reply 12
River85
So Harvard are crap? What about Yale? Wharton (UPenn's business school). In terms of UK universities then LSE, Durham? All of these "advertise" or promote themselves both nationally and internationally in one way or another.

Yeah but Harvard don't advertise themselves in the Hollyoaks ad break.
Reply 13
River85
To be fair, plenty of universities are investing (and, in some cases, need to invest). Newcastle, Manchester, Durham and at least two or three others are investing anything from £100 - £300 million in these next few years.

I'm not saying Sheffield Hallam isn't "on the up" or doesn't have potential to improve (not that it's a bad instituion). But that they are spending money doesn't mean that this will translate in success. Especially if other universities are spending similar amounts (and it's not just about how much you spend but how efficiently you invest).

:yawn: you know what I meant.
Reply 14
Well universities are ranked in comparison with each other, I guess...so it's very likely there are lower ranked universities that are 'promising'.. just because other universities are better it doesn't mean it's not good, y'know? :P
Reply 15
JW92
Yeah but Harvard don't advertise themselves in the Hollyoaks ad break.

Well, during Hollyoaks, the audience ratings for that channel would be large and hovering around the average age of people looking to go to University soon, so that is actually one of the best times to advertise a University...

Media Studies FTW lol
asd
Reply 17
bad unis are bad. good unis are good. Hence league tables. Quit being homos.
JW92

QFT.
Reply 19
Yeah I must agree that DMU looked appealing. Although in person it's much more grey and dreary (in my opinion).

Latest

Trending

Trending