The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I didn't give much credence to Leicester until I visited during clearing. Within an hour I knew that it was somewhere I wanted to be.

People often overlook it because it's the in middle of the country, and thus too close to most major cities to be a traditional university experience for some. On top of that, nobody's heard of it, despite it now being in the top 20 of both Times league tables.

Definitely heavily underrated and overlooked.
Reply 81
Heriot-Watt University
Reply 82
Aphotic Cosmos
I didn't give much credence to Leicester until I visited during clearing. Within an hour I knew that it was somewhere I wanted to be.

People often overlook it because it's the in middle of the country, and thus too close to most major cities to be a traditional university experience for some. On top of that, nobody's heard of it, despite it now being in the top 20 of both Times league tables.

Definitely heavily underrated and overlooked.

It's ranked in the top 20. I understand the need to big up one's university but "heavily underrated and overlooked" is a bit of a stretch.
achard
It's ranked in the top 20. I understand the need to big up one's university but "heavily underrated and overlooked" is a bit of a stretch.

I couldn't resist :p:

OK, but it is overlooked despite having consistently improved in the last 10 years.
Reply 84
Aphotic Cosmos
I couldn't resist :p:

OK, but it is overlooked despite having consistently improved in the last 10 years.

I suspect that the "problem" with certain traditional universities such as Leicester (and Hull, Bradford, Salford, and perhaps to a lesser extent the larger traditionals, such Birmingham, Nottingham, Glasgow etc) is that universities are sometimes associated with locations, and given the (southern middle class white English?) stereotypes of certain locations the overall impression of the university is tarnished.

Having grown up in the north, and then having lived for several years in the south, I've definitely come across a snobbery towards particular northern locations (even though they haven't been visited by the snobs).
Reply 85
i-Citizen
Your putting the University of Leicester into the same bracket as Hull, Bradford and Salford?

Yes the southern people maybe snobbish about northern universities, but they certainly dont think like that for the University of Leicester. Isnt it always in the top 20 in all league tables, worlds top 200 universities, university of the year, dna fingerprinting was discovered here, only space thingy in the country lol...as someone whos going Leicester this year, Im outraged :cookie:

Look how beautiful our library is below :biggrin:

I'm putting the cities in the same bracket, and saying how a perception of the cities tarnishes the perception of the universities. Without a doubt, there are people in the south that are snobbish towards cities in the north, which have history of being less affluent.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with any of the universities I have mentioned, and wouldn't dream of differentiating them based on league table performance. Let's be honest, Leicester doesn't have a history of being a "top 20" university - it's probably spent more time in the 20-30s than it has in the top 20. This isn't to say that the university is bad, but its a case of saying that appeals to league tables should either be ignored, or at least put in context.
Reply 86
DMUs certainly on the up. Not that I think it will ever become top 25 material or anything, but certainly alot higher than now. Lincoln seems to be slowly but surely moving up in the world too.
Reply 88
Blooroo
I'm putting the cities in the same bracket, and saying how a perception of the cities tarnishes the perception of the universities. Without a doubt, there are people in the south that are snobbish towards cities in the north, which have history of being less affluent.

I may be misunderstand you but...are you suggesting Leicester is a Northern town? :eek:
Reply 89
persian.royalty
^ LOL.
On average, London South Bank graduates have a higher starting salary than Cambridge graduates.

Woah, really? I need to go there :biggrin:
Reply 90
Jingers
If you need to advertise then you're crap.

You mean like Huddersfield with their gay Patrick Stewert advert?

Or University of Teeside?

Well I'm going to Hull, not very well recognised like, mainly down to the fact, it's in Hull! Actually quite a good Uni!
Reply 91
Simon117
I may be misunderstand you but...are you suggesting Leicester is a Northern town? :eek:

You are right in pointing out my sloppy geography. My general point relates to those who understand that which is not southern as northern. When debates about the north-south divide come up, I don't think people conceptualise the the midlands as being more affluent than the north, but less affluent than the south. A simple south-north binary is introduced (regardless of how accurate this binary is).
Blooroo
You are right in pointing out my sloppy geography. My general point relates to those who understand that which is not southern as northern. When debates about the north-south divide come up, I don't think people conceptualise the the midlands as being more affluent than the north, but less affluent than the south. A simple south-north binary is introduced (regardless of how accurate this binary is).

That is very true, all of my relatives live in and around London and they consider anything above Watford as northern, in fact, it's often the same in the media. Somehow the Midlands always seems to get forgotten as a region in its own right.
Reply 93
hoonosewot
That is very true, all of my relatives live in and around London and they consider anything above Watford as northern, in fact, it's often the same in the media. Somehow the Midlands always seems to get forgotten as a region in its own right.

I've come across that blasted Watford quote time and time again.
Reply 94
hoonosewot
Somehow the Midlands always seems to get forgotten as a region in its own right.

True that. And yet the Midlands is stuffed to bursting with rather fine universities.
NDGAARONDI
Yeah but Cambridge ask script writers to incorporate them into the story of Eastenders.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2008/sep/02/accesstouniversity.cambridgeuniversity

That's advertising to me, it's just a bit more indirect.

EastEnders clearly paid no attention to anything Oxford or Cambridge said to them. There were huge flaws in that storyline :s-smilie:

:biggrin:
Reply 96
Liverpool Hope University is perhaps one of the lowest ranked university but I would recomend it! Good Times. Going into 4th year now studying a BA QTS with ASEY (Subject Leader). Currently sitting on a 2:1
Chichester's really beginning to become well known - good student satisfaction, good employment rates, very good resources, lovely campus (actually two) and entry requirements are increasing year on year showing its new found popularity. The RAE result doesn't help them but being one of the smallest unis in the country, it'll never compare to the big boys & the staff there know that. Doesn't stop them striving for more and the VC is really really pushing the university forward :smile:
Reply 98
hannah17clg
City London University? :P

I've heard loads of good things about their journalism department actually. Best in the country apparently.
Liverpool John Moores University. Anyone? Its very industry orientated and they have WoW (World of Work) skills built into each programme which can help with employability . I'm doing Journalism there.

Latest

Trending

Trending