The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
tek290
Well i have never sat a Law exam before but the questions i chose didnt seem to want much detail. I did the Statutory Interpretation question and it said 'Briefly describe three judicial approaches to interpreting a statute'
Something to that affect anyway. So because of the bold three i didnt right about intrinsic or extrinsic aids or even language rules. Just wrote about Golden, Mischief and Literal with case examples.

The EU question was similar, 3 law making things, quite limited....

With precedent was I right to talk about other things besides law reports, ratio and obeter?
Reply 41
2 and a half pages on work of Solicitor and Barrister, you must be kidding me i couldnt think of enough to fill 2 pages. You must have really big handwriting to write 7 pages on Module 3, i only wrote about 5 and a half and could have wrote lots more aswell but an hour is nowhere near long enough for Module 3.

P.S Big handwriting is always my excuse
Reply 42
tek290
2 and a half pages on work of Solicitor and Barrister, you must be kidding me i couldnt think of enough to fill 2 pages. You must have really big handwriting to write 7 pages on Module 3, i only wrote about 5 and a half and could have wrote lots more aswell but an hour is nowhere near long enough for Module 3.

P.S Big handwriting is always my excuse

I have medium handwriting and write a lot of words per line. People say a page from me is like a page and a half from most people.

Barrister/solicitor was 2 essays in one! It wasn't only about work, but also the blurring... easy to write a lot. :smile:

But my hand is DEAD after 10 exams this summer.
Reply 43
With precedent was I right to talk about other things besides law reports, ratio and obeter?

Well i talked about the importance of reports, ratio and obiter. But when its so specific a question i never know whether to write about other things such as the Court Structure. How many marks was that question?
Reply 44
tek290
Well i talked about the importance of reports, ratio and obiter. But when its so specific a question i never know whether to write about other things such as the Court Structure. How many marks was that question?

15 marks, and I'd done half a page with the 3 things they asked. The cases I know are on court hierarchy and distinguishing, so I decided I just had to put those in, and hope it's relevant!
Reply 45
Hell yeh, lay people and ADR came up. ^_^
Reply 46
I did module 3 today.

Blimey the offence was a bit drastic! first smacking the bloke over the head
and then cutting out his tongue! :eek: AND ALL THIS WHY HE WAS ASLEEP!

Wasn't too bad I didn't think although they wanted DUTY, BREACH AND DAMAGE all together for 15 marks.
These subjects can go on forever! I could of wrote about just one of them and got 15 marks I reckon!
:smile: :smile:
Reply 47
Kard
Hell yeh, lay people and ADR came up. ^_^

Hell yeah, lay people and legal profession that I could actually do came up. :biggrin:

terri
I did module 3 today.

Blimey the offence was a bit drastic! first smacking the bloke over the head
and then cutting out his tongue! AND ALL THIS WHY HE WAS ASLEEP!

Wasn't too bad I didn't think although they wanted DUTY, BREACH AND DAMAGE all together for 15 marks.
These subjects can go on forever! I could of wrote about just one of them and got 15 marks I reckon!

Yeah, I would usually say a lot about one offence and a little about a second it could possibly, but there was no way this was antyhing but section 18 GBH! I said maybe section 20, though that's not true... but they like you to say a second possibility.

I dunno about 15 marks for duty or causation, for breach it might be possible. I did write a lot on that but I ended up listing the cases instead of describing them, just to show I'd spent all those hours remembering them! :p:
Reply 48
Haha, everyone read the tounge bit and looked around at each other like "wtf m8".
Reply 49
Well, I did get into the supplementary sheets on all 3, so the quantity is good, certainly. On module 2 judges though, I got stuck- it asked about appointments, and after you've talked about secret soundings and open competition, how much else is there? Grrr.

Module 3 (done second, for some reason), they asked before hand to "turn over the question paper, and check it's a clean one". Idiots. I spent several minutes checking that it indeed had no other markings- in fact, I checked each word individually, and had an answer formulated whole minutes before the actual exam. Who the hell would've used them anyway?
Reply 50
Module 3 (done second, for some reason), they asked before hand to "turn over the question paper, and check it's a clean one". Idiots. I spent several minutes checking that it indeed had no other markings- in fact, I checked each word individually, and had an answer forumulated whole minutes before the actual exam. Who the hell would've used them anyway?

