The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

916-CALL-TURK
Among other reasons ... :rolleyes:

No, not among other reasons. The main reason it gets substantially more applicants than others is because it doesn't require an admissions test.

There's no other real difference between it and many other medical schools, so if it did require an admissions test I dare say it's figures would drop down in line with other places.

Unless I've missed something, of course. What are these other reasons of which you speak?
Phalanges
No, not among other reasons. The main reason it gets substantially more applicants than others is because it doesn't require an admissions test.

There's no other real difference between it and many other medical schools, so if it did require an admissions test I dare say it's figures would drop down in line with other places.

Unless I've missed something, of course. What are these other reasons of which you speak?

:confused:

If you compare Bristol to Liverpool, which doesn't require an admissions test either, then you'll see that Bristol still gets significantly more applicants (~4000 vs. ~2500).

I agree the lack of an admissions test is probably a factor. I disagree with the opinion that it is solely because of this, however.
Phalanges

- Nice place
- Nice Uni
- High quality gash :yep:
- Liverpool/Birmingham being butters
- No PBL
- Dr. Alice Roberts :ahee:

I can think of more, honest :rolleyes:

Boomingit
what are the crests in ur sig

In order: Bristol, Durham, GKT and RUMS (thought Durham and GKT may change depending on the UKCAT :smile: )
916-CALL-TURK
- Nice place
- Nice Uni
- No PBL

)

and then theres cabot circus, banksy, the nightlife :love: hollisters!! park street, clifton, jonny depp... i loves my bristol :smile:
Hannah124
My GCSEs are poor and I want to do medicne, what did the 'poor' applicants in your year get - I got 1A*, 6As, 3Bs, would you say I have a chance?

i got worse than this and im currently doing well in terms of application :smile:
all interviews done, 1 med offer, waiting to hear final decisions from 3
JordanCarroll
i got worse than this and im currently doing well in terms of application :smile:

Well done, thats really good, where did you apply?
JordanCarroll

plus a super high ukcat score *cough* lol
Hannah124
Well done, thats really good, where did you apply?

Barts (AAA) Kings (waiting list) Newcastle (waiting for decision =longg) and manchester (just interviewed on tuesday)
also applied to UCL for chemistry (AAB)

gota get AAA dammit! :indiff::indiff::indiff:
Presidential
plus a super high decent ukcat score *cough* lol

without that UKCAT it would have most likely been 4 rejections :frown:
JordanCarroll
without that UKCAT it would have most likely been 4 rejections :frown:

lol, im sure you will have still had a decent chance.:wink:
blonde-beth
and then theres cabot circus, banksy, the nightlife :love: hollisters!! park street, clifton, jonny depp... i loves my bristol :smile:

Ugh ... Abercrombie and Hollister (especially) have cheapened horribly since they opened stores in the UK. It's almost as bad as Superdry :frown:

The person on my Bristol tour was so unintusiastic about the Banksy we passed on the way to Wills :lol:
Reply 91
I thought BSMS was a very popular choice because of location. Not sure thought, I vaguely remember some ridiculous applicant : places ratio.
Reply 92
Woody.
Yes, yes. Your GCSEs are fine. I got 1.5A*s, 5As, 6Bs and 1C. You'll do fine. There are places to avoid but equally there are loads of places that'll more than happily take you. Southampton, for example, only credit up to 7Bs whereas Birmingham want 8A*s or something. It all depends on the place, but there are plenty that'll take you (:

Wow, you applied to Cambridge with those GCSE grades. Takes alot of balls. It makes me feel far better about applying to Cambridge seeing as everyone seems to be set on crushing my dreams because my GCSE grades apparently aren't good enough. Do you mind if I ask what you got at AS Level?
Reply 93
Imperial?? I don't know :P

Cambridge can't be that hard to get into - my school got 4 people in for medicine at cambridge for next year :O
Reply 94
Scrubby
Wow, you applied to Cambridge with those GCSE grades. Takes alot of balls. It makes me feel far better about applying to Cambridge seeing as everyone seems to be set on crushing my dreams because my GCSE grades apparently aren't good enough. Do you mind if I ask what you got at AS Level?

Cambridge ask for Cs at GCSE level. I got interviewed and to the pooling stage so it's more than possible with said GCSEs. If you want to apply for Cambridge, go for it! Best of luck. I got 4 A grades at AS level, Maths was about 90% as was Chemistry, Biology was just an A and PE was around 100% (100% in the exam, a bit shy in the coursework). Don't let people crush your dreams, pursue them and who knows what you can achieve. I nearly didn't apply to Cambridge and I'm so glad I did, just to give it a shot.
HotCoco.
I thought BSMS was a very popular choice because of location. Not sure thought, I vaguely remember some ridiculous applicant : places ratio.

It was about 18:1 this year, though not sure if it's taken Bristol's prize as the most competitive :o:
Hannah124

My GCSEs are poor and I want to do medicne, what did the 'poor' applicants in your year get - I got 1A*, 6As, 3Bs, would you say I have a chance?

I got almost exactly the same as you and I have an offer. You can do it if you choose wisely.
Reply 97
Woody.
Cambridge ask for Cs at GCSE level. I got interviewed and to the pooling stage so it's more than possible with said GCSEs. If you want to apply for Cambridge, go for it! Best of luck. I got 4 A grades at AS level, Maths was about 90% as was Chemistry, Biology was just an A and PE was around 100% (100% in the exam, a bit shy in the coursework). Don't let people crush your dreams, pursue them and who knows what you can achieve. I nearly didn't apply to Cambridge and I'm so glad I did, just to give it a shot.

Nice AS grades. Hopefully I'll get around that. Thanks for easing my fears though :smile:
Reply 98
Hannah124

1A* 5.5A 2B 1C: current first year.

Just apply wisely and you've got a shot.
Reply 99
916-CALL-TURK
- Nice place
- Nice Uni
- No PBL

I can think of more, honest :rolleyes:

In order: Bristol, Durham, GKT and RUMS (thought Durham and GKT may change depending on the UKCAT :smile: )

what are GKT and RUMS

Latest

Trending

Trending