The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I went to about 4-5 lectures in the whole of my second year and passed fine, then again studying English, it doesn't really seem to matter about lectures as long as you've read the texts / know what you're talking about.
everything's online anyway :smile:
In my first year I missed 2/3 of all maths lectures and got the same marks as for my other subjects. What counts if whether or not you actually do the work i.e. problems, essays etc. Merely sitting through a lecture is not going to teach you that much long term and so missing one or a few is not a big deal either.
Reply 22
No but when i missed a few you start to really get behind.
Reply 23
It really depends on the course and university, as well as yourself. Is it a good lecturer who can explain the content well? Are notes available online, and if so, are they detailed or does the lecture dictate some parts of the lecture which cant be found online?

For some modules out there, you'll rarely need to go to a lecture. I went to 3/14 lectures for one of my modules and got a 2:1 on the assigned essay (simply because each lecture talked about something completely different, and our essay was from a list of 7 topics... one topic was covered by two lectures).

From personal experience, it can be very helpful to attend lectures if you are doing a science, especially if the lecturer is engaging. Tougher theories are made much simpler if you have a good lecturer explaining it to you (rather than staring at some text which makes no sense).
Reply 24
Well it depends, some lectures are unmissable while others you could go a whole year without attending and still perform well in the exam!
Reply 25
No, it won't be the end of the world if you miss one lecture.

Just don't make a habit of missing them :smile:
It's not a big deal, but I wouldn't recommend making a habit of it.
Reply 27
So I decided to be good, and not miss it, and get a later train. Found one that was only £10 difference.

Decided it was stupid to actually plan to miss something unless I really have to.
Lell
You are talking absolute bullcrap. I have never heard of a uni which gives out detentions ffs!:rolleyes:

Lol calm down honey...
Pitogi
...you miss a lecture?

I'm not planning to miss a lot - but I'm trying to book a train to go visit someone, and it'll cost me about £30 more to get one late enough that I don't miss it.

What would you do?

Depends on your course + uni; at Lancaster none of my departments checked whether we turned up to lectures or not but for people studying Geography they were given a key fob that they had to have swiped at every lecture...

One or two won't hurt but don't make a habit of it because it is very, very easy to slip into..

Just check what your course says about it :smile:
just photocopy some smart kid's notes init

Latest

Trending

Trending