You could have an answer formulated for unit 3 about a month before the exam :P
Reply 51
Kard
You could have an answer formulated for unit 3 about a month before the exam :P

Aye, you have a point there. :biggrin:
Reply 52
Hmm, touch and go really - I'd be over the moon if I managed to get a C on it but I don't think I put enough in :frown: - as long as I get a C / D / E I'll just carry the course on and re-sit the lot in January. :frown: - I won't leave revision till last minute again, well not for law anyway. :wink:

One good thing though is that was my last exam for now. *woo* :p: :cool:
Reply 53
Just to add:

LAW1 (4164 candidates)
Grade Max.
mark A B C D E
Scaled Boundary Mark 65 49 45 41 38 35
Uniform Boundary Mark 90 72 63 54 45 36

LAW2 (5883 candidates)
Grade Max.
mark A B C D E
Scaled Boundary Mark 65 47 43 39 35 31
Uniform Boundary Mark 90 72 63 54 45 36

LAW3 (4354 candidates)
Grade Max.
mark A B C D E
Scaled Boundary Mark 65 45 40 35 31 27
Uniform Boundary Mark 120 96 84 72 60 48
OMG IT'S OVER :biggrin: :p:

I am so knackered :frown: I hate those hour time limits they're not enough

Module 2 - lovely questions, we were lucky there - I found it hard choosing as 4 of the 5 were easily do-able, but I went for lay people cos I knew some nice quotes for it, and ADR cos I was running a bit short for time and advs and disadvs can be covered in under 10 mins. Think I wrote 11 pages but at least I kept within the booklet this time lol.

Think I did well on that one but module 3 was harder because the time limit is ridiculous; I was in such a rush that for "factors to take into account when sentencing" I totally forgot to write all the stuff I learnt this morning on aims of sentencing, statutes etc :rolleyes: - sooooooo frustrating! Just wrote about pre sentence reports, aggravating factors (e.g. premeditation and weapons use) antecedents and plea in mitigation - will that get me any marks or was it irrelevant?? anyone got any idea how many marks you'd get for that? Maybe 3 or 4 I thought.

I got section 18 GBH too. The tongue thing was absolutely gross :eek: everyone looked so digusted at the beginning! Did a rubbish answer for the last q as only had 5 minutes due to descriptions of duty breach and damages taking FOREVER, even though I wrote a really abridged version - ditto for the strict liability and omissions q, tis just mean to combine stuff :wink:

Well if you get high marks on mods 1 and 2, I suppose you can afford to lose marks on 3.

Well done everyone sounds like everyone here did a really good paper :smile: Anyone else practically fainting with relief that it's over?? I spent 5 days learning both mods from scratch and feel half dead now
Reply 55
Can someone explain the marks for me. I don't get all the scaled and boundary whatever... :confused:
Reply 56
*Bethany*
Think I did well on that one but module 3 was harder because the time limit is ridiculous; I was in such a rush that for "factors to take into account when sentencing" I totally forgot to write all the stuff I learnt this morning on aims of sentencing, statutes etc :rolleyes: - sooooooo frustrating! Just wrote about pre sentence reports, aggravating factors (e.g. premeditation and weapons use) antecedents and plea in mitigation - will that get me any marks or was it irrelevant?? anyone got any idea how many marks you'd get for that? Maybe 3 or 4 I thought.

All they wanted was aggravating and mitigating factors. Saying a few will get you about 5 marks, I said a dozen aggravating and half a dozen mitigating ones...

I did about 4 sentences on the levels of sentence, like discharge, fine etc, then a small para about deterence vs rehibilitation.

But it wanted the factors to take into account. You did that then you get a lot of marks, the rest may enhance it by 1 or 2 marks.

So sounds like you have 6/7.
Reply 57
Had my re-sit of Sources of Law today.

My my, AS level is such much easier than A2!!! It was almost like a homework excerice compared to what we get now! Confident i done well, and i answered the questions on Delegated Legislation. Now i got Contract 2 & the Special studies paper to wait for.

Highlight of my day: Watching the look on the first year's faces as all the second years left after 1 hour.. lol.. priceless

**edit oops... i do OCR.
tis_me_lord
All they wanted was aggravating and mitigating factors. Saying a few will get you about 5 marks, I said a dozen aggravating and half a dozen mitigating ones...

I did about 4 sentences on the levels of sentence, like discharge, fine etc, then a small para about deterence vs rehibilitation.

But it wanted the factors to take into account. You did that then you get a lot of marks, the rest may enhance it by 1 or 2 marks.

So sounds like you have 6/7.

Sounds like you got 10 - well done :biggrin:! I was just in such a rush (was running behind on time as usual...) I couldn't think straight! 6-7 marks would be fabulous I hope you're right - I didn't think it would be that many.Hopefully I'll only need 60-80 marks on that paper which helps, and I think my tort 15 marker went well, so fingers crossed.

I can barely move my limbs :eek: Everytime I leave revision til last minute and end up feeling like this, I swear I'll never do it again. Ha.
Reply 59
I really dont know how anyone can write 11 pages on Module 2. Our law teacher must be quite poor. For the factors that a judge needs to take into account we were only ever taught 5:

1) What is the max. sentence available?
2) Does the Power of Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000 apply?
3) Were there any aggravating or mitigating factors?
4) What do we hope to achieve by punishing the defendant?
5) Is there any discount available? Max. 30%

Latest

Trending

Trending