The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Seems like the grade boundaries for an A are really low, or is it just me?
Reply 61
tek290
I really dont know how anyone can write 11 pages on Module 2. Our law teacher must be quite poor. For the factors that a judge needs to take into account we were only ever taught 5:

1) What is the max. sentence available?
2) Does the Power of Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000 apply?
3) Were there any aggravating or mitigating factors?
4) What do we hope to achieve by punishing the defendant?
5) Is there any discount available? Max. 30%

That's fine, it wanted you to list the aggravating and mitigating factors, like racism, commited on bail, bad criminal record vs showing remorse and pleading guilty etc...

Stuff like aims and level of sentencing was irrelevant but enhansing.
Reply 62
tek290
Seems like the grade boundaries for an A are really low, or is it just me?

Just you, same as other subjects.

*Bethany*
Sounds like you got 10 - well done ! I was just in such a rush (was running behind on time as usual...) I couldn't think straight! 6-7 marks would be fabulous I hope you're right - I didn't think it would be that many.Hopefully I'll only need 60-80 marks on that paper which helps, and I think my tort 15 marker went well, so fingers crossed.

I can barely move my limbs Everytime I leave revision til last minute and end up feeling like this, I swear I'll never do it again. Ha.

My dad teaches it well, once he got 39 A's out of 41 students, with 12 getting full marks... so I hope I get a good A. :eek:

I started revision for this in October, it helped, as the first 2/3 of module 3 came back to me within an hour. :smile:
Reply 63
tis_me_lord
That's fine, it wanted you to list the aggravating and mitigating factors, like racism, commited on bail, bad criminal record vs showing remorse and pleading guilty etc...

Stuff like aims and level of sentencing was irrelevant but enhansing.

I'm pretty sure stuff like the PSR, antecedents, witness impact statements and plea in mitigation could easily get marks. I also included stuff on the CJA1991 regarding sentencing (tariffs, etc), but not sure if that's as relevant.
2 5 +
I'm pretty sure stuff like the PSR, antecedents, witness impact statements and plea in mitigation could easily get marks. I also included stuff on the CJA1991 regarding sentencing (tariffs, etc), but not sure if that's as relevant.

The first things you listed are basically what I wrote about. I learnt sentencing the morning before the exam, so was quite frustrated afterwards that due to the rush I hadn't thought to write about the acts I'd learnt like Criminal Justice Act 2003 and Powers of Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000 - also forgot to mention aims of sentencing which I knew really well :frown:. Oh well. I think my answer basically consisted of: they'd take into account the use of weaponry and the premeditation; it might act against him i.e. higher sentence. Then I just mentioned pleas in mitigation, pre sentence reports, how a couple of things like an underprivileged social background might be taken into account - not much really. I'd be happy with 5/10 marks for that one.

I had 5 mins to apply duty, breach and damages to the tort case - only had time to rush through it naming the questions, factors involved etc and v briefly why it satisfied each. Do you need to use cases or acts in application, or is it ok if you just use them in the 15 mark explanation?
Reply 65
*Bethany*
I had 5 mins to apply duty, breach and damages to the tort case - only had time to rush through it naming the questions, factors involved etc and v briefly why it satisfied each. Do you need to use cases or acts in application, or is it ok if you just use them in the 15 mark explanation?

Hmmm, I listed cases in the definitons, and in the application I did a couple of relelvant ones and explained why I was putting them in. But I don't know if that's the best way or antyhing!

I finished all my exams early. Not just law, all exams. Bad sign. :frown:

My dad was on today about how much harder A2 law is... great!

Latest

Trending

Trending