The Student Room Group

All arts and social science students - lets fight back against this discrimination

Afterall all the raising of the tuition fee arguments going on today, there has been a remarkable number of people commenting that Arts subjects and social sciences are worthless degrees and those studying them should pay more in fees than sciences.

I am sticking up for all top arts and social science grads. I.e. those doing decent traditional subjects like history, english, politics, classics, philosophy, Geography, Law, e.t.c

What annoys me is that at most top universities all the above corses have AAA-AAB minimum entry requirements (with students often having over 450 UCAS points) and have 10-15+ applicants for every place. Therefore, these students are generally the universities most qualified and best in their peer group. However, frequently engineering and science courses have CCC-ABB offers and can notr fill their places, with many people get in through clearing. Yet for some reason these are considered better academically.

Sorry but for me that is utter tripe because their courses are not in any way harder than arts or social science courses. They are simply better at different things. Yes the world needs engineers and scientists but they also need journalists, teachers, businessmen and politicians, all of which do not need a science or engineering degree. What happened to the good old days when university was about academic fulfilment and learning, not about how you can best suit your future business employer.

P.S, yes believe it or not people have been slagging off general artsy degrees and saying those studying them should pay more because they benefit the tax payer less, not just media and performance studies students.

Rant over

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think you said it all there, I don't really have much to add! I completely agree. The number of times I've had "well what's the point in studying philosophy?" asked of me...
AfghanistanBananistan
What annoys me is that at most top universities all the above corses have AAA-AAB minimum entry requirements (with students often having over 450 UCAS points) and have 10-15+ applicants for every place. Therefore, these students are generally the universities most qualified and best in their peer group. However, frequently engineering and science courses have CCC-ABB offers and can notr fill their places, with many people get in through clearing. Yet for some reason these are considered better academically.

Could you back up these figures? AAA or AAB is typical at top universities for the sciences, as well.
Reply 3
I do agree with the majority of what has been said but I don't think it is the more traditional arts subjects being targeted.
It is the media studies, film studies etc degrees that are being seen as weak! Rightly or wrongly it is not for me to say but you know...
i applied for physics last year, and all of my offers were AAA or AAB. i didnt apply to oxbridge.

the problem is that there are far fewer science departments, many have closed in the last 10 years. it is traditionally more expensive to run a science department, because of the need for equipment, materials, etc. there are the same number of applicants per place for science as english.

i think the 'discrimination' is against subjects like media studies and textiles, rather than law, politics, english, etc.
Currently, STEM graduates are in greater demand. So it makes sense to favour STEM programmes.

If we ever find physicists are ten to the dozen and history grads are in demand then im sure the opposite will be true.
Reply 6
jsoh?
I do agree with the majority of what has been said but I don't think it is the more traditional arts subjects being targeted.

This. I don't think anybody has claimed that degrees like English, History and Law are useless.
English Lit here. All the snobbery I get off the scientists really fecks me off.
Reply 8
Mhm. Annoyed about people dissing Music too.
35mm_
English Lit here. All the snobbery I get off the scientists really fecks me off.

To be honest its just as bad the other way, but you probably don't see it.
I think you've got the wrong idea here OP...People aren't criticising all arts/social sciences degrees, but the degrees like media studies etc. I'm planning to do German at uni, and employers are still raving about languages, history, politics etc- all of which are "arts" subjects...
ChemistBoy
To be honest its just as bad the other way, but you probably don't see it.

How is it? I rarely see any of my fellow humanity comrades claiming physics or medicine, for example, are "worthless" degrees.
Reply 12
ROFL arts students thinking logically about stuff :rofl:
Reply 13
YES!!! My parents are Asian and they really want me to do stuff like Medicine, accounting, finance etc because i'd have a steady job.. sigh...
Too bad I want to study sociology... as an overseas student too with sky high uni tuition fees!
Higgy90
ROFL arts students thinking logically about stuff :rofl:

:p: :yep:
Reply 15
This is stupid.

I am doing science, used to do art at uni, and the subjects people look down on are BA Lipgloss Theory and BSC Rabbit Cuddling, not English, Law and History. Stop the inferiority complex.
If you look at all of the comments in papers like the Times, Telegraph and Mail, then tons and tons of 'older people' rant on about how people should not study any arty subject at all and those that do should not get loans, as people keep on asking 'what benefit to the economy with an english degree be'? I find that this happens a hell of alot.

To back up what some have said here, i used to get stick off of loads of science students about how great their degree was and 'what use is a history degree' and the like.
I don't care, the less popular language courses get, the more chance I have of getting in, woop!
Sorry that ^^ is a very selfish view :tongue:
In all seriousness I agree that saying that arts courses are less useful than courses such as Medicine, Economics, Engineering ect is quite unfair. True we need doctors to survive and scientists to develop new technology, research fuels ect, but without arts degrees we wouldn't be able to communicate with other countries, produce new and exciting literature as well as exploring old ones or have such well designed buildings.
A lot of degrees such as media and the like are very vocational and IMO instead of sending them to uni to study they should go straight into some sort of scheme to give them first hand experience, perhaps paying for the training instead? :dontknow: I know a lot of people who have gone to uni to study 'events management' - why?! They would be better off going into a job straight away and learning that way, surely?
AfghanistanBananistan
What happened to the good old days when university was about academic fulfilment and learning, not about how you can best suit your future business employer.

Well i unlike you do not have 20 grand to blow on university education or have the time to waste three years of my life. Therefore i want a degree with the best earning potential.

Latest

Trending

Trending