The Student Room Group

how to get a first

I know you need to be dedicated, focussed and intelligent, and I know that different courses differ in difficulty but my ambition is to get a first.
Having obtained my gcse's and a-levels it is my goal to get a first at Uni.
Looking at my record I have not yet demonstrated I have the potential to get a first, but still I believe with the right ingredients I can hammer my way to a first.
This thread has been done loads. Search for them?
Reply 2
*Star*Guitar*
This thread has been done loads. Search for them?

A thread is unique to the person who made it
study a subject you excel at :yep:
Reply 4
Anon the 7th
study a subject you excel at :yep:

I excel at English but am studying geography
Don't suck.
Hold down R1+L1; hit x twice; press: up, down, right, left, up, left
Reply 7
As much as I hate to say it, it is generally easier in subjects where there are clear cut answers. For example, Maths.
I got a first and scholarship (for Maths) in my first year - shame it doesn't count for anything
know you lectuers very well. always see them outside of lecturers in their office to explain things to you that you didn't understand. they will think you are keen and dedicated and so will give you more sympathy and will establish a good relationship with you. After lectures when people leave, be the last to leave, stay behind, talk to the lecturer, tell them you ambitions, ask them for advice etc

also, make a habit of going to the library alot, atleast once every two weeks or something. do extra reading, work etc. Reearch articles about your field and bring up a discussion about it with your peers and lecturer.

Furthermore, try to hang around with like-minded students.
Reply 9
(My psychology teacher): A woman I went to uni with spent a whole month on 'speed' during her exams and got a first - then spent two months on a downer - just for the first'
LOL =|
Reply 10
TheMadMan
I know you need to be dedicated, focussed and intelligent, and I know that different courses differ in difficulty but my ambition is to get a first.
Having obtained my gcse's and a-levels it is my goal to get a first at Uni.
Looking at my record I have not yet demonstrated I have the potential to get a first, but still I believe with the right ingredients I can hammer my way to a first.

what is this meant to be? a guide?
I dont understand
ummm...
good for you?
Work damn hard and put prioritise studying above everything else.
Reply 12
Be attractive.
Reply 13
Depends on the uni/course. Seems like a nice thing to aim for. But keep in mind this isn't school anymore. You're with people of roughly the same "intelligence" and work isn't easy. I'm only on my second week of uni and already I can see that I'll be struggling come a few months time just to pass, let alone even thinking about a first!
Maker
Be attractive.

Worked for me.
TheMadMan
A thread is unique to the person who made it

No really. Use search :sigh:
See? This didn't exactly take me very long.

Latest

Trending

Trending