The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

crazy_smurf
i corrected my mistake before, just a random moment of madness :p:
3000 places? :wink:

Applicants *shhh* as I said 216 places
Oxbridge and Imperial I would have thought :rolleyes:
ShinyShiny
They rejected my year without interview or explanation. Maybe they are looking for really specific stuff in the PS?

That happened at my school to a few people in the year above me, really random :s-smilie:
Oh and also Edinburgh, possibly? Due to competing with Scottish applicants (free tuition an obvious benefit for them) and also the fact they don't interview?
ShinyShiny
They rejected my year without interview or explanation. Maybe they are looking for really specific stuff in the PS?

I think they must weigh quite heavily toward PS because I've noticed ppl with realitvely poor (for a med applicant) GCSE's getting interveiws and offers.

My ps was very... unique... not at all like anyone else in my years, but believe it or not every medical applicant at my school got places this year. including an oxford medic.. its seems so random... :s-smilie:

I have no idea why I got an interveiw at bristol.. let alone an offer (tho the offer was given very late in the cycle... 7th april... past the deadline...)

I think someone worked out how long it would take to asses every application fairly, and its impossible.
I didn't apply there, but Bristol were really weird with my year at school as well. Moral of the story: Bristol are hard as nails init :headfire:
Moronic Acid
This is true at my school (in the most part)

It doesn't change the fact that the academic achievements of the Cambridge applicants I met at my interviews there were higher (on average) than those of the UCL and Imperial applicants I met at those interviews

Of course this is only anecdotal 'evidence' for my earlier point

I thought they all had average offers of AAB? I just remembered that Cambridge also gives out of the 5A offers and things like that. Yeah, you are right, god only knows what is going on in my head.

When do you move to ICL?
rainbowbex
I think they must weigh quite heavily toward PS because I've noticed ppl with realitvely poor (for a med applicant) GCSE's getting interveiws and offers.

My ps was very... unique... not at all like anyone else in my years, but believe it or not every medical applicant at my school got places this year. including an oxford medic.. its seems so random... :s-smilie:

I have no idea why I got an interveiw at bristol.. let alone an offer (tho the offer was given very late in the cycle... 7th april... past the deadline...)

I think someone worked out how long it would take to asses every application fairly, and its impossible.

So what you do you think they look at to disregard sooo many able candidates (aside from throwing all the ucas forms in the air and binning those that land face down :p:) from what it looks like it isn't grades and obv not ukcat.
Reply 28
Edinburgh, Bristol, So'ton...
crazy_smurf
So what you do you think they look at to disregard sooo many able candidates (aside from throwing all the ucas forms in the air and binning those that land face down :p:) from what it looks like it isn't grades and obv not ukcat.

Is it possible to rank you by UMS? Although I am never quite sure if they can find out the UMS.
ShinyShiny
I thought they all had average offers of AAB? I just remembered that Cambridge also gives out of the 5A offers and things like that. Yeah, you are right, god only knows what is going on in my head.

When do you move to ICL?

At Cambridge? All the offers for medicine i've seen were at least AAA

tbf though - compared to the people I talked to at UCL/Imperial, the other applicants I met at Cambridge were pretty lame (except for one - and he's coming to Imperial anyway :biggrin:)
This could be purely down to the college though . . . :ninja:

3rd October - you?
Moronic Acid
This is true at my school (in the most part)

It doesn't change the fact that the academic achievements of the Cambridge applicants I met at my interviews there were higher (on average) than those of the UCL and Imperial applicants I met at those interviews

Of course this is only anecdotal 'evidence' for my earlier point

:facepalm:

Academic achievement =/= good doctor.
ShinyShiny
Is it possible to rank you by UMS? Although I am never quite sure if they can find out the UMS.

I don' think anyone knows the answer to that :rolleyes:, but a lot of applicants probably don't include the ums which could explain a lot....
digitalis
:facepalm:

Academic achievement =/= good doctor.

Thanks for that :dry:

My original point was about the standard of applicants - so there's no need to take the moral high ground just yet :rolleyes:
Moronic Acid
At Cambridge? All the offers for medicine i've seen were at least AAA

tbf though - compared to the people I talked to at UCL/Imperial, the other applicants I met at Cambridge were pretty lame (except for one - and he's coming to Imperial anyway :biggrin:)
This could be purely down to the college though . . . :ninja:

3rd October - you?

I do think that you may get more well rounded people at UCL/ICL

27th for two weeks of freshers. I think I might die, lucky I am living about 0.3 of a mile from UCH really.
Moronic Acid
Thanks for that :dry:

My original point was about the standard of applicants - so there's no need to take the moral high ground just yet :rolleyes:

It's OK, I like to pre-empt stupid posts by taking the high ground in advance.

How exactly do you judge standards?
ShinyShiny
I do think that you may get more well rounded people at UCL/ICL

27th for two weeks of freshers. I think I might die, lucky I am living about 0.3 of a mile from UCH really.

Most certainly :yep:

We get a fortnight too
I'm like 20 mins away from the campus, but I guess that should give me the chance to walk off my hangover each morning :p:
digitalis

He purely means the average grades of an offer/person.
digitalis

Good for you :top:
ShinyShiny
He purely means the average grades of an offer/person.

"In terms of the standard of applicants, i'd say Cambridge".

Really now?

Rather a bold statement to make, especially from a prefresher.

Latest

Trending

Trending